Matt Williams article in the Times

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ellandleinster
Enlightened

Re: Matt Williams article in the Times

Post by ellandleinster »

BTW, the creation myth (not at all necessarily at all lies or untruths), is the cornerstone of any group, faith, philosophy's identity. It helps in our case that the facts are so clear, recent and uncontestable. We need to remember where we've come from- keep a juandiced eye on where some of the hyperbole is coming from (same a******es who riciculed us) and continue building to ensure we never end up there again.[/quote]

We were targets of scorn because we were quite literally shoite on many occasions. We flattered to decieve and on the big days against the likes of Leicester,Biarritz,Perpignan & Turnips we were beaten out the gate. The strenght of character you talk about was fairly absent back in the day, so i'd wind your neck in and curb the revisionism. I've witnessed those capitulations and they weren't pretty. They happened and the bile inevitably followed in the press.

We had an abundance of talent but never utilised it to realise our potential until 2009.

Arseholes like Franno&co and their ridiculing of us actually helped in no small way to galvanise the team and fans and has imho contributed some way to our current success. It is to Michael Cheika we should look to and thank for a sea change in Leinster and her fortunes in Europe.

PS Creation myth is an erm myth.[/quote]

What??? :roll: That blend of bombast and crankiness is incoherent even by your considerable standards. Read Williams' article; read the responses; then read what I write- not what you think I might have written. Are you really saving that a cause of our success was ridicule by the press and commentators- and that the player's character needed that to reach the promised land of a HC success? Bearing in mind that we did win the Celtic League and the Celtic Cup in that time. Rubbish! We were caricatured and traduced by every smart arse operating in the media.

Your pal Francis was probably the worst, in that he was a prime example of what he slammed that team as being. He was a very talented but equally lazy player, who never reached his potential. Everything Franno did; he did in the comfort zone. His journalism today is a lot like that: brilliant in parts, entertaining often and invariably under-prepared. How dare he then revile a group of players- who whatever their capacity then (they had weaknesses in the team) showed more genuineness than he ever did on the field.

The likes of yourself would see yourself as perfectionists promoting excellence- when what you are really doing is setting absurd demands on a team and squad. You’re still at it. I seem to remember your rant last year when we failed to win TP! Did any of us like losing there? Some of us just took rounded view of what we had achieved to date and still had ahead of us. No understanding; no measure…. no idea![/quote]

Nothing incoherent at all, I suspect your not the sharpest tool in the box.

Look again at my response. I said the ridicule by the press was a 'small part' in contributing to our success, a small part. It drove them on and to deny or even think this wasn't in the players minds in Edinburgh is naeive to say the least. We were lambasted & lampooned in the media because of the players/talent we had but failed consistently to get any reasonable return. Thats what the media do, like it or not. I have gone on record many times here expressing my revulsion for the media, so not sure where you are going with 'your pal Franno' nonsense :lol: You might not like him, and yes he was an awful player, but he is right more often than not these days. Because i agree with him(on certain things) he's my pal ffs :? weird logic.

Who gives a flying fcuk what the media say about us? you are obviously sensitive to them. Know this, the wankfest that surrounded Munster is currently in danger of enveloping Leinster. They'll build us up and knock us down just as quick.

Explain how i set absurd demands on my team and squad? Ludicrous statement.
The game in TP should always be targetted as a winnable game like every other game we play. We wont win it everytime nor other games but we should go out to win EVERYTIME.

And we didnt win the celtic cup BTW in 08, we did win the league tho'[/quote]

Not wishing to get embroiled in this argument but you appear actually to have said SB that press ridicule played a large part in contributing to our success.

In any event does anyone know the article Williams is referring to from 2 weeks ago?
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

sorry cannot do that quote thing at all.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

ellandleinster wrote:sorry cannot do that quote thing at all.

Not wishing to get embroiled in this argument but you appear actually to have said SB that press ridicule played a large part in contributing to our success.
In any event does anyone know the article Williams is referring to from 2 weeks ago?

Eh, where did I say or appear to say press ridicule played a large part in our success?

What I said was....
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Arseholes like Franno&co and their ridiculing of us actually helped in no small way to galvanise the team and fans and has imho contributed some way to our current success.
Sauvignon Blank wrote: .......the ridicule by the press was a 'small part' in contributing to our success, a small part. It drove them on and to deny or even think this wasn't in the players minds in Edinburgh is naeive to say the least
3 Gold Stars
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Bottom line is Leinster were convenient whipping boys for the Irish media for many years. The conjured image was of the moneyed, spineless, pretty boys from the capital city who lacked the heart and soul of the real, salt of the earth men from outside the Pale.

