Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Experimental
Knowledgeable

Re: Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

Post by Experimental »

I think next year thorn would be well able for a full season, and he could teach our guys a lot. I for one would love to see him play for us again, he'd be wasted in Japan. If he and us were willing, i'm sure we could find a way. Imagine what toner could learn from this guy in a full year!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Option for Hines was only one year. Option for Thorn was only three months. Browne has damaged shoulder which requires R & R to see can it be repaired or does he just work with it. Dev developed really well this year and should be capped again in the Autumn Internationals. Ryan & Tuohy are fighting for one place. Denton remains a sight to behold and Flanagan looks about 2 seasons away from regular Pro12 exposure. It appears from R Murphy interview that the search is still on for another tight-head 2nd row - not O'Donoghue or Sykes and probably not Thorn. Given number of overseas players signed and re-signed up to now, IRFU must have approved an overseas 2nd row.

Problem facing JS and Jono Gibbs is that success will mean losing possibly 14 players to Irish Squad sessions and all internationals. Based on this Season that means Kearney, McFadden, O'Driscoll, Darcy, Fitzgerald, Sexton, Reddan, Healy, Strauss / Cronin, Toner, McLoughlin, Heaslip & O'Brien - possibly with Boss, D Kearney & Eoin O'Malley attending sessions also! A big hole for up to 8 games or rather 8 weeks of Joe's superb training that they will miss.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Lads, please don't get too excited.

I gather that Brad Thorn has had a blast here in Leinster and would love to stay for longer. His family love it here. My neighbour Mrs C. is involved in a cake baking group with Mrs Thorn, and the kids are happy in school. I gather Thorn is not enamoured with the thought of returning to his Japanese club, and feels he would enjoy some more real footy with us. On hearing this Leinster were obviously keen to see what he might be able to do for us next season.

Howver, I spoke to a contact in Japan, and apparently Brad Thorn has signed up for a pilots training course, in Japan starting March 2013, after his club season finishes. Last winter he apparently started thinking about his future and decided that becoming a pilot was the way to go. My man in Tokyo says that his Japanese club has paid c 70% of the cost of this course, which should see Thorn qualify as a co Pilot by August 2013.

So gentlemenn the nearest we may get to Bradley Carnegie Thorn after next Sunday, is if we ever hear "This is your Captain Brad Thorn speaking , we are now cruising at 35,000 sq ft"
ps I gather Mrs Thorn makes a lovely sponge cake
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Dog fight between Big Vic and Big Brad?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Post by jordanracer »

Here we go again :D :D :D
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

A funny coincidence, I was walking the family mutt when I bumped into my neighbour Mrs C, who is in the baking group with Mrs Thorn.

She told me that it looks likely that Mrs Thorn will qualify for the Groups' annual Cake Baker of the Year final, which always takes place in in October. Appartently she has delighted the group with her alternative lemon sponge, her Battenberg cake and her prize winning chocolate cake. If she qualifies, it will mean that she will definitely be in Ireland in October 2012, but does that mean that Brad will also be here ?

My Japenese contact, advised that whilst he had heard about Mrs Thorn's baking exploits, he expected Brad to be back for pre season in August 2012.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tate wrote:Dog fight between Big Vic and Big Brad?
Big Vic knows how to land them the good old Ryanair way. Bump, reverse thrust, screeching brakes.
With Brad it'll probably be THUD, reverse thrust, screeching brakes.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

bails wrote:Lads, please don't get too excited.

I gather that Brad Thorn has had a blast here in Leinster and would love to stay for longer. His family love it here. My neighbour Mrs C. is involved in a cake baking group with Mrs Thorn, and the kids are happy in school. I gather Thorn is not enamoured with the thought of returning to his Japanese club, and feels he would enjoy some more real footy with us. On hearing this Leinster were obviously keen to see what he might be able to do for us next season.

Howver, I spoke to a contact in Japan, and apparently Brad Thorn has signed up for a pilots training course, in Japan starting March 2013, after his club season finishes. Last winter he apparently started thinking about his future and decided that becoming a pilot was the way to go. My man in Tokyo says that his Japanese club has paid c 70% of the cost of this course, which should see Thorn qualify as a co Pilot by August 2013.

So gentlemenn the nearest we may get to Bradley Carnegie Thorn after next Sunday, is if we ever hear "This is your Captain Brad Thorn speaking , we are now cruising at 35,000 sq ft"
ps I gather Mrs Thorn makes a lovely sponge cake
Anyone biting yet??
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Nope, why? Sounds perfectly kosher to me.
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

I was buying it till the Battenberg reference. A real favourite of mine but its days of winning baking competitions are well behind it I am afraid to say and no way would anyone even enter it.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

was hoping that we'd re-sign Thorn in the new year - sounds like that dream is over :-

Former All Blacks lock Brad Thorn will play for one more season as the veteran is set to join the Highlanders in 2013.
According to the Otago Daily Times, 37-year-old Thorn is believed to have met Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph in Japan last month and agreed to play for the Dunedin-based outfit next year.
Thorn last played in New Zealand during last year's Rugby World Cup when he helped the All Blacks win the tournament for the first time in 24 years.
The former Crusaders stalwart then went to Japan on a two-year deal with Fukuoko Sanix Blues, but at the completion of his first season he joined Irish province Leinster where he won the Heineken Cup earlier this year.
Thorn's career as a professional sportsman started in 1994 when he played rugby league for the Brisbane Broncos and he also went on to represent Australia in that code.
Despite his age, Thorn is a fitness fanatic who will be an asset to the Highlanders - especially their young tight forwards.
Along with new recruit, All Blacks prop Tony Woodcock, and another experienced All Black hooker in the form of Andrew Hore, the Highlanders' pack will have a steely look about it when Thorn also joins.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Barry wrote:was hoping that we'd re-sign Thorn in the new year - sounds like that dream is over :-

Former All Blacks lock Brad Thorn will play for one more season as the veteran is set to join the Highlanders in 2013.
According to the Otago Daily Times, 37-year-old Thorn is believed to have met Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph in Japan last month and agreed to play for the Dunedin-based outfit next year.
Thorn last played in New Zealand during last year's Rugby World Cup when he helped the All Blacks win the tournament for the first time in 24 years.
The former Crusaders stalwart then went to Japan on a two-year deal with Fukuoko Sanix Blues, but at the completion of his first season he joined Irish province Leinster where he won the Heineken Cup earlier this year.
Thorn's career as a professional sportsman started in 1994 when he played rugby league for the Brisbane Broncos and he also went on to represent Australia in that code.
Despite his age, Thorn is a fitness fanatic who will be an asset to the Highlanders - especially their young tight forwards.
Along with new recruit, All Blacks prop Tony Woodcock, and another experienced All Black hooker in the form of Andrew Hore, the Highlanders' pack will have a steely look about it when Thorn also joins.
bails should be able to give us the real low-down when the time comes....
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The strong view at the end of last Season was that we got Bradley Carnegie last Season only on a short-term replacement deal in extraordinary circumstances, with reluctant IRFU approval and probably because Ulster had already been allowed 6 overseas players (the extension of Terblanche's injury replacement period). On the night of the RP12 final, it was fairly clearly stated by Leinster President that Brad Thorne would be very unlikely to play for Leinster again......a second hammer blow that particular evening!

So let's keep to reality, he was great but he's gone and he aint comin' back!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

All things are possible, remember Holly!
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

and Guy Easterby :-/
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Thorn can't be a stop-gap forever. Gotta trust in what we have. Especially Dev.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Donny B. wrote:Thorn can't be a stop-gap forever. Gotta trust in what we have. Especially Dev.
+1
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Donny B. wrote:Thorn can't be a stop-gap forever. Gotta trust in what we have. Especially Dev.
I was hoping he'd fill in at 12 tbh....
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:All things are possible, remember Holly!
Is he coming back again? Fockin excellent! :D
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

In an interesting angle on this (or maybe not that interesting) I heard Franno on Matt Cooper on Friday and he said unequivocally that what 'we have' won't do. He said if we don't go out and buy a top 5 we will not retain the HEC this year.

Go figure! :shock: