Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

Post by simonokeeffe »

essentially what we have in our second rows this season is no stand out players like Hines, Thorn etc but 5 or 6 players you'd be happy with as your 2nd or 3rd best second rows (Leo has fitness issues this year)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Thorn can't be a stop-gap forever. Gotta trust in what we have. Especially Dev.
In an interesting angle on this (or maybe not that interesting) I heard Franno on Matt Cooper on Friday and he said unequivocally that what 'we have' won't do. He said if we don't go out and buy a top 5 we will not retain the HEC this year.

Go figure! :shock:
That genius that the "top five" should be injury-stricken backrow Rocky Elsom.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Donny B. wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Thorn can't be a stop-gap forever. Gotta trust in what we have. Especially Dev.
In an interesting angle on this (or maybe not that interesting) I heard Franno on Matt Cooper on Friday and he said unequivocally that what 'we have' won't do. He said if we don't go out and buy a top 5 we will not retain the HEC this year.

Go figure! :shock:
That genius that the "top five" should be injury-stricken backrow Rocky Elsom.
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Carry on folks nothing to see hear :lol:
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Franno is right. We wont win it without another worldclass second row.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Maybe this is the wrong thread for pieces of second hand gossip but..A friend was talking with Brad last year, as both had kids in the same class in Mary's, and he couldn't rate Devin highly enough. Gave a real vote of confidence in him as the future for Leinster Rugby.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Maybe this is the wrong thread for pieces of second hand gossip but..A friend was talking with Brad last year, as both had kids in the same class in Mary's, and he couldn't rate Devin highly enough. Gave a real vote of confidence in him as the future for Leinster Rugby.
I dont doubt thats what he said, but was he really going to come out with "Jeez, Leinster are f%~ked mate, yer man Toner is really sh!t"
Get in the f%~king bag.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Experimental wrote:Franno is right. We wont win it without another worldclass second row.
Wouldn't agree. Our pack this year is better than the one that won the HEC in 2009. It's slightly weaker in the second row (but with better depth) and stronger in the front and back row (better depth and back row is a better overall unit now for me). In 2009 we only made two changes in the pack to bring in John Fogarty and Ronnie McCormack. Now we can introduce VdM, Cronin and Jennings who are all regular HEC starters and internationals. There are still only a couple of packs that are arguably better in Europe.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ceemec wrote:
Experimental wrote:Franno is right. We wont win it without another worldclass second row.
Wouldn't agree. Our pack this year is better than the one that won the HEC in 2009. It's slightly weaker in the second row (but with better depth) and stronger in the front and back row (better depth and back row is a better overall unit now for me). In 2009 we only made two changes in the pack to bring in John Fogarty and Ronnie McCormack. Now we can introduce VdM, Cronin and Jennings who are all regular HEC starters and internationals. There are still only a couple of packs that are arguably better in Europe.
Would definitely agree with that, don't buy too much into the second row issue at all, bar perhaps our bench options.

Cullen, Toner and Browne should be enough to get us through the group stages at very least, and then it's all down to the draw.

Clermont don't have two world class second rows and they're one of the best teams in the tournament, plus we've got horses for courses in the difference between Browne and Toner.

Leo staying fit is really key though.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
ceemec wrote:
Would definitely agree with that, don't buy too much into the second row issue at all, bar perhaps our bench options.

Cullen, Toner and Browne should be enough to get us through the group stages at very least, and then it's all down to the draw.

Clermont don't have two world class second rows and they're one of the best teams in the tournament, plus we've got horses for courses in the difference between Browne and Toner.

Leo staying fit is really key though.
Also agree that the second row situation is not that bad. Would love to see Thorne back but it's not likely to happen- and maybe that's for the best anyway. We need to make that leap of faith and trust the likes of Devon, Browne (who's defintely justified his signing), Roux and Denton to take their chance. I'm not looking for barnstorming performances, just solid work.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I've a sneaky suspicion Roux is going to prove a shrewd signing come summer 2013.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

AdamK wrote:I've a sneaky suspicion Roux is going to prove a shrewd signing come summer 2013.
He was certainly very highly rated in SA. The Stormers coach was very sure to make it clear the door was open if Roux decided one year was enough.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Yeah, I have absolute faith that we have enough between the guys we have signed and Toner / Browne / Cullen. I think the shrewdest move of all was signing both Roux and Denton at the same time in a similar enough role. They'll be really competitive with each other, and it will seriously push Toner on to have those lads nipping at his heels. Both have lots of promise, as does Mark Flanagan. I think we're in good shape. Or at least, we will be when we get everyone back 100% fit.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

AdamK wrote:I've a sneaky suspicion Roux is going to prove a shrewd signing come summer 2013.
I think so too.

But I also think Dev has to be considered a top contender in the second row. We may lack that enforcer role from him, but we do have an extremely abrassive pack when fit, our front row and back-row couldn't really be more menacing, and many are skilled in the dark arts, no more so than Leo.

You must be better every single year to keep winning Heineken Cups. If we stand still we wont win a thing. I think the 2009 team is irrelivent and I think many Heineken Cup teams would beat an exact replica of that 2009 team now. Every season teams get better, and the one who improves the most, or at least started far enough ahead and improved enough, wins the competition.

Someone needs to step up big time in the second row, but we have many players capable of doing that. I hope at least one of them does (and whilst I back Dev as a very solid option, Roux might be the man to step up as the widow maker that Rocky, Hines and Thorn were in previous winning years.)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

management seem to rate Roux highly and he could well in future be a Thorn or Botha, key thing is if he stays fit
and longer term if he stays with us beyond this season
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:management seem to rate Roux highly and he could well in future be a Thorn or Botha, key thing is if he stays fit
and longer term if he stays with us beyond this season
Now that is the worry! Remember he's only contrcated for one season. I hope he gets an injury-free run, so we can assess him- as well as get the best from him this season. It would be really frustrating if he went home after an injury-ravaged season and then performed really well back in SA.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

He tweeted that he's struggling with injuries. Hopefully he mends well
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

sarah_lennon wrote:
What is it with us breaking saffers (excl. Ollie le - iron/steel all round good guy - Roux)?
I though playing "super" rugby was as intense as it gets.....?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Peg Leg wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
What is it with us breaking saffers (excl. Ollie le - iron/steel all round good guy - Roux)?
I though playing "super" rugby was as intense as it gets.....?
The long haul flights - osteoporosis sets in....
Four Stars
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think we've been putting CJ, Sykes, Roux all in the same rented house that has been cursed ever since Owen Finnegan and Bryce Williams used it

*to add to my theory it took 5 goes to actually post this
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Sh*te weather.