In particular, INM and RTE fabricated and embraced this fable and it was en vogue to denigrate the “Ladyboys”. Some of the ‘criticism’ of what were and are a bunch of talented, diligent, professional sportsmen was disgusting and often descended to utterly distorted, unobjective commentary and on occasion vitriolic lies.
Indeed, I think it’s fair to say that there are elements within the media who resent the truth as exposed by the current fortunes of Leinster and Munster.

There is nothing new in what I have said above and now, as then, I ignore most of the media coverage of rugby. Hook can continue to call for ROG to play 10 for Ireland and the Indo scribes can continue to call great Leinster wins “Munsteresque” but I DON’T CARE.

F0ck them all, be BLUE, be Leinster, be proud.
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Eh, where did I say or appear to say press ridicule played a large part in our success?

What I said was....
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Arseholes like Franno&co and their ridiculing of us actually helped in no small way to galvanise the team and fans and has imho contributed some way to our current success.
Sauvignon Blank wrote: .......the ridicule by the press was a 'small part' in contributing to our success, a small part. It drove them on and to deny or even think this wasn't in the players minds in Edinburgh is naeive to say the least
You are quoting two separate posts of yours there (bravo! you put me to shame) Your first post 'Arseholes like Franno helped in no small way to galvanise the team.

Hence I am unsure as to how you then in your second post stress that you said the press only played a small part. certainly open to misinterpretation which is all I was saying.

To repeat my query does anyone know the article in the IT 2 weeks ago Williams was referring to which appears to have prompted him to write in this vein?
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

ellandleinster wrote:
To repeat my query does anyone know the article in the IT 2 weeks ago Williams was referring to which appears to have prompted him to write in this vein?
i can't see a reference to any recent IT article

where is it?

PS. my bad. i see it
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

ellandleinster wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

What I said was....
You are quoting two separate posts of yours there (bravo! you put me to shame) Your first post 'Arseholes like Franno helped in no small way to galvanise the team.

Hence I am unsure as to how you then in your second post stress that you said the press only played a small part. certainly open to misinterpretation which is all I was saying.

Not putting you to shame or indeed trying to ellandleinster, just replying. Think your getting the wrong end of the stick here. If thats open to misinterpretation then fine, my apologies, unintentional.

Franno & Co's sniping did help to galvanise the players IMHO. This lead to a siege mentality which again IMHO contributed in a small way to our success.
3 Gold Stars
MarkyDeSad
Knowledgeable

Post by MarkyDeSad »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Lets not buy into the "myths" and the gallient hero's in the mist b0llox. Leave that self-analysing, communal masturbation to the trailer parks.
What are you on about? Do you deny that we were targets of scorn by every barely literate, lazy scribbler and jaw-jockey in the media? Do you not believe that it was the strength of character and talent of Hickie, BOD, Felipe, Reggie and co was not seminal in our using the derision as a driver of our emergence as a recognised superpower.

BTW, the creation myth (not at all necessarily at all lies or untruths), is the cornerstone of any group, faith, philosophy's identity. It helps in our case that the facts are so clear, recent and uncontestable. We need to remember where we've come from- keep a juandiced eye on where some of the hyperbole is coming from (same a******es who riciculed us) and continue building to ensure we never end up there again.

We were targets of scorn because we were quite literally shoite on many occasions. We flattered to decieve and on the big days against the likes of Leicester,Biarritz,Perpignan & Turnips we were beaten out the gate. The strenght of character you talk about was fairly absent back in the day, so i'd wind your neck in and curb the revisionism. I've witnessed those capitulations and they weren't pretty. They happened and the bile inevitably followed in the press.

We had an abundance of talent but never utilised it to realise our potential until 2009.

Arseholes like Franno&co and their ridiculing of us actually helped in no small way to galvanise the team and fans and has imho contributed some way to our current success. It is to Michael Cheika we should look to and thank for a sea change in Leinster and her fortunes in Europe.

PS Creation myth is an erm myth.
So, just to be clear, does this mean you think we are ladies, or that all togeter we make up one big girl? :wink:
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: Nothing incoherent at all, I suspect your not the sharpest tool in the box.

