Congratulations Clermont!

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Congratulations Clermont!

Post by [Jackass] »

I think perhaps a thread of its own may be required to display our affections towards our Clermont friends and also some humility in defeat.

Of all my years as a Leinster fan, I've met fans from all over Europe and beyond, but none have been quite to the same level as Clermont fans. Absolutely humble in victory, gracious in defeat, they are what being a true rugby fan is all about. I wasn't there to witness it, but the treatment of Leinster fans in Bordeaux for the semi-final is already a legendary part of Leinster folklore.

It's never easy seeing your team lose, but I can say in all honesty, if any team was going to end our unbeaten run in Europe and potentially have ended our Heineken Cup run, well if it had to happen, I'm glad it happened to Clermont.

A great team massively deserving of success, we got away with murder in the RDS a few years ago and got a massive bit of luck in Bordeaux, and we've crossed paths with them so many times that only one of us could go all the way, and we've enjoyed the better of most of those exchanges up until this season, so I don't begrudge Clermont their victory and I wish their team every success going forward as they deserve it.

Regarding their fans, I love them. :lol: Just great people and I think there is a very very special relationship between Leinster and Clermont fans and I hope it's a mutual friendship that will last long into the future. As much as I like them though, I hope I don't see them for a long time after this season, as I think we'd both like a break from running in to each other at this stage!! :twisted:

We aren't completely out the door yet, but we're in a very very tricky position now, and if we don't progress, I really hope to see Clermont fans back in Dublin in May for the final and I really really hope they win the cup now, an achievement that their fans and team both deserve.

Allez Les Jaunards and well done on a massively impressive double over Leinster!! We'll be back - but for now, go an win the damn thing!! :happy clapper: :clap: :happy clapper:
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
VGE
Graduate

Re: Congratulations Clermont!

Post by VGE »

Great post!

But can we really expect to have the Monopole du coeur?

Au revoir.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PjBgWO ... ata_player
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

No shame being beaten by a team of the calibre of Clermont. They were superb yesterday.
I doubt Leinster will squeak out of the group. I've got a ticket to the final, and I truly hope I'll be cheering Clermont to victory.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

No complaints on your victory - the better team won.

Congratulations to a great club and great fans.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Well deserved and overdue victory.

I still hope there is an Irish team for me to support in the Final. If not I will be shouting for Clermont.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

A fantastic performance from Les Jaunards and a deserved win :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm not convinced we're finished for this season's competition just yet.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Cianostays wrote:A fantastic performance from Les Jaunards and a deserved win :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm not convinced we're finished for this season's competition just yet.
I agree with you - Believe in Blue
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

Yes, a fantastic group of supporters. But the Leinster fans were very generous in defeat. After the match I engaged in the tradition of exchanging hats, scarves and flags. The Clermont fans couldn't get enough Leinster gear and I ended up leaving the stadium wearing a Clerment scarf and a yellow beret. I lost count of the number of Leinster fans who wanted to shake my hand. Eventually I stopped trying to explain thet I was a leinster fan and answered with a simple "merci" :o
Vil & Preux

Post by Vil & Preux »

AidanSloan wrote:Yes, a fantastic group of supporters. But the Leinster fans were very generous in defeat. After the match I engaged in the tradition of exchanging hats, scarves and flags. The Clermont fans couldn't get enough Leinster gear and I ended up leaving the stadium wearing a Clerment scarf and a yellow beret. I lost count of the number of Leinster fans who wanted to shake my hand. Eventually I stopped trying to explain thet I was a leinster fan and answered with a simple "merci" :o
Adishatz AidanSloan

Congratulation for your "intelligence situationnelle". Did you shake VGE 's hand ? Sometimes he's a little bit confused after the game...
Leave you, my cat is hungry

Friendly yours
Pierre V.
From Pompadour to the sky. Intelligence situationnelle inside.
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

EDIT: lack of intelligence situationnelle inside.

Au revoir.
Last edited by VGE on December 16th, 2012, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(...) je souhaite que la Providence veille sur la France, pour son bonheur, pour son bien et pour sa grandeur. Au revoir !
VGE
Graduate

Post by VGE »

VGE wrote:
Vil & Preux wrote:
AidanSloan wrote:Yes, a fantastic group of supporters. But the Leinster fans were very generous in defeat. After the match I engaged in the tradition of exchanging hats, scarves and flags. The Clermont fans couldn't get enough Leinster gear and I ended up leaving the stadium wearing a Clerment scarf and a yellow beret. I lost count of the number of Leinster fans who wanted to shake my hand. Eventually I stopped trying to explain thet I was a leinster fan and answered with a simple "merci" :o
Adishatz AidanSloan

Congratulation for your "intelligence situationnelle". Did you shake VGE 's hand ? Sometimes he's a little bit confused after the game...
Leave you, my cat is hungry

Friendly yours
Pierre V.
Hi Pierre.

What about Mum?

Did she enjoyed the game?

Au revoir.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I have to say the Clermont fans reaffirmed my belief they are the best in the world. The corner of the stadium was rocking with them, constantly jumping and cheering.

I know it's a drum well beaten, but we really could take a leaf from them. Our support was embarrassing on Saturday.
RnR
Knowledgeable

Post by RnR »

Yes, congratulations Clermont.

While I understand the rational for LR taking the game from the RDS to Lansdowne.......more people get to see Leinster play, far greater attendance therefore revenue for LR and IRFU, sell far more beer and food therefore more revenue for IRFU ......there is a significant downside.
The atmosphere from a LR perspective yesterday was dreadful.

I'm not blaming anyone, its just an observation. The match was lost on the pitch, not of it. The magnificent travelling support although far outnumbered by home side fans made a shed load more noise. It might be argued they'd more to shout about but there were mere occasional roars of support for the home team. Some persons, not all, where I sat seemed more interested in the forthcoming racing meets in Fairyhouse and Leopardstown! Certainly, Clermont did their bit on the pitch to silence the home support.
I was in Bordeaux for the SF last season and the then 'home' support made a major contribution before, during and right to the last second, as indeed did the then wonderful travelling Leinster supporters. I'm told last week in Clermont was much the same. Its worth mentioning that Clermont didn't move the pool game to a bigger stadium, the demand for tickets was certainly there to be met. Perhaps they wanted to retain the intensity created by 15,000 odd home supporters?

Theres to many feckin prawn sandwich types in Lansdowne!!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Moi aussi!

Well said Jackass, Deco and Johng..........
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

Clermont deserve this - no question. We have been given a job to do. If we do it from here the three in row will be awesome. I have the amlin tickets in the back phoca and the willingness to support any Irish province (and indeed clermont) to ensure that my finanicial investment in the rest of the tournament should have a return. Lets kick this off with a win in Ravenhill and take it on from there.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RnR wrote:Yes, congratulations Clermont.

While I understand the rational for LR taking the game from the RDS to Lansdowne.......more people get to see Leinster play, far greater attendance therefore revenue for LR and IRFU, sell far more beer and food therefore more revenue for IRFU ......there is a significant downside.
The atmosphere from a LR perspective yesterday was dreadful.

I'm not blaming anyone, its just an observation. The match was lost on the pitch, not of it. The magnificent travelling support although far outnumbered by home side fans made a shed load more noise. It might be argued they'd more to shout about but there were mere occasional roars of support for the home team. Some persons, not all, where I sat seemed more interested in the forthcoming racing meets in Fairyhouse and Leopardstown! Certainly, Clermont did their bit on the pitch to silence the home support.
I was in Bordeaux for the SF last season and the then 'home' support made a major contribution before, during and right to the last second, as indeed did the then wonderful travelling Leinster supporters. I'm told last week in Clermont was much the same. Its worth mentioning that Clermont didn't move the pool game to a bigger stadium, the demand for tickets was certainly there to be met. Perhaps they wanted to retain the intensity created by 15,000 odd home supporters?

Theres to many feckin prawn sandwich types in Lansdowne!!
Tickets were on sale on the day of the game in Clermont so there would have been little benefit to moving the fixture. Our support has not been that vocal either at the RDS or LR this year in my opinion. Certainly, what I experienced at ASM last week was Ian mother stratosphere in terms of noise!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Good game by ASM and deserving winners, well done.
Fans great, a model for others to follow, but can't be having with the Rougerie head patting, or that little fekr Parra & the attack on Cullen last yr. Poxy shite altogether.
Had a great night with the fans after, usually do though..... Not to sure I'm with the fawning over any team that beat us though.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Peg Leg wrote:but can't be having with the Rougerie head patting, or that little fekr Parra & the attack on Cullen last yr. Poxy shite altogether.
Fair enough, provided you are consistent in your complaints. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkON812iZA
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

suisse wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:but can't be having with the Rougerie head patting, or that little fekr Parra & the attack on Cullen last yr. Poxy shite altogether.
Fair enough, provided you are consistent in your complaints. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkON812iZA
Not sure what that's in reference to Suisse, none of the afore-mentioned shite is enjoyable to watch. We know how to complain about it here and we tend to do a lot, not sure why it's any different when it's Clermont we're playing.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Peg Leg wrote:
suisse wrote:
Not sure what that's in reference to Suisse, none of the afore-mentioned shite is enjoyable to watch. We know how to complain about it here and we tend to do a lot, not sure why it's any different when it's Clermont we're playing.
I'm just pointing out that Jennings has in the past head patted people - like he did to ROG there - and Heaslip often leaves an arm or leg in when someone is in the act of scoring. I'm not calling you hypocritical, I'm just saying Leinster players also behave in a way many don't find acceptable. Nothing to do with Clermont whatsoever.