Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by mildlyinterested »

don see it happening myself.

also would Byrne not benching ahead of tracy in pro 13 semi and final, not be him pushing tracy for his place?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:If Leinster were to make a signing between now and the start of the next season [or even the end of the World Cup], what position should it be in?
I would say openside. Penny's still very green to be going up against the likes of Saracens. I have high hopes for Connors, but it might be no harm to add, say, Conor Oliver (who isn't getting a look in down in Munster) to the roster in Leavy's absence.

I'm in two minds as to whether it would be a good idea. Penny and Connors could come on a lot very quickly, and then there could be too many people to try to keep happy.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:don see it happening myself.

also would Byrne not benching ahead of tracy in pro 13 semi and final, not be him pushing tracy for his place?
IMO, Kelleher will be ahead of both by November.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

leinsterforever wrote:
hugonaut wrote:If Leinster were to make a signing between now and the start of the next season [or even the end of the World Cup], what position should it be in?
I would say openside. Penny's still very green to be going up against the likes of Saracens. I have high hopes for Connors, but it might be no harm to add, say, Conor Oliver (who isn't getting a look in down in Munster) to the roster in Leavy's absence.

I'm in two minds as to whether it would be a good idea. Penny and Connors could come on a lot very quickly, and then there could be too many people to try to keep happy.
You want to sign a lad who isn't getting played in a squad lacking a decent 7?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

I can't see Kelleher in 5/6 games leapfrogging two guys who will likely be available for all of those. It will probably happen eventually but don't think he'll get enough game time to do it that quickly, considering he has played less than 100 mins so far.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote:

would be great if so, as it would mean he is performing outstandingly.
leinsterforever
Mullet

the spoofer wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

You want to sign a lad who isn't getting played in a squad lacking a decent 7?
I don't pick the Munster team, mate. I'd have him ahead of O'Donnell, Cloete and O'Donoghue
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I wouldn't.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

I would rate Conor Oliver highly too. He's been seriously hampered by injuries but could be a decent signing.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Didn't think that he had done anything to deserve it, or conversely that JT had done anything bad enough to be dropped. The selection confused me. JT did really well off the bench against Toulouse and outside a bad throw, he performed at a decent standard against Saracens - 12/0 in tackle count, including stopping a try on the line. The game wasn't won or lost on his crooked throw.

There were no games after that bar the Pro14 KOs, so I didn't see what Bryan Byrne could have done to push himself ahead having been behind for 27 of 30 games of the season.

Tracy went 12+14 for 990 mins over the course of the season, Byrne went 3+13 for 481 mins - there's a very significant disparity in starts and gametime. I've no idea why the order changed at the last minute.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

well I think they gave Bryan his chance in the semi final and when he performed well off the bench they decided to stick with him. Coming into next season, i'd say Bryan is pushing Tracy for his position.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

rumour going around that Tadgh McElroy returning to Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:

Didn't think that he had done anything to deserve it, or conversely that JT had done anything bad enough to be dropped. The selection confused me. JT did really well off the bench against Toulouse and outside a bad throw, he performed at a decent standard against Saracens - 12/0 in tackle count, including stopping a try on the line. The game wasn't won or lost on his crooked throw.

There were no games after that bar the Pro14 KOs, so I didn't see what Bryan Byrne could have done to push himself ahead having been behind for 27 of 30 games of the season.

Tracy went 12+14 for 990 mins over the course of the season, Byrne went 3+13 for 481 mins - there's a very significant disparity in starts and gametime. I've no idea why the order changed at the last minute.
A manageable injury would fit.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested

I wonder where if true? Ulster would make the most sense with Best retiring.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

sunshiner1 wrote:
by mildlyinterested

I wonder where if true? Ulster would make the most sense with Best retiring.
Ulster would make most sense with him being born in Leinster
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

I’d say loosehead, although there is a strong case for a hooker I’d say Tracy is better cover for Cronin than Byrne or Dooley are for Healy. Also we currently have a 4 hookers including a very highly rated young tyro v 3 loosheads.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Jonny tight lips wrote:
I’d say loosehead, although there is a strong case for a hooker I’d say Tracy is better cover for Cronin than Byrne or Dooley are for Healy. Also we currently have a 4 hookers including a very highly rated young tyro v 3 loosheads.
Wouldn't like to see that at all cos I think both Dooley and Byrne could be very good with a bit of exposure. Bent could cover across in an emergency while Milne's developing.

Don't think the time is right for a signing at hooker either. Kelleher got limited enough gametime last season as it is. But I probably rate Tracy and Byrne a bit higher than most on here. Look back at Luke McGrath's winning try versus Exeter in the Aviva a few seasons ago. It was Tracy with the beautiful late ball to Leavy for his line-break.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

leinsterforever wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:
Wouldn't like to see that at all cos I think both Dooley and Byrne could be very good with a bit of exposure. Bent could cover across in an emergency while Milne's developing.

Don't think the time is right for a signing at hooker either. Kelleher got limited enough gametime last season as it is. But I probably rate Tracy and Byrne a bit higher than most on here. Look back at Luke McGrath's winning try versus Exeter in the Aviva a few seasons ago. It was Tracy with the beautiful late ball to Leavy for his line-break.
The question was “who would you sign”, from a squad prospective only having 3 senior looseheads when one is the starter for Ireland in a world cup year is risky particularly when the gulf in performance between the first choice in both performance and exposure is so large. Only Milne in the academy who isint exactly tearing it up at U20.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Jonny tight lips wrote:The question was “who would you sign”, from a squad prospective only having 3 senior looseheads when one is the starter for Ireland in a world cup year is risky particularly when the gulf in performance between the first choice in both performance and exposure is so large. Only Milne in the academy who isint exactly tearing it up at U20.
Developing homegrown props has probably been the standout area for Leinster since about 2012 or 2013. It's up there with development in the backrow anyway. We've been in this type of situation before, where Moore or Furlong or McGrath have had to be brought up to a new level so there'd be enough depth. The system works. They bring in the next cab off the rank, and with good coaching and stiff competition in training, players have invariably succeeded. They could bring in Guiseppe Coyne for a period to have a look at him, like they did with Adam Coyle and Abdaladze in the last while. Or, with Abdaldze, Aungier and Clarkson coming through at tighthead, Bent could provide cover. I'd be very confident that things will remain good at prop for the foreseeable future.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I would sign a Fullback some lad who is young and is IE some Islander with serious pace. Kearney needs to be replaced sooner rather than later so lets get some young lad now play him solely for us for 5 years and then Ireland can have him.