Look again at my response. I said the ridicule by the press was a 'small part' in contributing to our success, a small part. It drove them on and to deny or even think this wasn't in the players minds in Edinburgh is naeive to say the least. We were lambasted & lampooned in the media because of the players/talent we had but failed consistently to get any reasonable return. Thats what the media do, like it or not. I have gone on record many times here expressing my revulsion for the media, so not sure where you are going with 'your pal Franno' nonsense :lol: You might not like him, and yes he was an awful player, but he is right more often than not these days. Because i agree with him(on certain things) he's my pal ffs :? weird logic.

Who gives a flying fcuk what the media say about us? you are obviously sensitive to them. Know this, the wankfest that surrounded Munster is currently in danger of enveloping Leinster. They'll build us up and knock us down just as quick.

The game in TP should always be targetted as a winnable game like every other game we play. We wont win it everytime nor other games but we should go out to win EVERYTIME.

And we didnt win the celtic cup BTW in 08, we did win the league tho'
:oops: The indignity of it... being accused by the village idiot of being dim! :shock: I usually try to ignore your peculiar attempts to project what you want to rant about on to any passing poster- so it's really my own fault for even engaging with you at all. So this is my last contribution in response tp your "analysis."

I'll start at the end first- judging on how you interpret them, probably the way you read posts- right?
Who said that we won the Celtic Cup in 2008? I was referring very clearly to the entire period (that's the word I used) when we were subject to abuse from pundits and media. I'm sure you remember- it lasted the best part of a decade.

On your absurd demands- On the case that i referenced as an example I haven't the time or interest in going back to read them, but I can clearly remember your bleatings on how disgraceful it was that Leinster lost narrowly to Munster in that TP match in the weeks before the HC run-in. Let's just say... you went on for a bit on it! We'd won the HC a month or so later. But that's not all- I could pick, probably at random- a sample of your posting from the odd time the team has lost or (in your eyes) 'under-performed.' Of course we do go to win EVERYTIME, but with you no defeat or dip in form ever seems to be excusable- it's always a disgrace. They're what I call ABSURD DEMANDS. Got that?

On the media environment: I do care what they say about my team. I don't want them to be built up to be knocked down; I want them to be treated fairly. I don't accept that we should accept any other standard. Do you?

And BTW- the media knocking pre-2009 added nothing to our performance- the team and - yes Cheika and Brewer's tactics made the difference. Incidentally, as a man who maintains that supporting fans make no poisitive difference to a team's play (your various posting pre the Clermont match), you seem to take negative vibes as being more effective. But then negativity really is more your thang! :wink:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

[/quote]

What I said was....
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

.......the ridicule by the press was a 'small part' in contributing to our success, a small part. It drove them on and to deny or even think this wasn't in the players minds in Edinburgh is naeive to say the least
[/quote]

To repeat my query does anyone know the article in the IT 2 weeks ago Williams was referring to which appears to have prompted him to write in this vein?[/quote]

Not putting you to shame or indeed trying to ellandleinster, just replying. Think your getting the wrong end of the stick here. If thats open to misinterpretation then fine, my apologies, unintentional.

Franno & Co's sniping did help to galvanise the players IMHO. This lead to a siege mentality which again IMHO contributed in a small way to our success.[/quote]

Ellandleinster wrote

But you use the term 'in no small way'?? that would generally imply a 'large or at least medium way'. anyway ever decreasing circles and all that.

No takers yet as to who wrote the scurrilous piece 2 weeks ago that got Matt excited?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

ellandleinster wrote: But you use the term 'in no small way'?? that would generally imply a 'large or at least medium way'. anyway ever decreasing circles and all that.

No takers yet as to who wrote the scurrilous piece 2 weeks ago that got Matt excited?
'in no small way' referred to the galvanising effect on the team which coupled with other factors contributed in a 'small' way to our success. Thats what i said.
Hope this clears it up.

not aware of piece that drew Matts ire.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

artaneboy wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Nothing incoherent at all, I suspect your not the sharpest tool in the box.

:oops: The indignity of it... being accused by the village idiot of being dim! :shock: I usually try to ignore your peculiar attempts to project what you want to rant about on to any passing poster- so it's really my own fault for even engaging with you at all. So this is my last contribution in response tp your "analysis."
Ok so.

I'll start at the end first- judging on how you interpret them, probably the way you read posts- right? Wrong
Who said that we won the Celtic Cup in 2008? I was referring very clearly to the entire period (that's the word I used) when we were subject to abuse from pundits and media. I'm sure you remember- it lasted the best part of a decade. I do, i'm not a sensitive soul. Water off a ducks back 'n all that.

On your absurd demands- On the case that i referenced as an example I haven't the time or interest in going back to read them, Perhaps you are making it up?

but I can clearly remember your bleatings on how disgraceful it was that Leinster lost narrowly to Munster in that TP match in the weeks before the HC run-in. Let's just say... you went on for a bit on it! Really? a figment of your imagination again i'd say. But do provide me with some back up evidence of my supposed bleatings. Failing that, stop talking out of your hoop.

We'd won the HC a month or so later. I know, I was there.

But that's not all- I could pick, probably at random- a sample of your posting from the odd time the team has lost or (in your eyes) 'under-performed.' Go ahead so, becoming tedious all this ..."i could show this..i could show that..but can't remember blah blah". Spoofing.

Of course we do go to win EVERYTIME, but with you no defeat or dip in form ever seems to be excusable- it's always a disgrace. They're what I call ABSURD DEMANDS. Got that? No i have not got it. Stop spoofing and show these posts where I have consistently referred to our losses, dip in form as disgraceful, or inexcusable etc.
Thing is you won't find them because I didn't say it.

On the media environment: I do care what they say about my team. I don't want them to be built up to be knocked down; I want them to be treated fairly. I don't accept that we should accept any other standard. Do you? I don't expect decent standards from hacks who are incapable of ethical behaviour/reporting. I despise the media, and if you really read my posts(instead of formulating incorrect opinions) you would be aware of my intense dislike of them. I don't buy newspapers because I listen to the government lie to me on a daily basis anyway.

And BTW- the media knocking pre-2009 added nothing to our performance- the team and - yes Cheika and Brewer's tactics made the difference. Your opinion.

Incidentally, as a man who maintains that supporting fans make no poisitive difference to a team's play (your various posting pre the Clermont match), you seem to take negative vibes as being more effective. But then negativity really is more your thang! :wink:
Again, wildly inaccurate and frankly embarassing for you that you persist with these untruths.

I never said that.

What I did say/reply to was, in effect, 'Fans don't win games, players do', also fans have a tendency to want their collective egoes to be massaged etc.. We had posters on here metaphorically shittin' their pants at the prospect of 28k Auvergnats jumping up and down, blowing horns, cowbells etc, thinking we would lose the game or that because of these fans it was a foregone conclusion. Madness in my opinion. Care to remind me of the outcome of Sundays little soirée in Bordeaux? which took place in an extremely hostile/partisan environment. I don't discount fans input, it's absolutely essential but it doesn't win games. Players do.

You percieve me as negative, fine. I think your confusing negativity with realism and me casting a critical eye on proceedings.
3 Gold Stars
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Ok so.

I'll start at the end first- judging on how you interpret them, probably the way you read posts- right? Wrong
Who said that we won the Celtic Cup in 2008? I was referring very clearly to the entire period (that's the word I used) when we were subject to abuse from pundits and media. I'm sure you remember- it lasted the best part of a decade. I do, i'm not a sensitive soul. Water off a ducks back 'n all that.

On your absurd demands- On the case that i referenced as an example I haven't the time or interest in going back to read them, Perhaps you are making it up?

but I can clearly remember your bleatings on how disgraceful it was that Leinster lost narrowly to Munster in that TP match in the weeks before the HC run-in. Let's just say... you went on for a bit on it! Really? a figment of your imagination again i'd say. But do provide me with some back up evidence of my supposed bleatings. Failing that, stop talking out of your hoop.

But that's not all- I could pick, probably at random- a sample of your posting from the odd time the team has lost or (in your eyes) 'under-performed.' Go ahead so, becoming tedious all this ..."i could show this..i could show that..but can't remember blah blah". Spoofing.

Of course we do go to win EVERYTIME, but with you no defeat or dip in form ever seems to be excusable- it's always a disgrace. They're what I call ABSURD DEMANDS. Got that? No i have not got it. Stop spoofing and show these posts where I have consistently referred to our losses, dip in form as disgraceful, or inexcusable etc.

