A whiff of Cordite

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby cormac » November 11th, 2019, 9:42 am

curates_egg wrote:Cummiskey suggesting Ross Byrne could move to Munster!
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4078436
I hope he's just trolling.


It's actually Harry Byrne but that doesn't make it any less ludicrous.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby curates_egg » November 11th, 2019, 9:52 am

cormac wrote:It's actually Harry Byrne but that doesn't make it any less ludicrous.


Sorry. Changed. I typed too quickly.
I presume it must be Cummiskey trolling? He's part of our European squad, so unless that changes this week, he's cup tied, no?
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby ronk » November 11th, 2019, 10:10 am

I wouldn't think even Nucifora would take that mid season switch seriously.

Cummisky is serious though: there's young talent so why not see if you can take some credit for prying it loose. It's a puny but hes thinking about a longer term move really.

Harry Byrne would be daft to consider it for a second. Ross will probably be somewhat involved for the 6N and Sexton will have managed minutes. Hes in the HC squad already. He's in a great place, really great.

Healy won't be looked at without injuries to Bleyandaal and Scannell. And even if that happens they won't give him the ball, Murray will kick everything himself.

Any young outhalf would be a fool to go to Munster so soon after what happened to Keatley and Johnston.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9842
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby fourthirtythree » November 11th, 2019, 11:23 am

ronk wrote:Any young outhalf would be a fool to go to Munster so soon after what happened to Keatley and Johnston.


Absolutely. It's no accident Munster haven't produced an outhalf since Ronan O'Gara. That's over 20 years. For comparison Leinster have produced five international outhalves in that period.
Fly you fools!
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9248
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby riocard911 » November 11th, 2019, 11:49 am

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:Any young outhalf would be a fool to go to Munster so soon after what happened to Keatley and Johnston.


Absolutely. It's no accident Munster haven't produced an outhalf since Ronan O'Gara. That's over 20 years. For comparison Leinster have produced five international outhalves in that period.
Fly you fools!


Don't forget Double Jesus! How's his Test career progressed since the U20s?.......
riocard911
Mullet
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby ronk » November 11th, 2019, 12:54 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:Any young outhalf would be a fool to go to Munster so soon after what happened to Keatley and Johnston.


Absolutely. It's no accident Munster haven't produced an outhalf since Ronan O'Gara. That's over 20 years. For comparison Leinster have produced five international outhalves in that period.
Fly you fools!


It's 10 years, we had a dry period before then.

I count McKinley, so it's 6.

Healy was captaining the As last year. Would it have killed Munster to give him a run with a RWC on and people away?
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9842
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Dave Cahill » November 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm

He refused to change his name to van Healwyck
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 22073
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » November 11th, 2019, 1:03 pm

"That is the general unspoken consensus"...great writing as always.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Jennings
 
Posts: 12627
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby fourthirtythree » November 11th, 2019, 1:21 pm

ronk wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:Any young outhalf would be a fool to go to Munster so soon after what happened to Keatley and Johnston.


Absolutely. It's no accident Munster haven't produced an outhalf since Ronan O'Gara. That's over 20 years. For comparison Leinster have produced five international outhalves in that period.
Fly you fools!


It's 10 years, we had a dry period before then.

I count McKinley, so it's 6.

Healy was captaining the As last year. Would it have killed Munster to give him a run with a RWC on and people away?


It's 20 since O'Gara came through.

Yes, it would have killed Munster to give Healy a run. That's why it's 20 years,
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9248
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Twist » November 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm

curates_egg wrote:Cummiskey suggesting Harry Byrne could move to Munster!
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4078436
I hope he's just trolling.


He also used the phrase "worse case scenario" instead of "worst case". Unforgiveable.
User avatar
Twist
Enlightened
 
Posts: 955
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Twist » November 11th, 2019, 1:41 pm

That is the general unspoken consensus as the Irish provinces struggle to cope with mounting injury lists in the wake of the World Cup misadventure in Japan.

Munster and Connacht are in particular bother with the western province facing a full-scale second row crisis now that Sean O’Brien (shoulder) and Ultan Dillane (back) have joined Gavin Thornbury and Quinn Roux in the infirmary.

An update on the seriousness of Ireland prop Dave Kilcoyne’s injury, suffered while scrummaging in Limerick last week, is due on Monday.


Such shite from Cummiskey. He says the provinces are struggling to cope with injuries "in the wake of the World Cup", but then lists five players each of whom were injured away from the World Cup.
User avatar
Twist
Enlightened
 
Posts: 955
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby joooooe » November 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm

ronk wrote:Yes, it would have killed Munster to give Healy a run. That's why it's 20 years,


Munster somehow feel they absolutely have to win the next game, no matter the competition, no matter the opposition, no matter the circumstances. There's something to be said for that mindset, I suppose.

But where they have fallen down is that they have translated this into having to pick the best available 23 every week. (If you think the IRFU player welfare/game time management system annoys people here have a quick look over in Shelbyville.)

Look at the reaction to JJ Hanrahan pulling a hammy: "must sign a medical joker!" You already have a medical joker half back but he's been there for a year and a half. "The IRFU took our outhalves!" You hounded out Keatley and refused to give Johnston the game time so he took to the N7. You have the captain of the Grand Slam winning Ireland under 20s, an out half! Play him!

