Leo Cullen

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster are never signing him so it's all speculation
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

In any event, if Ulster do get him it'll be yet another very expensive, high profile NIQ player for them (tenner bets they'll still feel victimised by the IRFU). He also most likely isn't subject to Kolpak, as his parents are Tongan.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster are never signing him so it's all speculation
It's not even speculation, it's just a chat. The Mill must be fed.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I wonder if they will look to replace Ian Nagle or Mick Kearney with an IQ'd lock - Jerry Sexton or Mark Flanagan maybe?

Or if they will try sign a IQ'd hooker? Shane Delahunt? Tadgh McElroy?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Made Of Ale wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Made Of Ale wrote: Is this part of a new policy to sign up players that have no baggage of recent negative online publicity?
I’d take all that controversy- and a lot more to get him here. He’s probably the best outside back in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To clarify, I was indirectly alluding to the fact that it could be perceived as unusual to be considering disciplining one player (Gilroy) for sending an offensive private message, while at the same time trying to sign another player that has very recently sent an offensive and very public message. I don't wish to get into any moral arguments on either side, just that it's an interesting juxtaposition.

Of course Folau's outstanding qualities as a rugby player are evident to anyone who's ever seen him play. Also, this is still only a rumour.
No- I understand your point. My point is that even with that public expression of his religious views (which I don’t support), I’d have him as a player.

I don’t accept this “role model” requirement. Huge unsustainable implications if that was to be properly policed. Once he obeys the laws of the land, keeps his private life discreet and his views to himself, that’s sufficient.

Anyway, not likely to happen for us, but I hope Ulster do get him, if he comes North.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I'm sorry, but he said very publicly that he believes homosexuals should burn in hell. How would you feel if he said the same thing about black or jewish people? Religion is no excuse.

He can FRO and I wouldn't want him anywhere near Leinster.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote:I wonder if they will look to replace Ian Nagle or Mick Kearney with an IQ'd lock - Jerry Sexton or Mark Flanagan maybe?

Or if they will try sign a IQ'd hooker? Shane Delahunt? Tadgh McElroy?
Are either of those second rowers an upgrade? Unless there was a clear upgrade available I wouldn't bother immediately.

Hooker I believe we could do with a signing for depth and competition, especially as Strauss seems to be shaping to go.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

ChrisUppy wrote:I'm sorry, but he said very publicly that he believes homosexuals should burn in hell. How would you feel if he said the same thing about black or jewish people? Religion is no excuse.

Not to get too deep into it, but that's not what he said. He said they would go to Hell, based on the theology of his beliefs, but if they 'repented', they would not. It's a fairly standard conservative Christian belief and is not necessarily hateful to individual people (although obviously often is), it's based on the belief that any sexual act outside of a heterosexual marriage is a sin.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

neiliog93 wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Are you actually serious? Arguably the best outside back in the world. I wouldn't mind him as a utility back replacement for Isa here!
What!? I wouldn't want someone like that associated with Leinster regardless of how good they are. Part and parcel of being a player is being a role model. Heading out to kids for the various camps and things like that. It's not just about what they do on the pitch.
He has conservative Christian views on issues of sexuality, which are common in Polynesia and Polynesian communities in Australia/New Zealand. As long as he agreed not to tweet (and he deleted the last one) or come out with public pronouncements again on the matter, I wouldn't mind. He is a good role model in other ways: well behaved on the pitch, conducts interviews with politeness, makes times for fans, no drunken off-field antics, involved in charity work etc.
Unless his public pronouncements were an apology and a retraction then the damage is done. Saying he's good in other ways is like saying that Dylan Hartley is good in other ways too. He is polite in interviews, hasn't been involved in drunken antics AFAIK, is involved with charity work and doesn't publicly bash people who are different from him. That doesn't make up for the on pitch BS (or off pitch BS in Folaus case). Folau is a bigot, plain and simple. Nothing else he does changes that fact. And at the moment the Waratahs and Wallabies are empowering bigotry by not addressing it in the manner they should. I wouldn't want to see any Irish team doing that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I find it hard to be annoyed with Folau because I think anyone who would think that is just too thick to be angry with. There's no intelligence or logic behind what he "thinks", he's just a dead behind the eyes moron.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

neiliog93 wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:I'm sorry, but he said very publicly that he believes homosexuals should burn in hell. How would you feel if he said the same thing about black or jewish people? Religion is no excuse.

Not to get too deep into it, but that's not what he said. He said they would go to Hell, based on the theology of his beliefs, but if they 'repented', they would not. It's a fairly standard conservative Christian belief and is not necessarily hateful to individual people (although obviously often is), it's based on the belief that any sexual act outside of a heterosexual marriage is a sin.
If we are to select players on their political, moral or cultural views, we are in very murky territory. Even over the last 20 years, do you think all of our great players from Ireland or overseas were all exemplary in their behaviour or/ and views?

All we can realistically ask for is compliance with the laws of the land and for people to shut up on their non-sporting views. By the way- that’s even those views we agree with!

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I don't see any murky waters in not wanting outspoken bigots representing the team I support.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

artaneboy wrote:
No- I understand your point. My point is that even with that public expression of his religious views (which I don’t support), I’d have him as a player.

I don’t accept this “role model” requirement. Huge unsustainable implications if that was to be properly policed. Once he obeys the laws of the land, keeps his private life discreet and his views to himself, that’s sufficient.

Anyway, not likely to happen for us, but I hope Ulster do get him, if he comes North.
Being a 'role model' is not a work requirement, unless people pay to see you work and your company requires you to promote their business or if your role requires you interact with the media.
It is part of the bargain, pro players have to be really good at rugby and really presentable to the public and in return the get paid to play in the best teams.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

neiliog93 wrote:

We won't get into it, but a quick skim of the bible would pull up a few verses I'm sure izzy would find reprehensible (ahem... slavery). Yet he chooses to endorse this particular one and arguably goes against the teachings of his own messiah to do so. As I said, religion is no excuse, this is just him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ChrisUppy wrote:I don't see any murky waters in not wanting outspoken bigots representing the team I support.
Doesn't that make you a bigot?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

ChrisUppy wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:

We won't get into it, but a quick skim of the bible would pull up a few verses I'm sure izzy would find reprehensible (ahem... slavery). Yet he chooses to endorse this particular one and arguably goes against the teachings of his own messiah to do so. As I said, religion is no excuse, this is just him.
He also has plenty of tattoos, which the Bible forbids in Leviticus - the same place it mentions homosexuality.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:

If we are to select players on their political, moral or cultural views, we are in very murky territory. Even over the last 20 years, do you think all of our great players from Ireland or overseas were all exemplary in their behaviour or/ and views?

All we can realistically ask for is compliance with the laws of the land and for people to shut up on their non-sporting views. By the way- that’s even those views we agree with!

Leocaster are a coaching team who are firmly in the "Culture eats strategy for breakfast" camp. They will not be interested in anyone bringing anything that could negatively affect that into the organisation.
Plus, what has gone before has no place in building a progressive environment.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Laighin Break wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:
neiliog93 wrote: Not to get too deep into it, but that's not what he said. He said they would go to Hell, based on the theology of his beliefs, but if they 'repented', they would not. It's a fairly standard conservative Christian belief and is not necessarily hateful to individual people (although obviously often is), it's based on the belief that any sexual act outside of a heterosexual marriage is a sin.
He also has plenty of tattoos, which the Bible forbids in Leviticus - the same place it mentions homosexuality.
I think its just gay tattoos that are forbidden
Last edited by Peg Leg on April 6th, 2018, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Sullivan
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
ChrisUppy wrote:I don't see any murky waters in not wanting outspoken bigots representing the team I support.
Doesn't that make you a bigot?
Jaysis, we're not getting into this carnival merry-go-round stuff are we?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It was a joke :lol: