A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby ronk » January 31st, 2019, 8:38 pm

Carbery has done well but not surprisingly well. Another year of development and a run without injury has been good. I can’t say that he’s doing better than if he stayed.

Munster have acquired a lot of talent for their back line and adding a star like Carbery has not brought them on a huge amount.

I don’t think he’s done much on the pitch that puts Sexton under any real selection pressure. Maybe in time it will change, I will reappraise if it does.

He’s an immensely talented player with some kinks. I still have a fear that Munster will adapt to those kinks rather than iron them out.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9544
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 1st, 2019, 10:38 am

Thus far, I'm a Carbery, rather than Byrne fan. However, Joey certainly didn't perform against Castres away and that sort of environment is where the top level excel.

My read on the Exeter game was that Murray, and probably Van Grann, decided that Munster were largely going to play 9-man rigby with a lot of ball in the air. Joey largely was starved of possession and didn't do muck with what he got.

Joey is maturing. Whether it's fast enough, or even as fast as he would have with Lancaster and Conteponi, is a moot point. I've yet to be convinced that Munster have Attack Coach of real quality so he may have to learn mostly in Irish Camp.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby D4surfer » February 1st, 2019, 10:41 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:Thus far, I'm a Carbery, rather than Byrne fan. However, Joey certainly didn't perform against Castres away and that sort of environment is where the top level excel.

My read on the Exeter game was that Murray, and probably Van Grann, decided that Munster were largely going to play 9-man rigby with a lot of ball in the air. Joey largely was starved of possession and didn't do muck with what he got.

Joey is maturing. Whether it's fast enough, or even as fast as he would have with Lancaster and Conteponi, is a moot point. I've yet to be convinced that Munster have Attack Coach of real quality so he may have to learn mostly in Irish Camp.


He didn't do much either.
D4surfer
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 392
Joined: May 13th, 2009, 11:34 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 1st, 2019, 3:34 pm

D4surfer wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Thus far, I'm a Carbery, rather than Byrne fan. However, Joey certainly didn't perform against Castres away and that sort of environment is where the top level excel.

My read on the Exeter game was that Murray, and probably Van Grann, decided that Munster were largely going to play 9-man rigby with a lot of ball in the air. Joey largely was starved of possession and didn't do muck with what he got.

Joey is maturing. Whether it's fast enough, or even as fast as he would have with Lancaster and Conteponi, is a moot point. I've yet to be convinced that Munster have Attack Coach of real quality so he may have to learn mostly in Irish Camp.


He didn't do much either.


Touche´
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 6th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Excellent article by Darce in IT today. With their wall I don't have tecnical capacity to post it but worth a read.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3990
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby wixfjord » February 14th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Interesting interview with Emmet Byrne. He's a smart guy. Albeit you will need to listen to 'Go Easy' too. You've been warned! https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/have-ir ... -world-cup
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4596
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby TrapperChamonix » February 15th, 2019, 8:17 am

wixfjord wrote:Interesting interview with Emmet Byrne. He's a smart guy. Albeit you will need to listen to 'Go Easy' too. You've been warned! https://soundcloud.com/rtesport/have-ir ... -world-cup


Dear God, "go easy" makes that un listenable. Would have like to listen to more of Emmet but I had to turn it off.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby johng » February 15th, 2019, 8:43 am

It's available in your favourite podcast app btw. You don't have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous SoundCloud or it's web player.
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17742
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Dexter » February 15th, 2019, 12:09 pm

RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.
Dont Panic!
User avatar
Dexter
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Peg Leg » February 15th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.
'Fuck outta here with your measured commentary
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Dexter » February 15th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.
'Fuck outta here with your measured commentary

Yeah ok, sorry...i forgot... :arrow:
Dont Panic!
User avatar
Dexter
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby the spoofer » February 15th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.


Compare the journalistic ability of Hugo from this parish with anything bar MK and it shows up how poorly the main newspapers rugby journalism is. Simple facts kills the premise that Deegan isn't getting a chance. He has featured in 14 games this season and has 35 caps as a 22 year old.
User avatar
the spoofer
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Dexter » February 15th, 2019, 2:05 pm

the spoofer wrote:
Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.


Compare the journalistic ability of Hugo from this parish with anything bar MK and it shows up how poorly the main newspapers rugby journalism is. Simple facts kills the premise that Deegan isn't getting a chance. He has featured in 14 games this season and has 35 caps as a 22 year old.

