A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Fireworks
Mullet

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by Fireworks »

Flash Gordon wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Fireworks wrote:If there was a backs or attacking coach slot open in Leinster I would not have an issue with EOS being on the short list. I would not like to see him considered as a head coach for us but Ulster are not in as strong a position as they have a weak squad that is getting weaker. A quality in demand coach is not likely to pick them so you are left with the picking a young nobody and hope you unearth a gem or trying to find the best or the damaged goods.
I think i'd get sick if Eddie was backs/attack coach at leinster. But to each their own.
Eddie was a super backs coach for Ireland and literally transformed the way we played. However, if you've read his book, the guy is a paranoid control freak who clearly has trouble working with people. The fact he wrote some of the stuff, re-read it and still decided to publish it despite it coming across as wild paranoia says a lot about the man. This was one of the reasons he underachieved so badly with Ireland.

Strong interpersonal skills will be critical in this role as they need culture change. Similarly, I've felt over the last few years that Ulster have been really easy to play against despite having fairly significant attacking options as players because their attack is entirely predictable and ponderous. Eddie's not a head coach in my opinion but could he do an attack coaching role?

Either way, there's no way one man can do the job, it requires a team of exceptional people to transform them culturally and technically.
Happy to accept that I may be wrong on this one. Have not read his book and will admit it is not on my list of must reads before I die.

I still think it is an Eddie level guy that they may end up. It really sounds like they need a big clearance on both the playing and management front to give them a new start.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Fireworks wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: I think i'd get sick if Eddie was backs/attack coach at leinster. But to each their own.
Eddie was a super backs coach for Ireland and literally transformed the way we played. However, if you've read his book, the guy is a paranoid control freak who clearly has trouble working with people. The fact he wrote some of the stuff, re-read it and still decided to publish it despite it coming across as wild paranoia says a lot about the man. This was one of the reasons he underachieved so badly with Ireland.

Strong interpersonal skills will be critical in this role as they need culture change. Similarly, I've felt over the last few years that Ulster have been really easy to play against despite having fairly significant attacking options as players because their attack is entirely predictable and ponderous. Eddie's not a head coach in my opinion but could he do an attack coaching role?

Either way, there's no way one man can do the job, it requires a team of exceptional people to transform them culturally and technically.
Happy to accept that I may be wrong on this one. Have not read his book and will admit it is not on my list of must reads before I die.

I still think it is an Eddie level guy that they may end up. It really sounds like they need a big clearance on both the playing and management front to give them a new start.
I could live with Eddie being in charge as could many others especially given the other alleged options.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Eddie's book is actually quite good though. I generally don't enjoy sports autobiographies (but get at least three every Christmas/birthday), but his, Trevor Brennan's and POC's are up there with the most readable.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

This sounds like a load of nothing, but a rumor is a rumor I suppose. From Joe.ie.......

"Step forward Joe Tomane.

The 28-year-old made his name as a flying winger for Brumbies and Australia before heading up to Montpellier in 2016. Tomane has been with the French outfit for two seasons and came up against Leinster twice in this season's Champions Cup pool stages.

Tomane can also play in midfield so he would be a handy addition to the Blues, especially if the likes of Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw and Fergus McFadden are called up for Ireland duty.

SportsJOE understands the Kiwi-born star was being shopped around and that Leinster are top of his list should he move on. He would be taking a step down with his salary in comparison to Top 14 rates but that is not said to be a major stumbling block.

When contacted, a spokesperson for Leinster says the province are not actively seeking to bring in a foreign replacement for the retiring Nacewa.

The province are set to announce their contract renewals before the end of the season and most of their senior contracts are set to go to advanced academy players, such as Josh Murphy and Ciaran Frawley."
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leaving the likelihood or not of it aside, unless he has a kolpak passport he's of no use.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote:Leaving the likelihood or not of it aside, unless he has a kolpak passport he's of no use.
True enough. Haven't seen a lot of him anyway. Would he be a decent enough replacement?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Leaving the likelihood or not of it aside, unless he has a kolpak passport he's of no use.
My first thoughts too.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

He’s of Samoan/Cook Islands heritage so we could be okay there.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Hmmm Tomane to replace Nacewa would be a bit baffling.

Can't say I've seen much of him for Mont outside Euro games, but he certainly doesn't fit the bill of a leader in the mould of Isa, and I don't think he plays 15 or 12?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If we do lose Joey, as is seemingly increasingly likely, I do hope the IRFU will put a bit of budget into an NIQ, though I'd say we need a hooker before a centre.
Mackeroo
Beginner

Post by Mackeroo »

I saw a tweet yesterday of a picture of Joe Schmidt and Simon Easterby sitting down in a cafe with Joey Carbery. I hope he isn't going anywhere but my gut feeling is he'll be "encouraged" to move.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote:Hmmm Tomane to replace Nacewa would be a bit baffling.

Can't say I've seen much of him for Mont outside Euro games, but he certainly doesn't fit the bill of a leader in the mould of Isa, and I don't think he plays 15 or 12?
Did he not play 12 against us last year in the RDS? Pretty sure he has played at 12 a fair bit for Monty.....
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote:If we do lose Joey, as is seemingly increasingly likely, I do hope the IRFU will put a bit of budget into an NIQ, though I'd say we need a hooker before a centre.
dont agree.. we are losing a key player in backline in nacewa.. needs replacing especially during pro 14 time..

strauss is not a huge loss anymore
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:If we do lose Joey, as is seemingly increasingly likely, I do hope the IRFU will put a bit of budget into an NIQ, though I'd say we need a hooker before a centre.
dont agree.. we are losing a key player in backline in nacewa.. needs replacing especially during pro 14 time..

Yeah but Tracey isn't very good. Leinster are really short once Cronin in unavailable. You can move players around and almost get a functioning backline. You can't just dump a flanker in at 2. We need a hooker badly.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

molloyjh wrote:

Did he not play 12 against us last year in the RDS? Pretty sure he has played at 12 a fair bit for Monty.....
Sorry you might be right, but I thought he was more of a 13 and particularly more of a winger?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

suisse wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Yeah but Tracey isn't very good. Leinster are really short once Cronin in unavailable. You can move players around and almost get a functioning backline. You can't just dump a flanker in at 2. We need a hooker badly.
just think we need more leadership/experience in backline than at hooker.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Isa is not going to be replaced, simple as that. Tomane is a fine player and can cover a lot of positions in the backline, this would be a very good signing IF we pull it off.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We desperately need a NIQ back who can add some leadership. Tomane is not that.

Why do you think it's a good signing?
He has played us three times in the last two years. I don't remember him doing much bar being bowled over by Jack Conan. Have you seen much of him in the Top 14?
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

What's all this about Felipe coming back as backs coach?
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »