Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tingman
Graduate

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by tingman »

simonokeeffe wrote:Not to be a selfish fan but I'd rather see him retire for the sake of his (longterm) health
couldn't agree more - a real stand up guy....
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

the spoofer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Hope it goes well for him, he left nothing behind him with us.
Or anyone. A real warrior and can look back on his career with pride. 20 caps.
Yeah, absolutely. One of our best signings in recent years. He's been brilliant for us, hope it works out for him financially.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:Apparently Jordi is a target for Wasps, according to Rugby Inside Line on twitter. Sam Jones is off to Harlequins.

With Ryan also ( probably ) leaving, that means Leavy doesn't have a huge amount of competition ahead of him.

(Ruddock, O'Brien, JVDF, Leavy, Conan, Heaslip)
Murphy knows if he moves to England he presses pause on playing for Ireland and wont go to RWC, plus I get the feeling he would consider himself ahead of/better than Leavy at the very least and probably JVDF
He'd have significant competition from Haskell and the COACH'S SON for flanker at Wasps, Nathan Hughes would have 8 on lockdown
He might be looking at himself being injured for so long and the rise of Leavy and Van Der Flier, who are on his level now and may surpass him. One of our young back row guys is bound to lose out.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:Apparently Jordi is a target for Wasps, according to Rugby Inside Line on twitter. Sam Jones is off to Harlequins.

With Ryan also ( probably ) leaving, that means Leavy doesn't have a huge amount of competition ahead of him.

Murphy knows if he moves to England he presses pause on playing for Ireland and wont go to RWC, plus I get the feeling he would consider himself ahead of/better than Leavy at the very least and probably JVDF
He'd have significant competition from Haskell and the COACH'S SON for flanker at Wasps, Nathan Hughes would have 8 on lockdown
He might be looking at himself being injured for so long and the rise of Leavy and Van Der Flier, who are on his level now and may surpass him. One of our young back row guys is bound to lose out.
That's kind of my point on Leavy. There are a glut of backrowers and they can't all be accommodated the way they would want to be. That's even before you consider the likes of Timmins and Deegan coming through. I think the most likely to lose out (if that's the way of probably getting a very very good contract elsewhere) are the guys in the middle - Ruddock and Murphy. SOB and Heaslip are nailed on and signed up. Conan, Leavy and VDF are younger and probably after surpasseing the other two already. Murphy given he has been injured will probably feel that he will regain his place in the pecking order. Ruddock arguably would benefit by moving. Something will have to give - very hard tyo see that all of the options will be staisified with the game time and money available
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

It's hard to know really. Of all the senior squad backrows mentioned, is there anyone that's not getting gametime? Sure we have Deegan starting this week and Dom Ryan has started a couple of games (who people assume will probably be gone by the end of the season). Between injury and managing players' time, everyone who's fit seems to get their fair bit.
Murphy has a longterm injury. VdF out now. SOB, Conan and Rhys have both had spells on the sideline.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Laighin Break wrote:It's hard to know really. Of all the senior squad backrows mentioned, is there anyone that's not getting gametime? Sure we have Deegan starting this week and Dom Ryan has started a couple of games (who people assume will probably be gone by the end of the season). Between injury and managing players' time, everyone who's fit seems to get their fair bit.
Murphy has a longterm injury. VdF out now. SOB, Conan and Rhys have both had spells on the sideline.
Think that's a really good point. The reality is that we need two sets of backrowers given the nature of the game and the way we play. There are very few players across the squad who are not getting a significant amount of game time due to injuries, internationals and rotation. As a squad you also want keen competition for positions - so for example if Sean O'Brien is fit and Josh Van Der Flier is fit, O'Brien is absolutely not guaranteed his place.

Even when you look at a guy like Ian Madigan who cited "game time" as a reason for his departure (though the cash probably helped.....) he was getting plenty of game time for Leinster and was playing for Ireland.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:It's hard to know really. Of all the senior squad backrows mentioned, is there anyone that's not getting gametime? Sure we have Deegan starting this week and Dom Ryan has started a couple of games (who people assume will probably be gone by the end of the season). Between injury and managing players' time, everyone who's fit seems to get their fair bit.
Think that's a really good point. The reality is that we need two sets of backrowers given the nature of the game and the way we play. There are very few players across the squad who are not getting a significant amount of game time due to injuries, internationals and rotation. As a squad you also want keen competition for positions - so for example if Sean O'Brien is fit and Josh Van Der Flier is fit, O'Brien is absolutely not guaranteed his place.

