Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by simonokeeffe »

IRFU lost almost €3 million last year, first defecit for almost a decade, plus looks like 6N sponsorship is taking a dip, me thinks we might be down to 3 NIQs next year and all the provinces will be under pressure to balance their budgets AND get some competition prize money

Might even be more pressure applied to move players between provinces especially as injury cover
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonokeeffe wrote:IRFU lost almost €3 million last year, first defecit for almost a decade, plus looks like 6N sponsorship is taking a dip, me thinks we might be down to 3 NIQs next year and all the provinces will be under pressure to balance their budgets AND get some competition prize money

Might even be more pressure applied to move players between provinces especially as injury cover
The IRFU has been ripping the guts out of the provinces for the last 3-4 years, which has contributed to a downturn in fortunes. It would be incredibly rich if it now tried to make the provinces responsible for digging it out of its debt.
I would like to know how project 'throw money at Munster' is being financed though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:IRFU lost almost €3 million last year, first defecit for almost a decade, plus looks like 6N sponsorship is taking a dip, me thinks we might be down to 3 NIQs next year and all the provinces will be under pressure to balance their budgets AND get some competition prize money

We already have 6 players in Munster (the same as Limerick contribute), 10 at Connacht and 3 up in Ulster. We also have the likes of Madser, Ryan, Macken, Moore et all over the water.
In return we have 1 from Cork and 1 from Limerick.
Haven't we done our bit?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Luckily Munster made a profit......
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Nacewa
Fardy
Strauss
Bent
Cronin
Nagle
Gibson-Park
Lowe
Henshaw

Were not developed in Leinster That's 20% of the Squad. 4.4% in Munster. 2.2% Connacht. 2.2% Australia. 2.2% South Africa. 9% in NZ.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

We also have the same population as Ulster (with crippled sub academy system) and Connacht combined. Or a million more than Munster and Connacht combined.
I'm more than happy for us to be a net exporter. Even in terms of rugby playing population our paramilitary schools system is far far bigger than the others and is largely ahead of what the (underage) clubs can do. We also have far more 3rd level places and jobs in terms of sub academy and u20/senior club players

Munster's academy is catching up, but especially if finances are tight, I'd rather a Josh Murphy or a Doris be sent to Limerick for 4 or 5 months than a Jean Dysel

Reason I raise the furriner players is IRFU pay part of their salaries, so that could be tightened. Not sure on jokers but if finances are tight provinces wont be given leeway with budgets/allowed to overrun.
Especially when you go through the players/squads, Ulster Munster Leinster may well be told to make do with 3 NIQs next season and theres reasonable playing/personnell arguments to back it.

I dare say change in HC to EPCR has made it harder for IRFU to budget for 2 quarter finalists and a semi or whatever it was they were doing
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:Nacewa
Fardy
Strauss
Bent
Cronin
Nagle
Gibson-Park
Lowe
Henshaw

Were not developed in Leinster That's 20% of the Squad. 4.4% in Munster. 2.2% Connacht. 2.2% Australia. 2.2% South Africa. 9% in NZ.
OK, so, What's your point?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote:
johng wrote:Nacewa
Fardy
Strauss
Bent
Cronin
Nagle
Gibson-Park
Lowe
Henshaw

OK, so, What's your point?
I'll leave points to others. Simon made a good one about us having the advantages of population, Finance and a Schools system that's better than the rest (And light years ahead of Connacht) I'd guess that 20% is pretty good. Especially as roughly only half of them would be starters. Anyone want to do the other provinces?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster have 15 *outsiders", Connacht have 30.
Ulster, dunno.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote:Munster have 15 *outsiders", Connacht have 30.
Ulster, 20.
4 Leinster (Not counting Nick Timoney, Greg Jones and Jack Regan in the academy)
4 Kiwis
4 English
1 Aussie

AND

7 Saffers. (Thought there would be more tbh)
Last edited by johng on September 25th, 2017, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ulster, dunno.
Ulster have 21 uitlanders out of a 48 man squad (including Lealiifano and guys on development deals)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ulster, dunno.
Ulster have 21 uitlanders out of a 48 man squad (including Lealiifano and guys on development deals)
What nationality is the 21st one (Based on my breakdown above) I could have missed one
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Anyone heard that Leinster have been told to offload a few players?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote:Anyone heard that Leinster have been told to offload a few players?
FFS. Nucifora and the boys have been telling them that for years. They have stopped short of force.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

paddyor wrote:Anyone heard that Leinster have been told to offload a few players?
With 19 already in the other 3 provinces, I'd say Leinster has obliged.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Ulster, dunno.
Quite a lot of grey area players at Connacht, though. Matt Healy is from Leinster, but he's developed so much at Connacht. It's not as though they just bought in the finished product. Also how do you class players like Marmion and Bealham who aren't from Ireland but played U-20s for Ireland and were brought through by Connacht?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Ulster, dunno.
What nationality is the 21st one (Based on my breakdown above) I could have missed one
my mistake
thought Warwick was exiles too
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

leinsterforever wrote:
Ulster, dunno.
Quite a lot of grey area players at Connacht, though. Matt Healy is from Leinster, but he's developed so much at Connacht. It's not as though they just bought in the finished product. Also how do you class players like Marmion and Bealham who aren't from Ireland but played U-20s for Ireland and were brought through by Connacht?
Based on where they were born.
Cooney up in Ulster for eg.(being born in the UK) would not be on my list as a Leinster exile.
Murphy, Heaslip ditto
The number 30 comes from players born outside Connacht.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote:
Cooney up in Ulster for eg.(being born in the UK) would not be on my list as a Leinster exile.
Murphy, Heaslip ditto
For me it's where they played schools rugby. So I am counting Gonzaga boy John Cooney as one of ours.

Does that mean we can't claim Heaslip and Murphy and ROG isn't Munster to the core? MeBollix.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

blockhead wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
Ulster, dunno.
Murphy, Heaslip ditto
That's a poor way to do it though, isn't it? Heaslip, Murphy, Cooney and Luke McGrath are all clearly Leinster players. Same with O'Gara and Munster