A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
This is the measured post that I would not have dared to make. Well done.

He definitely owes us nothing and, if we're honest, his presence has been slightly disruptive to the squad for a number of seasons.

What a joy he was to watch in his pomp. His performances in Schmidt's first two seasons were breathtaking.
With a different coach, he might have made it to a world cup semi in 2011. That was - in my mind - the best back row we have ever had.
Eh...what?
Without going all bluemagic on it, he has definitely been parachuted into squads just ahead of international windows, not always with Leinster's best interest in mind. That is nothing against him in any way, but how the IRFU have exploited the situation.

If you don't agree, that's fine: you rarely do. However, I know a lot of people who do, so we'll leave it there, and not destroy another thread.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

He definitely owes us nothing and, if we're honest, his presence has been slightly disruptive to the squad for a number of seasons.

What a joy he was to watch in his pomp. His performances in Schmidt's first two seasons were breathtaking.
With a different coach, he might have made it to a world cup semi in 2011. That was - in my mind - the best back row we have ever had.
Eh...what?
Without going all bluemagic on it, he has definitely been parachuted into squads just ahead of international windows, not always with Leinster's best interest in mind. That is nothing against him in any way, but how the IRFU have exploited the situation.

If you don't agree, that's fine: you rarely do. However, I know a lot of people who do, so we'll leave it there, and not destroy another thread.
Hmmm, personally I don't think our best backrower being placed into squads ahead of international windows isn't 'disruptive'. His performance against Wasps showed that for eg.

The big bad IRFU wanting one of their stars to get game time in a province they are in charge of is fair to me.

Usually when people call someone a 'disruptive presence', there's a bit more to it than than trying to get a guy fit for club and province. In fact, I'd say his desire to get back fit and play a part despite unfortunate injuries is inspiring to young guys and others in the squad.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

bluemagic wrote:Leinster will lose SOB and Reid this year. They’ll potentially lose Kearney, Fardy, McGrath on top of this. Add that to last years loss of Isa nacewa and jordi Murphy and it’s a worrying exodus.....

Unlike other provinces we won’t be able to buy foreigners or take as we please from the other provinces. IRFU have decided to use Leinster as a farm for young players, part of this is clearing the bigger players out at the top so the young lads get plenty of game time.
Neither of these points are related.

I think you need to tweak your ranting algorithm. It's spitting out strange results
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: Hmmm, personally I don't think our best backrower being placed into squads ahead of international windows isn't 'disruptive'.
From the perspective of an Ireland or Lions fan, it is only positive that the IRFU exploited the contractual situation that way.
Generally, but particularly on this forum, my perspective is that of a Leinster fan.
In that context, I take a different view to you clearly. However I know a majority of Leinster fans I know agree with my view.
So, as per above, let's move on.

Rather than debate the IRFU, I would prefer to focus on the rest of the content of my post about SOB, and remember the hugely positive contribution he personally always made to Leinster over the past decade.
Last edited by curates_egg on February 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Eh...what?

What I would say is that having SOB around was probably a contributing factor in Jordi going up north for example (if you listened to the left wing podcast before Christmas), Jordi always felt he would lose his place automatically if certain faces were fit and he felt he was better then that. We all love SOB but from a Leinster perspective Jordi gave us a lot more in the last couple of years then SOB has so I think his presence has effected things even if it is outside his control.

Obviously he has been a phenomenal player for Leinster and Ireland but he has been mostly unavailable for us for a few years but he is still a huge presence in the squad so I do get the point if I might have worded it differently.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

OTT wrote: What I would say is that having SOB around was probably a contributing factor in Jordi going up north for example (if you listened to the left wing podcast before Christmas), Jordi always felt he would lose his place automatically if certain faces were fit and he felt he was better then that. We all love SOB but from a Leinster perspective Jordi gave us a lot more in the last couple of years then SOB has so I think his presence has effected things even if it is outside his control.
Was debating precisely this point last night with a mate. Would Jordi have gone if SOB were not there?
We will never know. It is definitely a big blow to have lost six experienced back row players in 3/4 seasons (Jennings, Ryan, McLaughlin, Heaslip, Jordi and now SOB).
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just out of curiosity, have the IRFU ever wanted to contract a player that a province didn't? Not saying that happened at all in this case but when the rumours started it got me thinking that we really couldn't justify the kind of wages he'd demand and it does make selection easier for Leo IMO.

It's probably more likely to have happened where someone was IQ in a position where we were very light on numbers but the province felt they'd be better off without them. Again I'm not saying it happened in this case but you could see it with someone like Ah You where Connacht would have felt that he didn't work hard enough and they could make better use of their resources, but the IRFU would have felt that we were too desperate for props at the time.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

bluemagic wrote:Happy to see the back of him. Didn’t give a damn about playing for Leinster last few years. If it helps Deegan and Doris stay then I’m happy
Fup me!! that's some statement. Do you know the man?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

desperado wrote:
bluemagic wrote:Happy to see the back of him. Didn’t give a damn about playing for Leinster last few years. If it helps Deegan and Doris stay then I’m happy
Fup me!! that's some statement. Do you know the man?
It's a well known fact that he broke his arm in November just to avoid Leinster duty over Christmas.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Assume just like Zebo, he will now be immediately dropped from the Irish squad?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote: Hmmm, personally I don't think our best backrower being placed into squads ahead of international windows isn't 'disruptive'.
From the perspective of an Ireland or Lions fan, it is only positive that the IRFU exploited the contractual situation that way.
Generally, but particularly on this forum, my perspective is that of a Leinster fan.
In that context, I take a different view to you clearly. However I know a majority of Leinster fans I know agree with my view.
So, as per above, let's move on.

Rather than debate the IRFU, I would prefer to focus on the rest of the content of my post about SOB, and remember the hugely positive contribution he personally always made to Leinster over the past decade.
The majority of Leinster fans you know see Sean O'Brien as a disruptive presence for the last few years?
I'd try to get out of that bubble if I were you!
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Well now that's been sorted there should be nothing standing in the way of tadhg beirne coming back from Munster. He can play back row

Now wouldn't that be nice.....
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

£450k a year. He must have some agent.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

cormac wrote:£450k a year. He must have some agent.
Kidney paying restitution for all those Irish squads he left him out of.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:£450k a year. He must have some agent.
Doesn't say much for London Irish either, sounds like a teenager offered that based on some YouTube tribute videos.

Don't mean to be harsh on SOB, he'll always give his all and I'd say he'll be useful to them from a leadership/standards POV regardless of how much he plays, but with his injury record they shouldn't be putting all their eggs in his basket.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thats something that puzzles me, SOB has never been a particular fan of Kidney in the past.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:Thats something that puzzles me, SOB has never been a particular fan of Kidney in the past.
Yeah but for 450k I'd even go for a pint with Mildy,
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Jaysus all the Leinster transfer news anymore seems to be outgoing. Could really do with some uplifting signing news.

It' would be about a year a head of schedule but what say you all for another Isa come back? :D
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:Assume just like Zebo, he will now be immediately dropped from the Irish squad?
Yes, from what I’ve been told, Saturday is likely to be his last game for Ireland.
Which is part of the reason he is starting ahead of VdF
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

maps wrote:
RobbieRockBoy wrote:Assume just like Zebo, he will now be immediately dropped from the Irish squad?
Yes, from what I’ve been told, Saturday is likely to be his last game for Ireland.
Which is part of the reason he is starting ahead of VdF
That would make no sense mid tournament.

SOB, if true, is leaving after the RWC so there’s no timing issue around developing a replacement. POC wasn’t dropped for the last RWC so it’s entirely consistent.