Even when you look at a guy like Ian Madigan who cited "game time" as a reason for his departure (though the cash probably helped.....) he was getting plenty of game time for Leinster and was playing for Ireland.
I do think that players still want to be "the guy", and that goes back to the elation/disappointment when the teamsheets went up in school. Jack Conan gets plenty of gametime, but Jamie Heaslip undisputedly "the guy", Leinster's number 8. And I think that's what players want, but maybe I'm talking complete rubbish!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

currently they're all getting game time and the situation is sustainable as long as we have a number of international call-ups and an injury or two thrown in. But when most of them are fit before big European Cup games, there will be some bruised egos when they don't even make the bench. I think Cullen playing Ruddock at second row was a short-lived attempt to get around the problem and address our weakness at lock (doesn't seem to have been successful).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Thatd be a very defeatist attitude for someone to leave their hometowm and only team for
If it was a mild pay increase for Johnny Kiwi to leave Bath for Exeter then yeah

Nucifora would probably like one or two of our backrowers spread out but around Ireland
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

scentofgunpowder wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

I do think that players still want to be "the guy", and that goes back to the elation/disappointment when the teamsheets went up in school. Jack Conan gets plenty of gametime, but Jamie Heaslip undisputedly "the guy", Leinster's number 8. And I think that's what players want, but maybe I'm talking complete rubbish!
Absolutely but there's almost 10 years between the two. Jamie Heaslip is "the guy" until someone else comes along and becomes "the guy", either due to age, or due to being a better player. That could also easily drive someone like Conan - being the guy that takes over from Heaslip (who's merits need no mentioning), or even knocking him off his perch.
Sure look at Tadhg Furlong usurping Mike Ross' starting position. Or Jack McGrath overtaking Cian Healy.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm almost certain Conan will overtake Heaslip before the next world cup, with VDF at 7 and SOB or Leavy at 6 (in a Leinster context obviously).
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Leavy is much more pure No 7 than SO'B. He plays like McCaw annd Pocock and with international exposure would demonstrate just how good he can be. Whether this comes this season or next I am confident this is his level.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

How often does O'Brien play for Leinster anyway? He's not much of a block on young players coming through to be honest. I'd be surprised if Heaslip retires before him, sadly.

I can definitely see one of them going, but would be stunned if it was Leavy.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The radio just said Isa is signing for another year. I love radio
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:The radio just said Isa is signing for another year. I love radio
its yet to have its finest hour

think we can put AAC/Dagg/any big name NIQ back 3 player joining us next season to bed now. I'd say even a project back 3er is probably ruled out too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Well before the season I would have thought a NIQ outhalf was what we needed but weren't allowed. David Nucifora's tough "love" has born fruit in that Byrne has developed brilliantly. Carberry still would have been playing but Byrne wouldn't have got games. We still have a problem in that we'll be missing two to Ireland probably next year and that's before injury.

I guess that Isa notionally covering outhalf when we only had one in the squad was a part of him getting retained.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well before the season I would have thought a NIQ outhalf was what we needed but weren't allowed. David Nucifora's tough "love" has born fruit in that Byrne has developed brilliantly. Carberry still would have been playing but Byrne wouldn't have got games. We still have a problem in that we'll be missing two to Ireland probably next year and that's before injury.

I guess that Isa notionally covering outhalf when we only had one in the squad was a part of him getting retained.
Not necessarily missing 2. 1 will be 3rd choice at best only and competing with Blenyendaal for 3rd choice spot.
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

At best? No at best for him he'll be straight up first choice. Bleyendaal would say the same for himself.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

fourthirtythree wrote:At best? No at best for him he'll be straight up first choice. Bleyendaal would say the same for himself.
Well in real world that means if he was 1 Jonny would have had a major fall and be available should that be case.
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I have no problem with guys coming here, making their lives here and representing Ireland. I constantly defend the naturalisation law in fact.
Bleyendaal is probably the first case that will test my approach in that regard though. We have two out halves coming through who seem to have bags of talent and I would just prefer if they were the focus for the national side - rather than a guy who has come here because it was a good career move. Even if that is also at odds with my other tendency to not want to lose all our best Leinster players to Ireland.
Byrne and Carbery both seem to be pretty exciting prospects. Jackson, who could still develop into a really first class international outhalf (not there yet) is still only 25 and younger than Blyendaal.
If Johnny's body is willing, he will certainly want to play another world cup.
Blyendaal looks like a very talented guy and, at 26, he clearly is a settled player who is using his experience...but it would seem a shame if he leapfrogs these guys.