On the media environment: I do care what they say about my team. I don't want them to be built up to be knocked down; I want them to be treated fairly. I don't accept that we should accept any other standard. Do you? I don't expect decent standards from hacks who are incapable of ethical behaviour/reporting. I despise the media, and if you really read my posts(instead of formulating incorrect opinions) you would be aware of my intense dislike of them. I don't buy newspapers because I listen to the government lie to me on a daily basis anyway.

And BTW- the media knocking pre-2009 added nothing to our performance- the team and - yes Cheika and Brewer's tactics made the difference. Your opinion.

Incidentally, as a man who maintains that supporting fans make no poisitive difference to a team's play (your various posting pre the Clermont match), you seem to take negative vibes as being more effective. But then negativity really is more your thang! :wink:
Again, wildly inaccurate and frankly embarassing for you that you persist with these untruths.

I never said that.

What I did say/reply to was, in effect, 'Fans don't win games, players do', also fans have a tendency to want their collective egoes to be massaged etc.. We had posters on here metaphorically shittin' their pants at the prospect of 28k Auvergnats jumping up and down, blowing horns, cowbells etc, thinking we would lose the game or that because of these fans it was a foregone conclusion. Madness in my opinion. Care to remind me of the outcome of Sundays little soirée in Bordeaux? which took place in an extremely hostile/partisan environment. I don't discount fans input, it's absolutely essential but it doesn't win games. Players do.

You percieve me as negative, fine. I think your confusing negativity with realism and me casting a critical eye on proceedings.
Okay Village, you're right! You are always very positive and constructive in all your rants... sorry posts. Don't know what came over me, must be your evil twin I'm recalling. But as I said at the start of my last post- it's my fault for taking you seriously enough to engage with. Good Luck!!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: What I did say/reply to was, in effect, 'Fans don't win games, players do',

That's what you said alright, when trying to twist the meaning of a comment about how fans can make a difference - as recognised by the by the players in 2009.

Some may think you were being argumentative/negative, most don't really give a s hite - it is an internet forum after all. :roll:
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

artaneboy wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
artaneboy wrote: :oops: The indignity of it... being accused by the village idiot of being dim! :shock: I usually try to ignore your peculiar attempts to project what you want to rant about on to any passing poster- so it's really my own fault for even engaging with you at all. So this is my last contribution in response tp your "analysis."
Ok so.

I never said that.

Okay Village, you're right! You are always very positive and constructive in all your rants... sorry posts. Don't know what came over me, must be your evil twin I'm recalling. But as I said at the start of my last post- it's my fault for taking you seriously enough to engage with. Good Luck!!
I know i'm right and you Mr Northside Working Class hero AKA Artaneboy :wink: , are spoofing about these imaginary rants/posts. I want to see them!!
You're doing yourself no favours. By all means don't engage me, but do stop lying about me.
3 Gold Stars
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
I know i'm right and you Mr Northside Working Class hero AKA Artaneboy :wink: , are spoofing about these imaginary rants/posts. I want to see them!!
You're doing yourself no favours. By all means don't engage me, but do stop lying about me.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bye-bye Village- see ya around! :wink:
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Artane....working class :shock:

I know people who'd give their back teeth, if they had any, to go on a bus trip by Artane.

Can also be spelt Artaine btw
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ellandleinster wrote:Artane....working class :shock:

I know people who'd give their back teeth, if they had any, to go on a bus trip by Artane.

Can also be spelt Artaine btw
Yeah, haven't lived there for a good while- before they grew the posh spelling. But defend to the end! We do more than develop sexy new spellings- we're very modern now. Discovered fire there earlier last decade- and we're expecting that new fangled wheel to make an appearence any year now.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

artaneboy wrote: Okay Village, you're right! You are always very positive and constructive in all your rants... sorry posts. Don't know what came over me, must be your evil twin I'm recalling. But as I said at the start of my last post- it's my fault for taking you seriously enough to engage with. Good Luck!!
SB wrote: I know i'm right and you Mr Northside Working Class hero AKA Artaneboy :wink: , are spoofing about these imaginary rants/posts. I want to see them!!
You're doing yourself no favours. By all means don't engage me, but do stop lying about me.
artaneboy wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bye-bye Village- see ya around! :wink:
3 Gold Stars
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Woah, is SB and Artaneboy having some sort of lovers tiff here?

Take it to PM ladies! :D