Rhys Ruddock

Re: Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

Post by Degz »

Any more on this or what?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Frederico wrote:Couldn't win a lineout to save his life? Brad Thorn called the last lineout of the World Cup final on himself, won it, set up a maul, All blacks put ball into touch and won the game....I reckon he saved quite a few Kiwi lives by doing that.
More particularly, from own point of view, he saved his own life! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

baaba maal wrote:I presume Deccie would have to give his blessing on this. The reason he might want to allow a recently retired NZ legend to join an Irish province is the little matter of a tour down that way in June- who knows what insights Brad might be persuaded to divulge.....
You raise an interesting point tho'. Should Dekko bring Joe to NZ for the summer tour. Three tests is a lot, Joe might make a big difference from test to test?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Basically, the whole argument of whether or not we should sign him is
really one of perspective. If you're looking at it from the IRFU's point of view,
any short-term NIQ signing is one that is only ever going to benefit that
distinct province, as opposed to Irish rugby as a whole.

That said, the province vs country debate that was brought into focus by the
half-assed announcement regarding future NIQ policy can only be seen as an
ongoing tête-à-tête. No doubt we'd all like to see some sort of well-devised
resolution that everybody could walk away happy from, but it seems a bit
naive to think that'll happen any time soon.

Surely when you look around at the strength-in-depth of the position in Ireland,
it's apparent that while Leinster aren't particularly well-served at No4 – even
given Damien Browne's recent good form – there's absolutely no shortage of inter-
national class locks in the country. Players like Tuohy, Ryan and McCarthy,
even if they're still behind O'Callaghan in Declan Kidney's selection, give real
depth in national terms and should allow Leinster a bit of leeway.

Ultimately, you've got to believe that a guy like Thorn is going to add real
pop if we can manage to get him past the PCRG!
!
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

If Thorn wants to come I'd say it's a done deal. Leinster are without two locks, one of which was a NIQ. Fact is the IRFU would make their money back and so would Leinster if Thorn helped Leinster win the HC again. And I would not bet against them with this NZ legend in the engine room.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Thorn is replacing another NIQ who left mid season so I can see it getting sanctioned
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
red49
Knowledgeable

Post by red49 »

NEWS ROUND-UP: LEINSTER COACH Joe Schmidt has confirmed an approach for Brad Thorn, with the hope that Japanese club Fukuoka Sanix Blues will agree to allow the World Cup-winning All Black come to Dublin on a three-month deal.

It was revealed last weekend that Thorn is the main target to replace South African Steven Skyes, who returned home after an injury-cursed spell with Leinster. With the date of Leo Cullen’s return from an Achilles’ operation uncertain – although pencilled in as six to eight weeks – Leinster are operating with just three recognised secondrows, and just one who locks down behind the tighthead prop.

“With Damien Browne our only tighthead lock available, if he gets injured we have a problem,” said Schmidt. “Factor in Devin Toner has played more minutes than anyone else in the Leinster pack this season while Mark Flanagan, although doing really well, has just completed an engineering degree and he was injured a bit last year.

“The reason Brad Thorn came up is every other good lock is under contract at the moment. Sanix have contracted him for next year but really we just wondered out loud, what with the Japanese season ending for the next three months, if we could pick him up for that period with a short-term contract.

“It is still up in the air as I don’t know if Sanix would allow it. We have only spoken to Brad’s agent. There have been a couple of other names mentioned as well, but really it is a terrible time to be looking for a player so fingers crossed Leo comes through alright.”
Retired
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

red49 wrote:NEWS ROUND-UP: LEINSTER COACH Joe Schmidt has confirmed an approach for Brad Thorn, with the hope that Japanese club Fukuoka Sanix Blues will agree to allow the World Cup-winning All Black come to Dublin on a three-month deal.

It was revealed last weekend that Thorn is the main target to replace South African Steven Skyes, who returned home after an injury-cursed spell with Leinster. With the date of Leo Cullen’s return from an Achilles’ operation uncertain – although pencilled in as six to eight weeks – Leinster are operating with just three recognised secondrows, and just one who locks down behind the tighthead prop.

“With Damien Browne our only tighthead lock available, if he gets injured we have a problem,” said Schmidt. “Factor in Devin Toner has played more minutes than anyone else in the Leinster pack this season while Mark Flanagan, although doing really well, has just completed an engineering degree and he was injured a bit last year.

“The reason Brad Thorn came up is every other good lock is under contract at the moment. Sanix have contracted him for next year but really we just wondered out loud, what with the Japanese season ending for the next three months, if we could pick him up for that period with a short-term contract.

“It is still up in the air as I don’t know if Sanix would allow it. We have only spoken to Brad’s agent. There have been a couple of other names mentioned as well, but really it is a terrible time to be looking for a player so fingers crossed Leo comes through alright.”
Like this, a lot.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

What's the source?
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

The reason Brad Thorn came up is every other good lock is under contract at the moment
Nice! How could he refuse!
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Mickado wrote:
The reason Brad Thorn came up is every other good lock is under contract at the moment
Nice! How could he refuse!

He won't refuse. The Japanese may well do.
3 Gold Stars
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

I could see the Japanese club refusing. If he's contracted there next year and he's 37 he would be heading into their new season without any break. Fingers crossed they give it the OK, I'm sure Thorn would want the move.
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

Edna Kenny wrote:I could see the Japanese club refusing. If he's contracted there next year and he's 37 he would be heading into their new season without any break. Fingers crossed they give it the OK, I'm sure Thorn would want the move.
Personally i would have thought it would be better for a 37 year old to keep on playing rather than letting him cool down during the off season and expect him to pre season again in 6-7 weeks. Any player will tell you Pre Season is always the toughest physical exertions you have as a pro player. It would be prudent for him to continue playing. Just hope they see it that way.
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Or he could get injured and miss the start of their new season. Rest is pretty vital for players to allow them get over niggling injuries. Pre-season is tough but I don't think they would be taking the same knocks as when playing.

If Leo Cullen was asking to go to Japan for the summer straight after this season ended and said he'd be back fresh in September I don't think Leinster would be too keen.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

If all else fails this guy is available!!
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 82652.html
elfan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

elfan wrote:If all else fails this guy is available!!
No bleeding thanks!!! :shock:
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I'm going to get slated for this but I'd consider it if Thorn wasn't available. Chabal is nowhere near the talent he was made out to be, but the truth is there are almost no locks you're going to find on a three month stint who can add anything to the squad. It's not that I would want Chabal in particular, but of the available options who can do a job he's probably towards the top of the pile.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

jezzer wrote:
I'm going to get slated for this but I'd consider it if Thorn wasn't available. Chabal is nowhere near the talent he was made out to be, but the truth is there are almost no locks you're going to find on a three month stint who can add anything to the squad. It's not that I would want Chabal in particular, but of the available options who can do a job he's probably towards the top of the pile.
Cup tied for HC to begin with
elfan