Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by curates_egg »

sunshiner1 wrote:Noel Reid was being linked with Leicester who recently annouced they have signed Taute. I'd imagine that means Reid will stay with us now. Glad to have him during a World Cup season.
I think Reid has proved himself to be an incredibly important squad member this season, he is playing well, has worked on his weaknesses and his strengths are still strong - he's also played in 4 positions over the past two seasons.
I think he should also talk to some of his now-retired contemporaries before considering a move to Leicester, or other Premiership sides that flog their players.
The only argument is a financial one as far as I can see. I'm not sure how much more Reid could earn there than by staying put, but, at some point in a career, I guess that becomes a more important factor. His injury profile so far is good.

Despite injuries last season, Madigan played 20 games and 1300 minutes. He's on course for something similar this season, despite injuries, and despite the fact they have a pretty promising young back-up (Sheedy).
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Taute is a 13 despite having appeared a handful of times for Munster at 12.

I imagine Reid is being sought as a replacement for Matt Toomua who is off back to Australia and is an inside centre who can cover outhalf i.e. the same abilities and cover as Reid.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ceemec wrote:Taute is a 13 despite having appeared a handful of times for Munster at 12.

I imagine Reid is being sought as a replacement for Matt Toomua who is off back to Australia and is an inside centre who can cover outhalf i.e. the same abilities and cover as Reid.
I'd be fairly reluctant to sign for a club based in the UK right now.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

cormac wrote:
ceemec wrote:Taute is a 13 despite having appeared a handful of times for Munster at 12.

Like Ulster?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

outcast eddie wrote:
cormac wrote:

Like Ulster?
possibly
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote:

Meh. The Common Travel Area (and work) has existed de facto for a long time, and certainly pre-dates EEC membership. That won't change because of Brexit. It is based on bilateral 'understandings'.
It was the main/only reason we have never joined Schengen - which is a pain in the hole itself for people like me.

Brexit could have a whole host of other implications for European rugby, but I don't think it will make a difference for Irish players playing in England (apart from currency exchange). There are other reasons why Irish players should think twice about playing in England of course.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

As things stand, the Common Travel Area comes to an end on the 29th of March - thats 78 days.
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote:As things stand, the Common Travel Area comes to an end on the 29th of March - thats 78 days.
Citation needed there Dave.
Anyone But New Zealand
ciarand
Beginner

Post by ciarand »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal

No change according to the British government. Any change would be massively disruptive, there's a huge amount of people in the Republic of Ireland with British citizenship and vice versa.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

ciarand wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal

No change according to the British government. Any change would be massively disruptive, there's a huge amount of people in the Republic of Ireland with British citizenship and vice versa.
With the Shite they UK Government have come out with over the last few years they can not be counted as a credible source
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

olaf the fat wrote:
ciarand wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rexit-deal

With the Shite they UK Government have come out with over the last few years they can not be counted as a credible source
You could substitute any government or politician in that sentence and you'd be right.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TigsMan
Beginner

Post by TigsMan »

curates_egg wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Noel Reid was being linked with Leicester who recently annouced they have signed Taute. I'd imagine that means Reid will stay with us now. Glad to have him during a World Cup season.
I think Reid has proved himself to be an incredibly important squad member this season, he is playing well, has worked on his weaknesses and his strengths are still strong - he's also played in 4 positions over the past two seasons.
I think he should also talk to some of his now-retired contemporaries before considering a move to Leicester, or other Premiership sides that flog their players.
The only argument is a financial one as far as I can see. I'm not sure how much more Reid could earn there than by staying put, but, at some point in a career, I guess that becomes a more important factor. His injury profile so far is good.

Despite injuries last season, Madigan played 20 games and 1300 minutes. He's on course for something similar this season, despite injuries, and despite the fact they have a pretty promising young back-up (Sheedy).
you take Ryan out of the equation (Which MOC got majorly wrong) and Leicester have done alright by the Irish players.
Ross Bryne played 1560 Minutes and 26 games last season.

Some rugby players do actually want a chance to be a starter so it really isn't hard to believe why a player might consider a move if it meant more money and a bigger role at a club. He's 29 end of season it's most likely getting to the now or never time for him.

Am not saying this will happen but it's not that hard to see why.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

expect a few rumours to start coming out as its been very quiet.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

mildlyinterested wrote:expect a few rumours to start coming out as its been very quiet.
So is this a rumour about some rumours?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

IanD wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:expect a few rumours to start coming out as its been very quiet.
So is this a rumour about some rumours?
:clap:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Brendan Fanning

Noel Reid leaving @leinsterrugby for @LeicesterTigers at the end of the season.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

mildlyinterested wrote:Brendan Fanning

Hopefully like Jenno and Leo he will return and start the revolution that is Leinster 3.0...
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote:Brendan Fanning

Best of luck to him, hope he gets the appropriate send off later in the year. COBs imergance this year really made it inevitable
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Rumours floating around that SOB is off to london Irish next season
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

bluemagic wrote:Rumours floating around that SOB is off to london Irish next season
£450k a year. At his age, with his injury profile, he should jump at it.
Would be sad to lose him in many ways but who would begrudge him it?