Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Brad Thorn coming to Leinster?

Post by artaneboy »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Scott wrote:What exactly is Richie Murhpy saying here?? http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/?play=media&id=12012
I think he's saying that negotiations are in train to keep Brad in Leinster which may, or may not, come to anything.

I could be wrong though.
Hold on- have we got word from Bails' close sources first?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Don't anyone get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Thorny, Thorny, Thorny and he was awesome in the final. But if there are negotiations going on on a train somewhere, why the flick was Nathine Hines turfed out on his ear last year? Did he climb up on someone's daughter or something :?:
LEINSTER pour toujours
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Hines got a 2 year deal in France and IRFU would only sanction a 1 year deal here for him.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

I know. But Nathan was born in 1976. Brad in 1975. Admittedly November v's February. But 2011/12 is one year and now we are talking to someone older than Nathan for 2012/13, i.e. Year 2. Something's not adding up.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

waterboy wrote:Hines got a 2 year deal in France and IRFU would only sanction a 1 year deal here for him.
The IRFU wouldn't sanction any deal for him.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Think Brad is having a well deserved break and then will finish out in Japan (where he's contracted)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ultravires
Beginner

Post by ultravires »

Anyone got a picture yet of Brad Thorn doing his signature fist pump in a Leinster Jersey!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Thorn was awesome in the final. He's absolutely ruthless in the tackle area. He's a big reason we got a platform against a great rucking team like Ulster. I'd be happy to have him for a year, happier than having Hines for a year.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

jezzer wrote:Thorn was awesome in the final. He's absolutely ruthless in the tackle area. He's a big reason we got a platform against a great rucking team like Ulster. I'd be happy to have him for a year, happier than having Hines for a year.
i'd be delirious to have either of those gentlemen another year
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

jezzer wrote:Thorn was awesome in the final. He's absolutely ruthless in the tackle area. He's a big reason we got a platform against a great rucking team like Ulster. I'd be happy to have him for a year, happier than having Hines for a year.
Well, let's not lose the run of ourselves entirely here! I think Thorn was great for us- but no more so than Nathan for his two years here. Remember Hines delivered big time for us in Cardiff. Brad delivered a great late-career cameo in this 3 months- just when we needed it, and I'll always be truly grateful to him. But... but- he is not a long term solution to our second row needs. We need to plan beyond just getting him back for a similar period next year, to do his thing! Aside from anything else- it mighty not work as well with him 12 months older.

If we contract a new overseas SR, I want them to be both Irish-qualified and young enough to last a few seasons. Denton looks promising- but home-grown Flanagan is worth a run too. So anymore signings in the second row, need to offer something long-term.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Slipper1 wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Scott wrote:What exactly is Richie Murhpy saying here?? http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mdtv/?play=media&id=12012
I think he's saying that negotiations are in train to keep Brad in Leinster which may, or may not, come to anything.

I could be wrong though.
I took it that they are looking to bring in a 2nd row, Brad is heading back to the land of the rising sun but if the opportunity to have him back here arose then he'd be welcomed with open arms.
Think that's exactly what he is saying.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

artaneboy wrote:
Well, let's not lose the run of ourselves entirely here! I think Thorn was great for us- but no more so than Nathan for his two years here. Remember Hines delivered big time for us in Cardiff. Brad delivered a great late-career cameo in this 3 months- just when we needed it, and I'll always be truly grateful to him. But... but- he is not a long term solution to our second row needs. We need to plan beyond just getting him back for a similar period next year, to do his thing! Aside from anything else- it mighty not work as well with him 12 months older.

If we contract a new overseas SR, I want them to be both Irish-qualified and young enough to last a few seasons. Denton looks promising- but home-grown Flanagan is worth a run too. So anymore signings in the second row, need to offer something long-term.
Who said anything about a long term solution? Also, Hines took a good chunk of his first season to really hit his a-game in Leinster. Thorn, having come from Japan, was a force of nature from day 1. I have been blown away by Thorn since he arrived.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In many ways Thorn has been more than a player in some ways. He's been a state of mind. Someone who's been there and done that, was happy with his lot but brought intensity to everything he did. He pushed harder in the scrums, he hit rucks harder, he tackled hard, he got in there and got in the way of the ball. What we need isn't necessarily him, it's his legacy, that little bit of extra push.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I just hope the extra oompf he's given the team remains after he's gone.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I don't think we need to over state Thorns influence.

Yes he's been superb, but I think we would have won the Heineken Cup without him, although he helped a lot, particularly in Clermont, but I felt Damien Browne was going great and then just completely fell off the radar for some reason, but in the group stages he was giving us a hard knuckle edge too.

I think having Thorn another season would be nice, but not be all and end all.

I think the comments in the video were suggesting a future deal with Thorn if we could, but the "negotiations in the background" in my opinion, was referring to an alternative signing in the pipeline.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Browne has been struggling with a shoulder injury.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

[Jackass] wrote:I don't think we need to over state Thorns influence.

Yes he's been superb, but I think we would have won the Heineken Cup without him, although he helped a lot, particularly in Clermont, but I felt Damien Browne was going great and then just completely fell off the radar for some reason, but in the group stages he was giving us a hard knuckle edge too.

I think having Thorn another season would be nice, but not be all and end all.

I think the comments in the video were suggesting a future deal with Thorn if we could, but the "negotiations in the background" in my opinion, was referring to an alternative signing in the pipeline.
Well exactly!

His arrival became an event in itself (thanks Bails!) that lifted us at a key moment. He played a key part n our win- but he was not the main reason we won. If you need to name an individual with that influence, then Joe, not Brad is that man. I too thought Browne had played very well without much recognition- Toner was excellent too. Until his great performance against Clermont, I thought Leo was the weakest of the front line SRs. But I have no problem in setting explicitly that Joe & Co made the right calls with Leo and Brad in the last two months. They were magnificent.

I was a bit cheesed off in 2009 by the amount of coverage declaring that (in terms) Rocky was the main reason we won in 2009. Great as he was- it was not true then, and I'm uneasy at seeing a bandwagon build again for Brad being essential to this win and needed again next year. To be totally clear we should definetly acknowledge his role; not rule not signing him again, but plan for a long-term replacement.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Anyone know if he would be interested in some kind of coaching gig with us?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

I noticed the Leinster doing All Black style rucks during the final. Clearly he has been teaching the guys. What a great signing he has been, will defiantly go on my list of players who've done amazing things for Leinster, along with le Roux, Elsom and Contepomi.

Without those three players, I'd doubt O'Brien Sexton and Healy would be as good as they are today... I'm looking forward to seeing how Toner gets in next season!!
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

We need a proper long term solution at second row and Brad Thorn is not the answer. He probably put an unbelievable effort into his stint here because he knew it was going to be short. I doubt he could keep up that level for a full season, next year, when he'll be 38. Plus, pulling him in now would be completely at odds with the new IRFU player policy. He's also contracted in Japan. The list is endless...
The Bird is the Word