Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by neill_m »

alanair wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Heard from a lad I know that Mick Kearney meant to be off to Zebre rather than Connacht. Anyone else hear this?
I thought it was already confirmed that he was going to Treviso ...
Heard an alternative rumour that Nagle was heading to Treviso. Heard the M Kearney to Zebre one from Connacht fans.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

So many rumours about departures, so few about arrivals.

I must admit I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about the short-medium term. How can we overtake Saracens if we're being denuded of players?
Even players who wouldn't make our first choice team play an important role in keeping internal standards high, and winning games when
they're called upon. Leinster 2020 looks like it'll be far more shallow than 2018.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Twist wrote:So many rumours about departures, so few about arrivals.

I must admit I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about the short-medium term. How can we overtake Saracens if we're being denuded of players?
Even players who wouldn't make our first choice team play an important role in keeping internal standards high, and winning games when
they're called upon. Leinster 2020 looks like it'll be far more shallow than 2018.
The younger guys coming through, who got plenty of Pro14 game and some European exposure, is quite a list. Included in that list must be Deegan, Doris, O'Brien, Frawley, Kelleher, Dunne. Add in Porter, A Byrne, O'Loughlin, & Gibson Park. Josh Van der Flyer and Dan Leavy will return from injury, add in the Byrne twins & Vahk up front and various O'Briens in the backline and you have a complete team of up and coming players of real quality.

I'm not claiming any of these players will be international standouts immediately but their CVs are promising so far.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Twist wrote:So many rumours about departures, so few about arrivals.

The younger guys coming through, who got plenty of Pro14 game and some European exposure, is quite a list. Included in that list must be Deegan, Doris, O'Brien, Frawley, Kelleher, Dunne. Add in Porter, A Byrne, O'Loughlin, & Gibson Park. Josh Van der Flyer and Dan Leavy will return from injury, add in the Byrne twins & Vahk up front and various O'Briens in the backline and you have a complete team of up and coming players of real quality.

I'm not claiming any of these players will be international standouts immediately but their CVs are promising so far.
I agree. A previous post was advocating "splashing the cash" and importing the necessary talent for us to compete with Saracens and I couldn't disagree more. Clubs that are traditionally Irish like London Irish and Munster are importing talent from outside their provinces and it must make any victory that bit less enjoyable. Yeah, they're wearing the badge but they aren't "ours" in any respect other than a contract. There are of course exceptions like Nacewa, Stander, Ward (x2) but I personally would rather see Leinster achieve their potential (whatever that may be) with a largely homegrown team than do what Toulon or Racing have done.

The players coming through will be better year on year too. Have a look back at our first Heineken Cup win and we had to lean on young tyros like Kearney, O'Brien, Toner and Sexton. These are now our go-to leaders. The same will be true of Larmour, Ringrose, Byrne (x4) and our silly amount of promising back rows.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's not like we'd be allowed to spend money anyway. Said in the match thread that the one area I think we could improve is just having a physical freak like Skelton or Vunipola. We can't do that but if we had injuries next season and required a medical joker then that's the kind of player I'd like to see us bring in. If I was Guy Easterby I'd be putting a list together of those kind of players for each position in the pack in case we need to bring one in.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's not like we'd be allowed to spend money anyway. Said in the match thread that the one area I think we could improve is just having a physical freak like Skelton or Vunipola. We can't do that but if we had injuries next season and required a medical joker then that's the kind of player I'd like to see us bring in. If I was Guy Easterby I'd be putting a list together of those kind of players for each position in the pack in case we need to bring one in.
Is that not James Ryan?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I must be having a thickie but I can't work out who the second ward in ward (x2) is. Andy and...

Its like Leo said post match...
“A few seasons ago, we didn’t have a chance against teams like this,” said Cullen. “That was the general public perception or one that certainly a lot of guys were writing about. And I do think that we have a chance against teams like this now.

“In terms of where we are going forward, we just continue to invest in a lot of young guys. We’re in a different model to what [Saracens] have, so we just need to get on with that and keep investing in some of the strengths we have.

“When you pull up today and you see the sea of support we have, every club team in the world would love to have it. So that’s a real point of difference for us and it’s something we’re very appreciative to have.

“For us as a club, it’s important for us that we keep trying to display characteristics that people want to support and once we have that level of support it’s important because that allows us to keep investing in facilities and the young guys.

“That’s the model, it’s not going to change drastically, we’re not going to suddenly sign five world-class players, it doesn’t work like that, so it is what it is
We are who we are - I'm okay with that.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:I must be having a thickie but I can't work out who the second ward in ward (x2) is. Andy and...

Its like Leo said post match...
“A few seasons ago, we didn’t have a chance against teams like this,” said Cullen. “That was the general public perception or one that certainly a lot of guys were writing about. And I do think that we have a chance against teams like this now.

“In terms of where we are going forward, we just continue to invest in a lot of young guys. We’re in a different model to what [Saracens] have, so we just need to get on with that and keep investing in some of the strengths we have.

“When you pull up today and you see the sea of support we have, every club team in the world would love to have it. So that’s a real point of difference for us and it’s something we’re very appreciative to have.

“For us as a club, it’s important for us that we keep trying to display characteristics that people want to support and once we have that level of support it’s important because that allows us to keep investing in facilities and the young guys.

“That’s the model, it’s not going to change drastically, we’re not going to suddenly sign five world-class players, it doesn’t work like that, so it is what it is
We are who we are - I'm okay with that.
Mise freisin, big time!!!!

p.s. in the list a couple of posts back of up and coming players a name missing, IMO, was that of Peter Dooley. Reckon with Jack headed to Norn Iron we'll be seeing a lot more of him!!!!

p.p.s. In last week's rugby podcast on the42 either Andy Dunne or Murray Kinsella mentioned, that Stuart Lancaster had bought a house here. Looks like he could be staying for a good while. No better man to blood young talent. As the saying goes: Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí. (Praise the youth and she will come).
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Personally, I have no interest in buying in a load of talent, what makes Leinster great and such a joy to follow is the homegrown talent. Keep working here and we will be rewarded. It makes it all the more special when they deliver. Absolutely proceed with a small number of NIQ's to bolster experience but we have been on the right path for years with our academy. Just need to increase the fence height at training to stop Nucifora and our Southern and Northern brethren pilfering !! They don't seem to have a problem with a 'generated team'.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Lets see where we are this time next season, eh? We've got:

- a good coach in Lancaster
- good players
- our weaknesses highlighted for us by Saracens
- resolve to get back at Saracens next year

I like the quote from Maurice Greene; "To be number one, you must train like number two". Realistically, this is probably the best place to be to put everyone in the right frame of mind for a crack at it next year.

But first to the Pro14, and Munster...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The future's bright the future's blue.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blueberry wrote:Personally, I have no interest in buying in a load of talent, what makes Leinster great and such a joy to follow is the homegrown talent. Keep working here and we will be rewarded. It makes it all the more special when they deliver. Absolutely proceed with a small number of NIQ's to bolster experience but we have been on the right path for years with our academy. Just need to increase the fence height at training to stop Nucifora and our Southern and Northern brethren pilfering !! They don't seem to have a problem with a 'generated team'.
That's a great post.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

While we're talking money and budgets and signings etc, just to put it all into context...

Liverpool, after finishing runners up in the Premier League, earned GBP149.5 million in prize money for their efforts (this doesn't include revenue from their European or Cup campaigns)
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:While we're talking money and budgets and signings etc, just to put it all into context...

Liverpool, after finishing runners up in the Premier League, earned GBP149.5 million in prize money for their efforts (this doesn't include revenue from their European or Cup campaigns)
We should sign rugby players so as I don't think we can afford elite footballers.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

It's not like we'd be allowed to spend money anyway. Said in the match thread that the one area I think we could improve is just having a physical freak like Skelton or Vunipola. We can't do that but if we had injuries next season and required a medical joker then that's the kind of player I'd like to see us bring in. If I was Guy Easterby I'd be putting a list together of those kind of players for each position in the pack in case we need to bring one in.
Agreed we only have to look at Thorn for instance and the difference he made. I wouldn't mind some big IE unit coming in to replace Mick Kearney when he leaves.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by LeRouxIsPHat

Agreed we only have to look at Thorn for instance and the difference he made. I wouldn't mind some big IE unit coming in to replace Mick Kearney when he leaves.
We handled their power and other big teams too. There are only a handful of players in the Skelton/Vunipola mould and we are very strong already in those positions. Why buy an elite who wont be better for many games than what we have.

Tomane is a power unit. We didnt give him a run on the wing.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

That's because he has no pace and has no step. Also injury prone so no thanks.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

carlow man wrote:That's because he has no pace and has no step. Also injury prone so no thanks.
He was in the stands in front of us on Saturday. Also he has tweaked a hammer apparently.
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

With Mike Ruddock rumoured to be on the list of potential coaches being brought into Munster next season I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the Lansdowne players get offers of a move there too. With the World Cup on I can see a few AIL players getting chances with some of the Provinces.

In that case, I would love to see what Peter Sullivan could do if given a chance with Leinster. Top try scorer in the AIL and former Irish U20 winger, he suffered with injuries at the wrong time and didn't get an academy spot. However, he could add real value to our squad during the world cup. I'd hate to see him taken from under our noses by another province.

Mildyinterested might have more insight on his potential.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

macboomba wrote:With Mike Ruddock rumoured to be on the list of potential coaches being brought into Munster next season I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the Lansdowne players get offers of a move there too. With the World Cup on I can see a few AIL players getting chances with some of the Provinces.

In that case, I would love to see what Peter Sullivan could do if given a chance with Leinster. Top try scorer in the AIL and former Irish U20 winger, he suffered with injuries at the wrong time and didn't get an academy spot. However, he could add real value to our squad during the world cup. I'd hate to see him taken from under our noses by another province.

Mildyinterested might have more insight on his potential.
Heard he might be going to Connacht.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!