Should Leinster play some home games outside Dublin?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Jose we know that we haven't been marketing ourselves well and that we can do better and we're addressing that. The move to the RDS, kids days, supporters clubs etc. Everybody knows the issue and we're addressing it, nobody is satisfied with where we are.
And its working, our crowds are on the rise - who'd have thought just 2 or 3 years ago that we'd be taking 4/5000 to an away game!
I think Leinster needs stability - Friday night or even Saturday afternoon games - the establishment of a game time ritual. Oh, and it'd help if we didn't lose our coach every bloody year.... :cry:

On the bandwagon jumpers - yep, we'll take them too - clearly the 50.000 who showed up for the Tigers game contained a good load of them, same as the 50.000 who showed up for the Wasps game. If only 1000-2000 come back, that'll still be progress!

Snamh, the affluence thread is a pish take of ourselves. I doubt anyone on this board lives on Wellington Road.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

JoseFantastique wrote:Duff Paddy, are you just annoyed cause no-one's suggested playing games in Bray yet?

In the last 6 years of serious professionalism in this country, being solely based in Dublin hasn't broadened Leinster's appeal so why do you dismiss this idea out of hand?
What an odd post Joey.

I hope you're trolling here.

If Snamh da Ean really believes that little piece of fantasy then God bless him.

You guys should worry about your own province and we'll worry about ours.
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

Do you not agree with Snamh that the so-called Ross O'Carroll-Kelly stereotype is damaging to Leinster when they market themselves? By showing that Leinster were willing to play games in other towns they'd go along way to dispelling that tired old joke.
Snamh Da Ean
Learner

Post by Snamh Da Ean »

Duff Paddy wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:Duff Paddy, are you just annoyed cause no-one's suggested playing games in Bray yet?

In the last 6 years of serious professionalism in this country, being solely based in Dublin hasn't broadened Leinster's appeal so why do you dismiss this idea out of hand?
What an odd post Joey.

If Snamh da Ean really believes that little piece of fantasy then God bless him.

Do you have a better explanation for why many Leinster people who are not from traditional rugby backgrounds support Munster?
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

JoseFantastique wrote:Do you not agree with Snamh that the so-called Ross O'Carroll-Kelly stereotype is damaging to Leinster when they market themselves? By showing that Leinster were willing to play games in other towns they'd go along way to dispelling that tired old joke.
The only people who buy the ROCK stereotype are you Munster lads, who are (by an amazing coincidence) looking for a stick to beat us with. We are who we are. If you don't like us, then that's your problem - I certainly won't lose any sleep about it. The only southside clique at Leinster is the one that exists solely in your imagination.

This year, Leinster played a few pre-season games around the province. They were largely successful. But there's no compelling argument for moving league games around the province - it would just inconvenience most people. Donnybrook is well served by public transport and has plenty of parking, good pubs, B&Bs, hotels etc.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Snamh Da Ean wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

What an odd post Joey.

Do you have a better explanation for why many Leinster people who are not from traditional rugby backgrounds support Munster?
Firstly, I think you're confusing people who live in Leinster with people who are from Leinster. A large proportion of Munster rugby people, the guys from the fee-paying schools who make up the majority of your support, tend to move to Dublin or London in their 20's for their careers. Also, there's a lot of second generation Cork and Limerick families in Dublin.

Secondly, many Leinster supporters would also support Munster. The inverse is certainly not true, your lot tend to be more parochial - club before country is something I hear a lot from munsterfans - whereas most Leinster rugby heads would support all the provinces, with the national team as number 1 in their hearts.
Snamh Da Ean
Learner

Post by Snamh Da Ean »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Snamh Da Ean wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: What an odd post Joey.

Firstly, I think you're confusing people who live in Leinster with people who are from Leinster. A large proportion of Munster rugby people, the guys from the fee-paying schools who make up the majority of your support, tend to move to Dublin or London in their 20's for their careers. Also, there's a lot of second generation Cork and Limerick families in Dublin.

Secondly, many Leinster supporters would also support Munster. The inverse is certainly not true, your lot tend to be more parochial - club before country is something I hear a lot from munsterfans - whereas most Leinster rugby heads would support all the provinces, with the national team as number 1 in their hearts.
All fair enough I suppose (many Limerick rugby supporters aren't from fee paying schools though), but I was specifically referring to Leinster people who aren't from Dublin or from traditional rugby backgrounds who still shout for Munster. I am not saying their perception is accurate or justified, but I think the perception certainly exists, even within Leinster, that rugby in Leinster is a closed shop for people from a golden circle of schools in Dublin (and Kildare). I don't know how this might be overcome, since the schools play the highest standard of rugby in the province, so they give Leinster most of their players and many of their supporters. Incidentally, I don't think playing outside Dublin would aid in this, or in any other aim to promote Leinster. I think there might be a good case for any A games to be played in places like Dundalk or Kilkenny (Athlone is resolutely Connacht in rugby terms), but I think the full team is better off sticking in Baile Ath Cliath.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