So this 22 y/o has only featured in 70% of our games so far this season?!! I always wondered what the definition of a "logjam" was.... :)
I'm being over-sensitive but sometimes I feel like there's a journalistic crusade to move as many talented players out of Leinster as possible.
Dont Panic!
User avatar
Dexter
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2880
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby riocard911 » February 15th, 2019, 2:09 pm

the spoofer wrote:
Dexter wrote:RO'C in the Indo (whom I generally like) writes an article on Deegan, repeatedly referencing a "logjam" in the backrow at Leinster and how it's limiting his opportunities.
Personally, I don't agree and think that "logjam" is an overstatement.


Compare the journalistic ability of Hugo from this parish with anything bar MK and it shows up how poorly the main newspapers rugby journalism is. Simple facts kills the premise that Deegan isn't getting a chance. He has featured in 14 games this season and has 35 caps as a 22 year old.


+1 :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
riocard911
Mullet
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby ronk » February 15th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Logjam is a complete fiction. Look at tomorrow’s team for Zebre.

We now have the least backrow depth of any province in real terms.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9544
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » February 15th, 2019, 7:27 pm

"featured" doesn't mean starts though, and obviously some of those appearances haven't been at 8. I presume he just wants to play at 8 and have no idea what his feelings are about playing elsewhere, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he might think he should be getting more time at 8.

It can't have been easy for him to see Leavy and SOB in at 8 (and play badly) this season either. The way he finished last season made me think that he had even had a shot at overtaking Conan and I'd wager that he was backing himself to make that happen. The fact that it hasn't and Doris seems to be getting more of a shot to stake a claim at 8 (and I'm not talking about the number of appearances, it's more nuanced than that and Doris starting the first game of the season at 8 is a prime example) makes it totally understandable that he might want to move IMO. Haven't read ROC's piece so don't know what else he said but I think it's naive just to look at the number of appearances and expect Deegan to be content.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11951
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby leinsterforever » February 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Munster could have a logjam at eight if they developed O'Donoghue (who has gone backwards since his U20s days imo), Coombes, O'Sullivan and now Hodnett. Easier to sign up Botha though.
leinsterforever
Enlightened
 
Posts: 976
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

A whiff of Cordite

Postby Serb » February 16th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Ah look, we shouldn’t have to concern ourselves with what Munster do, but their inability or unwillingness to develop talent is beginning to take it’s toll.

A friend of mine has been harping on about Bill Johnston, “special talent” etc etc, he’s 22 with 9 appearances for Munster at this point - a club who have been crying out for quality at 10 for multiple seasons.

Frawley has played more times for Leinster and only emerged last season. By the same age, we had also given significant game time to both Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery, and this is with literally the best 10 in the world sitting ahead of them in the pecking order.

Right now it feels more like Doris and Deegan will end up down south than any of those talents being developed by Munster.
Last edited by Serb on February 16th, 2019, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serb
Bookworm
 
Posts: 133
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby fourthirtythree » February 16th, 2019, 3:29 pm

It looks like the management down south are facing impatience and success is demanded. They neglected the academy for years and now short term ism in the first team is leaving them wihh nowhere to go.

It's a tricky balancing act that the provinces are forced into, and one Leinster recently failed badly at. You can understand the frustration at Munster though. Enough rebuilding, on witjh winning. It's just surprising the IRFU indulges them.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9100
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby hugonaut » February 16th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Serb wrote:Ah look, we shouldn’t have to concern ourselves with what Munster do, but their inability or unwillingness to develop talent is beginning to take it’s toll.

A friend of mine has been harping on about Bill Johnston, “special talent” etc etc, he’s 22 with 9 appearances for Munster at this point - a club who have been crying out for quality at 10 for multiple seasons.

Frawley has played more times for Leinster and only emerged last season. By the same age, we had also given significant game time to both Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery, and this is with literally the best 10 in the world sitting ahead of them in the pecking order.

Right now it feels more like Doris and Deegan will end up down south than any of those talents being developed by Munster.


Was just thinking the same thing with regards to Johnson. He's a good player and Munster are doing very, very little to further his development.

The IRFU should pressure him to move to Connacht to provide a 1-2 combination with Jack Carthy, in the same manner they pressured Carbery. Get the move done this season 'for the good of Irish rugby' – the backline coaching in Connacht seems a lot more advanced than in Munster and Johnston will get a lot more time on the pitch.

Since Johnston's promotion to the Munster senior squad before the 2017-18 season, he has played in a total of 8 games [3+5, 259 mins]. There are three outhalves ahead of him in his province: Athy man Joey Carbery [23], Kerry's JJ Hanrahan [26] and Christchurch-born Tyler Bleyendaal [28]. van Graan was fiddling around with Bleyendaal at No12 but obviously just selected him at outhalf for the last match, against the absolutely f*cking tragic Southern Queens. If Johnston can't get a spot on the bench in a home fixture during the Six Nations against cr@p opposition, where's his career going?
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4879
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot] and 2 guests