A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Bank of Ireland Sponsorship

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:Bank of Ireland extend sponsorship until 2023

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/bank-of-ire ... p-to-2023/
Renewed and improved and that's even with Leinster and 'Tarf fanatic Boucher departed. Well done to Mick Dawson and Billy Murphy for getting that across the line.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

At the risk of being crude.....HOW MUCH?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:At the risk of being crude.....HOW MUCH?
Nobody knows whether there was ever a figure put on it because Bank contribute bodies and above and below the line assistance to the Domestic and Pro game. However, based on a round figure estimate of Leinster income at something north of €15m - with possibly 8/9 National contracts picked up in total by IRFU - a guesstimate of the value of BoI contribution to Leinster, money, bodies and advertising might be €4-6m i.e. if Leinster had to replicate the total effect over a 12 month period.

The reality may be that even Leinster don't know the actual cost to the Bank as they won't know how much of each relevant BoI employee's time is devoted to Leinster or what sort of terms they negotiate for advertising and below the line marketing. Neither will Leinster be able to price the value added for Bank in player appearances at Corporate gigs etc.

Sponsorship value in professional sport is a very nebulous business. The Board of RBS publicly stated a couple of years ago that in the wake of the UK banking meltdown in 2008, one of their best strategic moves towards recovery was remaining lead sponsors of the 6 Nations Rugby tournament which gave their brand "high awareness with a quality product which was brand enhancing". Go figure.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
paddyor wrote:At the risk of being crude.....HOW MUCH?
Nobody knows whether there was ever a figure put on it because Bank contribute bodies and above and below the line assistance to the Domestic and Pro game. However, based on a round figure estimate of Leinster income at something north of €15m - with possibly 8/9 National contracts picked up in total by IRFU - a guesstimate of the value of BoI contribution to Leinster, money, bodies and advertising might be €4-6m i.e. if Leinster had to replicate the total effect over a 12 month period.

The reality may be that even Leinster don't know the actual cost to the Bank as they won't know how much of each relevant BoI employee's time is devoted to Leinster or what sort of terms they negotiate for advertising and below the line marketing. Neither will Leinster be able to price the value added for Bank in player appearances at Corporate gigs etc.

Sponsorship value in professional sport is a very nebulous business. The Board of RBS publicly stated a couple of years ago that in the wake of the UK banking meltdown in 2008, one of their best strategic moves towards recovery was remaining lead sponsors of the 6 Nations Rugby tournament which gave their brand "high awareness with a quality product which was brand enhancing". Go figure.
That "up to €6M/year" bit will be a full story in the INDO tomorrow.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

My wife's burden continues. As an AIB employee, the hope of a new sponsor fades again. Its green again for "wear your jersey to work day".....
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Boycey
Beginner

Post by Boycey »

Traditionally the value of a realtionship with a sponsor for a sports team would in part be measured on the sponsorship activation of the company. In other words how will the sponsor create mutually benefical promotional content for both entities. Something that shows the values of the sports team and it's fans which the sponsor wants to align itself with to in order to sell more of it's product to the sports teams fan base. So with that in mind most sports teams would negotiate activation clauses in a sponsorship contract with a bank or insurance company. A prime example of very good sponsorship activation is AIG's #DublinOurTeam docu series check it out here.

https://www.aig.ie/our-blog/dublin-our-team

So is BOI's sponsorship a good deal for Leinster Rugby? On the face of it looks like LR proably got somewhere in the ball park of €5 million for the renewal. A lot of money not to be scoffed at. But they BOI have produced alomost no meaningful activation since the realtionship began. Personally I would rather see them aligned with a global brand with activation rights like AIG.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Apart from Blue Magic campaign, or the 'Feel the Magic' stuff or the 'Behind the Magic/Blue Magic Moments' series, or the Blue Magic portal, off the top of my head...

The reason for the lack of activation recently has little to do with the sponsors and everything to do with Leinster Rugby - I've heard first hand how one premium brand found Leinster to be extremely frustrating to work with in recent years
I have Bumbleflex
Boycey
Beginner

Post by Boycey »

I did say meanginful activation :)

I don't think Leinster negotiated any activation clause with BOI.

I've also heard they can be difficult to deal with.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Theres the [your brand here] shirt sponsor comp
Daniel Sullivan
Boycey
Beginner

Post by Boycey »

Peg Leg wrote:Theres the [your brand here] shirt sponsor comp
Thats back of fag packet stuff.

For one of the biggest Rugby clubs in Europe we should have a decent sponsor producing activation like AIG's #DublinOurTeam campaign

https://www.aig.ie/dublin-gaa/dublin-our-team
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Boycey wrote:

For one of the biggest Rugby clubs in Europe we should have a decent sponsor producing activation like AIG's #DublinOurTeam campaign

Leinster did that back in 2010 as part of the Blue Magic campaign. Its a pity AIG and Dublin GAA couldn't come up with something original.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:Apart from Blue Magic campaign, or the 'Feel the Magic' stuff or the 'Behind the Magic/Blue Magic Moments' series, or the Blue Magic portal, off the top of my head...

The reason for the lack of activation recently has little to do with the sponsors and everything to do with Leinster Rugby - I've heard first hand how one premium brand found Leinster to be extremely frustrating to work with in recent years
So hopefully we can expect a "[WORDS] Magic" or "Magic [WORDS] " activation campaign.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Boycey
Beginner

Post by Boycey »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Boycey wrote:

Leinster did that back in 2010 as part of the Blue Magic campaign. Its a pity AIG and Dublin GAA couldn't come up with something original.
I must have been asleep in 2010. Can you post a link to the mini docu series that BOI produced as an activation device similar to AIG's for Dubkin GAA?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Boycey wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Boycey wrote: Thats back of fag packet stuff.

I must have been asleep in 2010. Can you post a link to the mini docu series that BOI produced as an activation device similar to AIG's for Dubkin GAA?
Nope. It was 6 years ago and it's no longer live. Use the wayback machine if you're that interested. bluemagic.ie is the url
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

SYSK much?
Daniel Sullivan