There's the guts of 2 million people living in Leinster. People question why Leinster can't get big crowds for the less glamerous CL games. It's got nothing to do with the fact that they are played at the Brook. There are a probably a number of factors. Firstly, the kick off times are all wrong (not the branches fault I know). Secondly, the advertising of the individual games could be better - and I'm including the website in that, cause people are immediately put off by the login splash page if they're trying to look up a kick off time. Thirdly, the star players are often not available and people don't want to see a B team.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Duff Paddy wrote:There's the guts of 2 million people living in Leinster. People question why Leinster can't get big crowds for the less glamerous CL games. It's got nothing to do with the fact that they are played at the Brook. There are a probably a number of factors. Firstly, the kick off times are all wrong (not the branches fault I know). Secondly, the advertising of the individual games could be better - and I'm including the website in that, cause people are immediately put off by the login splash page if they're trying to look up a kick off time. Thirdly, the star players are often not available and people don't want to see a B team.
Duff the Brook is a major problem, there are no decent seats to speak of, no parking, if it rains your f%~ked, Weasley and Bective are both sh!t holes crowds dont go near them after the match.

Where has the big screen gone?
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
JoseFantastique
Mullet

I don't buy the stereotype Duff, sure being from Munster I couldn't afford it and being from Limerick I'd probably find it easier to nick it. However, the stereotype is definately perceived to exist.

For a few years now Munster have played the big CL games in Cork, despite the fact the games would sell out in Limerick, the MB recognises the importance it tapping into both markets, also Cork is more accessible to South Kerry, Waterford based fans. Obviously Dublin, itself has a greater population than Cork or Limerick combined but it's still foolish to ignore another million outside Dublin.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

I think that there are lots of things that the branch "could" do to increase the gates

- Provide free coaches for schools and youth clubs, if they are bringing more than "x" kids. obviously they would need to be properly supervised :)
- Provide free coaches for clubs outside dublin, again if they are bringing more than "x" members / people. in this case, the coaches could leave the brook an hour after the game, thus "forcing" the punters to have a beer there afterwards and hopefully come back not just for the rugby, but also for the social side / green drinks, etc.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Have people considered the fact that the vast majority of the 2m people in Dublin/Leinster actually aren't in the slightest bit interested in rugby?

North Dublin is a GAA bastion and people are more likely to head to Parnell Park in the winter than head to Donnybrook. Outside Dublin, GAA is very much the majority sport and people will go watch/play with the local club at the weekend.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Leinsterman wrote:Have people considered the fact that the vast majority of the 2m people in Dublin/Leinster actually aren't in the slightest bit interested in rugby?
No, I hadn't thought about that. Lets just forget about trying to expand the support base, as it's so obviously pointless. We should also dispense with all marketing and save ourselves some more money. Why hasn't anybody thought of this before. :?:

If we keep up with money saving on this scale, we'll soon be able to replace the pitch every summer :wink:
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Leinsterman wrote:Have people considered the fact that the vast majority of the 2m people in Dublin/Leinster actually aren't in the slightest bit interested in rugby?

North Dublin is a GAA bastion and people are more likely to head to Parnell Park in the winter than head to Donnybrook. Outside Dublin, GAA is very much the majority sport and people will go watch/play with the local club at the weekend.
North Dublin also has a big soccer following so those that follow rugby are confined to a few pockets north of the Liffey and not alot of them would go to the matches.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
JoseFantastique
Mullet

It's possible to be a fan of more than one sport.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

And why cant we convert them to our Winter sport that includes top class international and European matches played by prefessionals, something no other sport can or will ever offer
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

JoseFantastique wrote:

It's possible to be a fan of more than one sport.
True but it's not always possible to go to every match of every sport you're a fan of.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

T.C.B. wrote:True but it's not always possible to go to every match of every sport you're a fan of.
I seem to recall Longford GAA changing the kick-off dates / times of club games to ensure that their games didn't clash with the towns FAI cup final game a few years ago.

In rugby, we have little or no control or the kick off times in the CL and as a result club games often clash with provincial games, etc. There needs to be more control and cooperation in this respect if the CL is to be successful.
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

limecat wrote:
T.C.B. wrote:True but it's not always possible to go to every match of every sport you're a fan of.
I seem to recall Longford GAA changing the kick-off dates / times of club games to ensure that their games didn't clash with the towns FAI cup final game a few years ago.

In rugby, we have little or no control or the kick off times in the CL and as a result club games often clash with provincial games, etc. There needs to be more control and cooperation in this respect if the CL is to be successful.
Absolutely. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would like to be able to go from the match of one team (be it GAA/soccer/etc) they follow to a rugby match in DB but are forced to choose because the times clash.
I do think the Sunday evening matches are a bit of a joke. As someone previously mentioned most people use their Sundays for relaxing or catching up on household chores, spending time with their families at home etc. so if they schedule matches for then people are far more likely to stay in and watch them on the tv. This deprives the branches of the revenue they need. Perhaps if they scheduled them for Fridays and Saturdays only, the attendance at matches would increase, thereby raising the profile of the CL. The knock-on effect of that would be a permanent sponsor.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

epaddy wrote:

And why cant we convert them to our Winter sport that includes top class international and European matches played by prefessionals, something no other sport can or will ever offer
Well I'll drag a diehard GAA fan along to Donnybrook if you go to Croke Park for a GAA game this summer. How about that? :D