Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ror
Graduate

Rumour Mill

Post by ror »

There are serious talks going on with Top Notch second row. Obviously I cant say who,but hopefully we can get this guy across the line...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by blockhead »

Is it POC?
I'd bet he would love to win another HEC!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

for immediate arrival or for when?
and what info does bails have on this?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Not Immediate....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ror wrote:Not Immediate....
Big Bad Brad to take a mid season Sabbatical from the Highlanders.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Really makes you wonder why we couldn't just re-sign Hines on a 2 year deal, rather than be in the shopping market for aging legends come the business end of the season...

My monies on Matfield.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

new year in time for HC rounds 5 & 6 or for next season?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

blockhead wrote:Is it POC?
I'd bet he would love to win another HEC!
:lol: You are naughty!
Agree totally on Hines- what were thy thinking?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Folks, I have heard nothing about a world class second row coming to Leinster. In fact it is hard to think of a world class second row !

Mrs B spoke with Mrs Brad Thorn over the weekend, and Brad certainly won't be back. They have only just settled in Dunedin and Mrs T has just been appointed President of her local Flower Guild. She explained that this would take a lot of her time and she couldn't countenance leaving the Flower Guild mid Presidency

Brad has given some of his time to the local scout troop, and he expects to mix his Rugby with camping and outdoor activities. Furthermore next year sees a huge Jamboree in Otago and Brad is mad keen to be a part of it.

So no Brad Thorn again
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Nathan Sharpe - think he is free in a month or so (after the Wallabies tour Europe).
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Was "comfortable" with Brad given Leo and Browne's injury and Sykes' issues. Would not support this move however at all. Not saying its an area we are not weak in, not saying it wouldn't be a benefit but this is ......unseemly. Back what you have. Logical if exaggerated conclusion to the thought process - lets get a whole new team in. Nah, don't support this if true
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

blaker wrote:Was "comfortable" with Brad given Leo and Browne's injury and Sykes' issues. Would not support this move however at all. Not saying its an area we are not weak in, not saying it wouldn't be a benefit but this is ......unseemly. Back what you have. Logical if exaggerated conclusion to the thought process - lets get a whole new team in. Nah, don't support this if true
Strange comment. Isn't the whole reason for NIQ players to improve Irish provinces in areas they're weak. Leo is coming to the end, Browne is good but limited, and we've a few young Irish (Denton, Toner, Flanagan) and possible Irish (Roux) SRs who need someone beside them. It's the exact signing we should be looking to make tbh.

Was the signing of Rocky, Isa or Felipe unseemly?!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oh, and please sweet baby jesus let it be Andres Bekker or Whitelock.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

No not at all, my issue isn't with the possibility of a NIQ, it's the mid/late season aspect. Goodman/Bent, both NIQ, both arriving late but signed and in place well in advance of the start so I don't mind. This is obviously within the rules and I fully accept the rationale and the argument of strengthening where possible. I'm just thinking of Browne/Toner who will again (if this is true) be sidelined by a late arrival. If its a 2 year deal I'd have less of an issue but a short term, non injury cover, late season signing, regardless of nationality just doesn't sit right with me

Fully accept the opposing view, just my 2 cents
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

wixfjord wrote:Oh, and please sweet baby jesus let it be Andres Bekker or Whitelock.
Someone who could "balance" a scrum beside Toner. Opposing teams would just give us the ball rather than bother with a lineout.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

We provide the bulk of the Irish team, brought in two "new" Irish players, one at least of starting quality (whatever a persons stance on the granny rule and naturalisation) and we only have 4 NIQ players, two of which are project players (Roux and Goodman could become IQ if good enough) and we've never really enjoyed the benefits of bringing in an established world class player for a long priod, like a Pienaar, Afoa, Botha, Howlett etc., any top class NIQ players we've had long term were either not world class stars when we signed them or most made their name at Leinster, mostly down to excellent recruitment and occasionally benefitting Ireland, with the exception of short term signings like Thorn or Elsom for example...

I would love, and think we deserve, a world class lock that we could get 4 or 5 seasons out of.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

wixfjord wrote:Oh, and please sweet baby jesus let it be Andres Bekker or Whitelock.
Whitelock signed a new contract with the NZRU last week. For the record, it was announced along with new contracts for Ali Williams and Anthony Boric so they can be ruled out of the equation also. If I was to make a wild guess, given the way that it has been phrased i.e. the move will not be immediate, I'd put my money on Tom Donnelly. He's in Japan on a one season deal which will end in March. He hasn't signed up with anyone in NZ for next year either, as far as I am aware. He's a big bloke at 6'7" and almost 18 stone. I'm not sure he fills the criteria of being top notch though given he only has a handful of caps and couldn't get his game for the Crusaders this season.

I'd much rather Bekker. I'm not sure of his contract status but I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking for a move abroad. He has had a couple of rough years there through injury and his personal life.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dannie Roussow or Dan Vickerman?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

simonokeeffe wrote:Dannie Roussow or Dan Vickerman?
Signed for Toulon recently and retired respectively.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ceemec wrote:
Whitelock signed a new contract with the NZRU last week. For the record, it was announced along with new contracts for Ali Williams and Anthony Boric so they can be ruled out of the equation also. If I was to make a wild guess, given the way that it has been phrased i.e. the move will not be immediate, I'd put my money on Tom Donnelly. He's in Japan on a one season deal which will end in March. He hasn't signed up with anyone in NZ for next year either, as far as I am aware. He's a big bloke at 6'7" and almost 18 stone. I'm not sure he fills the criteria of being top notch though given he only has a handful of caps and couldn't get his game for the Crusaders this season.

I'd much rather Bekker. I'm not sure of his contract status but I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking for a move abroad. He has had a couple of rough years there through injury and his personal life.
That's probably not a bad thing, both overrated imo.

Any other names to throw into the mix? Horwill? Is he 'top quality''?

Also, I presume this is for end of the season rather than mid season?

Gwan ror, give us another tidbit!!