In similar circumstances a few years ago I seem to remember Cathal Marsh starting a Heineken Cup match. Ditto 2 years ago against Exeter when Byrne came on after 10 minutes and played a blinder. Ulster just started an interpro with Angus Curtis at 10. Conor Fitzgerald (another player ignored by Munster) has started for Connacht this year. Leinster have started games in 2019 with Frawley or H Byrne.

Munster really are the only ones who behave like this. Good discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25524
joooooe
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 296
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Oldschool » November 11th, 2019, 7:00 pm

joooooe wrote:
ronk wrote:Yes, it would have killed Munster to give Healy a run. That's why it's 20 years,


Munster somehow feel they absolutely have to win the next game, no matter the competition, no matter the opposition, no matter the circumstances. There's something to be said for that mindset, I suppose.

But where they have fallen down is that they have translated this into having to pick the best available 23 every week. (If you think the IRFU player welfare/game time management system annoys people here have a quick look over in Shelbyville.)

Look at the reaction to JJ Hanrahan pulling a hammy: "must sign a medical joker!" You already have a medical joker half back but he's been there for a year and a half. "The IRFU took our outhalves!" You hounded out Keatley and refused to give Johnston the game time so he took to the N7. You have the captain of the Grand Slam winning Ireland under 20s, an out half! Play him!

In similar circumstances a few years ago I seem to remember Cathal Marsh starting a Heineken Cup match. Ditto 2 years ago against Exeter when Byrne came on after 10 minutes and played a blinder. Ulster just started an interpro with Angus Curtis at 10. Conor Fitzgerald (another player ignored by Munster) has started for Connacht this year. Leinster have started games in 2019 with Frawley or H Byrne.

Munster really are the only ones who behave like this. Good discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25524

A very good summary but you forgot one thing.
You forgot to point the finger - Here's looking at you coach Van Graan and your predecessors.
Here's looking at the people who have appointed those coaches.
A lot of Munster fans are like ourselves (hope you don't mind my inclusivity).
They want a successful team but not a team of imports.
They don't mind a few imports but they want to see there own local homegrown players mostly be for reasons of association, same school, same club, same parish, whatever.
Next best for them is another provincial player who they can claim they discovered and made a better player.
Then if you can sign a Fardy or better again a CJ, players who aren't just here for what used to be referred to as the Queen's Shilling, then you've hit on something special that the fans will pay the Queen's Shilling to support.
For some reason the coaches and their bosses don't seem to get that.
Leinster trying to snaffle Casey away from them should have been their most recent wake up call.
You have talent, why aren't you selecting it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12188
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby ronk » November 11th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Munster fans in general ( not all), were gung ho for Heineken Cup but meh about Pro14. They could put out any old team. But they were more about guys waiting their due so development took longer.

Qualification and playoffs changed that. Nucifora's strategy needs provinces to attract talent. Munster are good at signing names and will only develop players as a last resort.

When they were banned from signing props there was an improvement in Archer, Ryan, Kilcoyne and Cronin. They can develop if they have to which makes this all the more frustrating.

If Leinster were in the same boat as Munster, hardly any fans would consider a joker. We had one senior outhalf most of the season so far. It was a chance to develop.

Munster have 2 unnecessary jokers and they will milk Mathewson until the last day.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9842
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby domhnallj » November 12th, 2019, 9:14 pm

ronk wrote:Munster fans in general ( not all), were gung ho for Heineken Cup but meh about Pro14. They could put out any old team. But they were more about guys waiting their due so development took longer.

Qualification and playoffs changed that. Nucifora's strategy needs provinces to attract talent. Munster are good at signing names and will only develop players as a last resort.

When they were banned from signing props there was an improvement in Archer, Ryan, Kilcoyne and Cronin. They can develop if they have to which makes this all the more frustrating.

If Leinster were in the same boat as Munster, hardly any fans would consider a joker. We had one senior outhalf most of the season so far. It was a chance to develop.

Munster have 2 unnecessary jokers and they will milk Mathewson until the last day.


You have to earn the jersey...something something claptrap..
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Morf » November 13th, 2019, 3:43 am

domhnallj wrote:You have to earn the jersey...something something claptrap..


On the docks I heard . . . .
User avatar
Morf
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 2:20 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby curates_egg » November 14th, 2019, 11:04 am

"Are Munster now Ulster in disguise?"

Franno has outdone himself here: https://www.independent.ie/sport/column ... 90422.html
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Twist » November 14th, 2019, 1:11 pm

He went a long way just to say "there's too many foreigners playing for Ulster and Munster."
User avatar
Twist
Enlightened
 
Posts: 955
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby backrower8 » November 14th, 2019, 1:23 pm

The Left Wing podcast unanimous that Baird to Connacht on loan for the rest of the season would be a good move for player and Connacht.
backrower8
Enlightened
 
Posts: 787
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Postby Twist » November 14th, 2019, 1:31 pm

They really gave it very little thought. Isn't he registered already as a member of Leinster's squad?

If they'd suggested Charlie Ryan it would've been more realistic, but when what do we do if we have an injury crisis? We'll be supplying at least one starting lock for the 6N, so we don't really want our promising young players cup-tied
User avatar
Twist
Enlightened
 
Posts: 955
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests