Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by molloyjh »

munster#1 wrote:I would be very surprised if Leinster were allowed sign yet another back 3 player, especially after Ulster were not allowed sign a scrum half, and Munster the same with tight head.
It depends on the context of the signing though. At 3 and 9 you only ever have 1 on the pitch at any given time. If that's a foreign player then that's an issue as that 1 player directly blocks every other IQ player in his position. In the back 3 if you have 1 foreign player you've 2 IQ ones. That in itself is a very different scenario.

Leinster have 2 NIQs in the back 3 now, but that hasn't stopped them developing Byrne and ROL. Nacewa has shifted around to suit whoever is available and Kirchner has been a bit part player who has only stepped in when needed really. So if the back 3 player is one who doesn't cause any issues with the development of IQ talent then it shouldn't be an issue.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

How much would Byrne and ROL developed if Dave K and McFadden had never got injured?

Thankfully we will never know, now hopefully their form is rewarded.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

goreyguy wrote:How much would Byrne and ROL developed if Dave K and McFadden had never got injured?

Thankfully we will never know, now hopefully their form is rewarded.
How would most players get their chance and develop if nobody ever got injured? It's not a realistic scenario.
Dont Panic!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

munster#1 wrote:I would be very surprised if Leinster were allowed sign yet another back 3 player, especially after Ulster were not allowed sign a scrum half, and Munster the same with tight head.
True. We haven't really produced any back 3 players recently. Apart from Rob and Dave Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Luke Fitzgerald, Adam Byrne, Rory O'Loughlin and we've seen a couple move on, like Andrew Conway and Cian Kelleher.

I know your wording is designed to draw a response; very surprised and yet another so well done there.

Comparing and contrasting foreign signings with Ulster and Munster. Imagine.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Comparing the Pienaar situation to our back three situation is not a great argument.
As Suisse says above, we've consistently delivered outside backs to the national side, unlike Ulster with 9s.
Munster TH scenario is probably closer, albeit you only have 1 TH on the pitch as Molloy says, and I don't think Rassie could be too annoyed at the NIQ/E/joker hand he has been dealt.

Getting Isa re-signed AND an AAC style signing would definitely be a good result and is technically against the protocols, but it seems they're more a guide and can be ignored. Given how little we've used Zane, the fact we might not even have another non project in the squad next year, I think it's possible that Nuci would go for that. We shall see.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

worth referring back to Lucifora saying (with pretty much reference to us) than the 4 NIQ slots arent an entitlement
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

suisse wrote:
True. We haven't really produced any back 3 players recently. Apart from Rob and Dave Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Luke Fitzgerald, Adam Byrne, Rory O'Loughlin and we've seen a couple move on, like Andrew Conway and Cian Kelleher.

I know your wording is designed to draw a response; very surprised and yet another so well done there.

The guidelines laid out by the irfu are that a province can not sign a player in a position that has previously been occupied by a Niq.

If Leinster have isa and an other winger, how much game time will all of these products get.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:
The guidelines laid out by the irfu are that a province can not sign a player in a position that has previously been occupied by a Niq.

If Leinster have isa and an other winger, how much game time will all of these products get.
Guidelines are just that, guidelines, they've already been broken by every other province. With Leinster being bulk suppliers to the national side and bringing through reams of young players, I could see the same happening in this instance.

Leinster currently have Isa and another winger, and all of the products are getting ample game time and thriving.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

wixfjord wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

Guidelines are just that, guidelines, they've already been broken by every other province. With Leinster being bulk suppliers to the national side and bringing through reams of young players, I could see the same happening in this instance.

Leinster currently have Isa and another winger, and all of the products are getting ample game time and thriving.
The other winger's name is Zane Kirchener.

As you say guidelines are guidelines. If Leinster want to sign ACC, I see no reason why they shouldn't, but Kelleher left last year........and therein lies the problem.
Personally, I feel Leinster's breakthrough crop of back three players have the potential to go all the way. That route will surely be hampered by the presence of the likes of ACC. Realistically, the young guns would not have received quite as much time if DK and Thumbs were not injured this season. AAC will be another (expensive) roadblock.
As it stands the roster consists of RK, ZK (presume ACC replaces), ISA, ROL, AB, DK, FMcF and a few other youngsters. The Academy is full of potential. Why sign a 33 year old on a jolly tour of Europe?
As a Munster supporter, I would love to see Leinster use up a NIQ slot in what is an area of serious strength. I would much prefer that to them addressing the glaring weaknesses at Second Row (an injury to Toner would be catastrophic, but in fairness he seems indestructible) and Scrumhalf (one injury away from at the very least sub ECC standard)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

All Blacks nil wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

The other winger's name is Zane Kirchener.

As you say guidelines are guidelines. If Leinster want to sign ACC, I see no reason why they shouldn't, but Kelleher left last year........and therein lies the problem.
Personally, I feel Leinster's breakthrough crop of back three players have the potential to go all the way. That route will surely be hampered by the presence of the likes of ACC. Realistically, the young guns would not have received quite as much time if DK and Thumbs were not injured this season. AAC will be another (expensive) roadblock.
As it stands the roster consists of RK, ZK (presume ACC replaces), ISA, ROL, AB, DK, FMcF and a few other youngsters. The Academy is full of potential. Why sign a 33 year old on a jolly tour of Europe?
As a Munster supporter, I would love to see Leinster use up a NIQ slot in what is an area of serious strength. I would much prefer that to them addressing the glaring weaknesses at Second Row (an injury to Toner would be catastrophic, but in fairness he seems indestructible) and Scrumhalf (one injury away from at the very least sub ECC standard)

It's Zane Kirchner actually, but who's being pedantic?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Aac is not happening. Last time it was we lost a poster here. However the difference between the back 5 guys breaking through over the past 16 months and the next crop is huge wrt age and experience. They are a way off yet.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Getting lectured by Munster fans about NIQs in Leinster is surreal.

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

CiaranIrl wrote:Getting lectured by Munster fans about NIQs in Leinster is surreal.

Fixed
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote:
suisse wrote:

Like centre for instance? The other part of the guidelines are that you can't replace an NIQ with another NIQ like for instance if you had an NIQ centre and then went on to sign another NIQ centre. That's totally verboten!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Dave Cahill wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Getting lectured by Munster fans about NIQs in Leinster is fughken unreal.

Fixed
Double fixed
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Getting lectured by Munster fans about NIQs in Leinster is surreal.

Fixed
Oops. :oops:
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Your opinion of what constitutes a lecture is slightly off.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Ryan out of contract and Munster can't afford him, they've got the begging bowl out again. He wants to stay in Ireland, we can afford him. He'd be a good fit for us:

"Ryan is currently on a central IRFU contract, which expires in June 2017, and it is understood that the latest offer being presented to him is a Munster provincial contract. However, it’s believed that there has been some delay in getting the deal over the line, with the IRFU having been hesitant to provide a top-up to that deal to ensure that the player is not taking a large wage cut. There have been expressions of interest in Ryan from France – as has been the case with several other Irish players in the recent past – although it’s understood the player is keen to remain in Ireland."

PS I thought they were all IRFU contracts these days?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote:

Your opinion of what constitutes a lecture is slightly off.
You're quite correct m#1, the phrase Ciaranirl was looking for was "sneered at"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Anyone know when Conans contract is next up for renewal?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am