Bank of Ireland Sponsorship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Frederico
Beginner

Bank of Ireland Sponsorship

Post by Frederico »

How long does the Bank of Ireland sponsorship have to run? I'm glad Leinster has a sponsor, but I'm not sure it looks good on the outside that a bailed out bank is the main sponsor. Seeing Richie Boucher's mug in the programme for the cardiff match last month spoiled my enjoyment for about 2 minutes as i went off on the rant.

Seeing his head on the tv sitting in one of the nice seats in Bordeaux last weekend wasn't good for the blood pressure either. If Munster can get sponsorship from a brand that isn't as tarnished as a bailed out bank - still staffed at board level by a bunch of insiders who were instrumental in putting it in the position it is now in - then so can Leinster.
Scrumdog
Bookworm

Re: Bank of Ireland Sponsorship

Post by Scrumdog »

And now they have two sponsored teams in the final. Just to annoy you even more.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Frederico wrote:How long does the Bank of Ireland sponsorship have to run? I'm glad Leinster has a sponsor, but I'm not sure it looks good on the outside that a bailed out bank is the main sponsor. Seeing Richie Boucher's mug in the programme for the cardiff match last month spoiled my enjoyment for about 2 minutes as i went off on the rant.

Seeing his head on the tv sitting in one of the nice seats in Bordeaux last weekend wasn't good for the blood pressure either. If Munster can get sponsorship from a brand that isn't as tarnished as a bailed out bank - still staffed at board level by a bunch of insiders who were instrumental in putting it in the position it is now in - then so can Leinster.
Get over it! As a customer of BoI, I am under no illusions on their benevolence. But it doesn't do to get too sniffy about who sponsors you. When you operate in a commercial sphere you base your sponsorship decisions on just two criteria; basic legality and price. Legality is a necessary qualifier; price is the ultimate determinant. If you are rich enough (we are not) you can afford to get fussy on the grounds of taste. To borrow a phrase- dissatisfaction with our sponsor is a "first world problem".
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

As long as they're still paying for sponsorship who cares? It's not like they're being sponsored by KONY...
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

AdamK wrote:As long as they're still paying for sponsorship who cares? It's not like they're being sponsored by KONY...

Although he may be a great recruiter for the youth teams
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:
AdamK wrote:As long as they're still paying for sponsorship who cares? It's not like they're being sponsored by KONY...

Although he may be a great recruiter for the youth teams
:? :lol: Oh! Now you are naughty!!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

You can bank on Irish team to get to the finals!
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Bailout aside BOI are not majority owned by the state (unlike the likes of AIB). They need to rebuild their brand/business so need to advertise, they just happen to choose/work in partnership with Leinster Rugby (and Ulster Rugby) to do it.

If it wasnt LR or UR they sponsor it would be someone else.
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Ritchie Boucher pays his own way to matches. He is a card carrying member of Clontarf rugby club; you will see him at the home games in his Clontarf jacket. He is easy to spot, so if you have umbrage with him take it up with him directly I'd suggest...
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Just as sheepshagger says, they need to advertise ffs.

I also had to laugh at the furore when Aviva moved jobs from Ireland after they named Landsowne.
Do people not understand any element of business?!
Gonzo
Learner

Post by Gonzo »

wixfjord wrote:Just as sheepshagger says, they need to advertise ffs.

I also had to laugh at the furore when Aviva moved jobs from Ireland after they named Landsowne.
Glad you found it funny...
12 County Army
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gonzo wrote:

Glad you found it funny...
Absolutely, the furore about "how come they spent all that money on the Aviva" was hilarious.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Wonder would you be so flippant and blasé if it was one of your family who got the chop?

Odd you found it funny.
3 Gold Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Wonder would you be so flippant and blasé if it was one of your family who got the chop?

Odd you found it funny.
Absolutely.
Firstly, I said nothing about the job losses, that was awful, but the way the Aviva thing was brought into it and used against them by the media was laughable.

And secondly, because I can separate advertising of a viable business from the ongoing cost of employing thousands of people.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

wixfjord wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Odd you found it funny.
Absolutely.
Firstly, I said nothing about the job losses, that was awful, but the way the Aviva thing was brought into it and used against them by the media was laughable.

And secondly, because I can separate advertising of a viable business from the ongoing cost of employing thousands of people.

I think I know what you meant first time around. The media spin matters not in this instance. People lost their jobs.

Hope you retain your cold detatchment and hubris if and when the spectre of redundancy & the dole queue should ever visit your door.
3 Gold Stars
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:Just as sheepshagger says, they need to advertise ffs.

Odd you found it funny.

I think I know what you meant first time around. The media spin matters not in this instance. People lost their jobs.

Hope you retain your cold detatchment and hubris if and when the spectre of redundancy & the dole queue should ever visit your door.
As I say, not talking about the job losses, but the response which focused on the Aviva's sponsorship of the Aviva, but you seem to have some attachment to the issue and can't see that.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Frederico wrote: If Munster can get sponsorship from a brand that isn't as tarnished

Toyota's are unreliable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... amry-venza
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
mgall52
Beginner

Post by mgall52 »

So are Munster boom boom :lol:
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Leezer wrote:
Frederico wrote: If Munster can get sponsorship from a brand that isn't as tarnished

Toyota's are unreliable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... amry-venza
At least they do recalls unlike VW.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bank of Ireland extend sponsorship until 2023

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/bank-of-ire ... p-to-2023/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish