Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by sunshiner1 »

Looking at ROL's performance this weekend I think Reid will leave. He is 29 and now third choice centre when everyone is fit. There is also two young guys coming up behind him who could ovetake him in a season or so. He should head oversea and pick up a paycheck for himself.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

sunshiner1 wrote:Looking at ROL's performance this weekend I think Reid will leave. He is 29 and now third choice centre when everyone is fit. There is also two young guys coming up behind him who could ovetake him in a season or so. He should head oversea and pick up a paycheck for himself.
I suppose it’s possible that Reid will leave- but ironically this season he has established his value to the first team squad. He’s capable of playing Centre and out half and his defence and tackling (different if related things) has been very sound.

He’s getting game time in some impressive team performances- okay Dragons and Ospreys, but he was one of the elder lemons in those teams and he showed the leadership required. He was excellent at 12 against Bath away.

All in all, that appears to be a fine season to date and good progression... except he is late 20s, and there are certainly others flooding through. Yeah- you could see him going. If he does, I hope it’s to another province.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:A pervasive rumour throughout the weekend is that Pro 14 Board held discussions last week with CVC, the business Group who have almost finalised Heads of Agreement to buy 36% of Premiership Rugby for c. Stg£220m.

If the four Unions which own Pro 14 are considering selling a shareholding, they should only do so if they are prepared to agree a Broadcasting Contract with Free-to-Air rights in all four countries so that the game, audience and players, will grow.

Neither Unions nor Clubs in Pro 14 need a windfall profit. If money goes to Clubs, it will end up in Players salaries. Let them grow the audience to justify increased salaries. Otherwise, we will just end up like Premiership, EPCR and Super Rugby competitions.

Grow the game first, the rewards will follow and be sustainable.
If you want an almost like-for-like case of what CVC acquiring a minority sport, just look at Formula 1 car racing. Its public profile has shrunk to almost invisible. The CVC deal is a way the oligarchs of the PLR can cover their huge losses.

There’s no future for rugby- and certainly not for the Celtic League in any deal with those vultures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by artaneboy » December 18th, 2018, 9:01 am

sunshiner1 wrote:
Looking at ROL's performance this weekend I think Reid will leave. He is 29 and now third choice centre when everyone is fit. There is also two young guys coming up behind him who could ovetake him in a season or so. He should head oversea and pick up a paycheck for himself.

I suppose it’s possible that Reid will leave- but ironically this season he has established his value to the first team squad. He’s capable of playing Centre and out half and his defence and tackling (different if related things) has been very sound.

He’s getting game time in some impressive team performances- okay Dragons and Ospreys, but he was one of the elder lemons in those teams and he showed the leadership required. He was excellent at 12 against Bath away.

All in all, that appears to be a fine season to date and good progression... except he is late 20s, and there are certainly others flooding through. Yeah- you could see him going. If he does, I hope it’s to another province.
He'll always be useful to us and I'd be happy if he signed again. I think it depends on where he is in his life. He could be our version of Billy Holland a dependable pro who will steady the ship when the internationals are away but will never be a first-teamer unless injuries happen. Maybe he is happy with that if he has family/plans for the future here but I hope for his sake he backs himself and goes somewhere to become a first-choice in a different team.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote: He was excellent at 12 against Bath away.
Let's not go overboard now!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

daly joined connacht this week on loan.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Can muster stop signing additional long term signings under the guise of a short term “medical joker” or at least wait for their last short term medical joker who signed two and a half years ago to leave before signing another

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/mu ... 39897.html
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Can muster stop signing additional long term signings under the guise of a short term “medical joker” or at least wait for their last short term medical joker who signed two and a half years ago to leave before signing another

I don't think there is anything in it and I don't think he will stay. But if I were Nick McCarthy I would be a little nervous and/ or pissed off.

Potentially going from 3rd choice 9 in your home province surrounded by your friends and family and support... to 3rd choice 9 without all those things
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:Can muster stop signing additional long term signings under the guise of a short term “medical joker” or at least wait for their last short term medical joker who signed two and a half years ago to leave before signing another

I don't think there is anything in it and I don't think he will stay. But if I were Nick McCarthy I would be a little nervous and/ or pissed off.

Potentially going from 3rd choice 9 in your home province surrounded by your friends and family and support... to 3rd choice 9 without all those things

...and a loyal and ligindary faithful who are happy to jump on your back when you lose a game. Joey Carbery had a number of them on Munsterfans slating him after Castres last week and calling for an ( another) overseas player.k.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Cian Kelleher is “likely” to rejoin Leinster on a two year deal according to the independent. Anyone hear anything?
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

sunshiner1 wrote:Cian Kelleher is “likely” to rejoin Leinster on a two year deal according to the independent. Anyone hear anything?
Would this mean we'd have to make way with one?

Dave Kearney?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting, wasn’t there a falling out when he left or something?

With Ferg on his last legs he fits the profile of a guy we could do with. Would score a lot of tries when the internationals are away too.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:Interesting, wasn’t there a falling out when he left or something?
That's how I remember it.
I'll believe this when I see it.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

sunshiner1 wrote:Cian Kelleher is “likely” to rejoin Leinster on a two year deal according to the independent. Anyone hear anything?

Link? I wouldn’t rush out to re-sign him, with Jack and Hugo graduating and two very promising year 2 academy players as of next year backing up 6 senior wingers it makes no sense. Unless of course we have to send Larmor and Lowe down to prop up Munster
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Jonny tight lips wrote: Link?
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 79902.html

The first rugby story in the indo.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jonny tight lips wrote:

Link? I wouldn’t rush out to re-sign him, with Jack and Hugo graduating and two very promising year 2 academy players as of next year backing up 6 senior wingers it makes no sense. Unless of course we have to send Larmor and Lowe down to prop up Munster
you are assuming senior players will still be here next season, wait and see.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If only we had someone who was close to St Michael's here to give us the inside scoop...
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The necessities of professional sport can often be the most soothing of balms for hurt feelings!
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

wixfjord wrote:Interesting, wasn’t there a falling out when he left or something?

With Ferg on his last legs he fits the profile of a guy we could do with. Would score a lot of tries when the internationals are away too.
I remember there being some rumours about attitude issues when he left. But I don't recall seeing it anywhere other than here ha
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

And his bro is in the academy.