Is it all over ?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

rookie
Graduate

Re: Is it all over ?

Post by rookie »

Is what over? Leinster's brief period of success in European Rugby?
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Just looking forward to Toulon in April, weather should be decent.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

rookie wrote:Is what over? Leinster's brief period of success in European Rugby?
Don't know what counts as brief for you. I seem to recall semi finals a loooooong time ago.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I wouldn't be too despondent.
In very simplistic (This means I know we've other problems) terms, our scrum has undone us is in the last two games.
So it's a readily identifiable problem, rather than some mysterious ailment, that has beset the team.
Fixing it may or may not be easier said than done, but I'd be interested in hearing the "experts" views on our scrummaging problems.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Well being a Clermont fan now, that was easy enough viewing in the end.

Your scrum is an obvious weakness, and not many teams could carry the injuries you guys are suffering from. Leinster always had power on the bench, and the ability to make a meaningful impact late in the game. Your injuries have deprived you of that.

Ulster on the other hand (my new second team) are looking like the real deal. Another signing or two and they could be a real consistent force in Europe.
ken
Beginner

Post by ken »

So to put this in context , it would be no suprise to see Clermont -Ulster in Lansdowne for the HC final in May . That aside , our game plan was derelict last night in Ravenhill. We have the leaders and the range of talent in the backs to redeem that part of the game but the pack is looking distraught.

Leo definitely looks like one season too many , can never question his commitment but he looks drained. Jenno delivers every game but he cant play them all .
A certain Mr J Heaslip is missing in action in more games recently, he really needs to switch back on , especially if he fancies himself in lions jersey next summer.

We all remember how Rocky was such a catalyst , storming at 6 and laying the foundation for O'Brien and Heaslip to follow. Unfortunately I just dont see anyone in the current pack who has that talent to inspire these guys to switch it on.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

No. The scrum is a problem. Gave up a peno try (and probably a 2nd if the tmo hadn't awarded the try, as well as a bining) and lots of penos. The lineout has stabilized and we bet them at the breakdown.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Actually the scrum is probably what concerns me the least. That can be fixed.

Our toothlessness in attack worries me much more. We look as though we're constantly out of ideas. Only on very rare occasion did I think we looked capable of scoring a try in any of our last three matches.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

No. The Mayans were wrong.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Talk about an over-reaction... Is what all over? Every team in professional sport has ups and downs. It's pretty inevitable.

The only thing that concerns me really is that the next generation hasn't seemed to step up yet. I have high hopes that a couple of genuine stars will emerge, but all the talent hasn't delivered anyone that has stepped up as much as Marshall, Henderson or Gilroy have, for example. That's frustrating.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

fourthirtythree wrote:No. The Mayans were wrong.
In all the doom and gloom this made me really laugh, well done mate :lol:

I think there's a real over-reaction here. Leinster are a class act, on and off the pitch in every way. One loss in the league away to undoubtedly the form side in Europe and you think your season is over? Get a grip. I'd still put a bet on you finishing 2nd in the league behind us and making the Heineken Cup quarter-finals. You have far too many top quality players and coaches to not be in a final come May, although I think the Rabo will be that final. So calm down! Leinster will definitely be in contention for a trophy in May.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

Gerry Thornley opener (Irish Times: 21/1/2013):

At the time it appeared a desultory flash-in-the-pan/a final, futile act of defiance/a mock heroic act of rage against what seemed to be the dying light of Leinster's golden era. But now, in the aftermath of their duo of pulsating 5 pointers, Fergus McFadden's last minute, bonus point-earning, try against Clermont will go down in Leinster folklore as pivotal escapological catalyst to rival Johnny Sexton's fabled halftime pep talk during the 2011 Heineken Cup final.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Icarus wrote:Gerry Thornley opener (Irish Times: 21/1/2013):

At the time it appeared a desultory flash-in-the-pan/a final, futile act of defiance/a mock heroic act of rage against what seemed to be the dying light of Leinster's golden era. But now, in the aftermath of their duo of pulsating 5 pointers, Fergus McFadden's last minute, bonus point-earning, try against Clermont will go down in Leinster folklore as pivotal escapological catalyst to rival Johnny Sexton's fabled halftime pep talk during the 2011 Heineken Cup final.
Meaning Gerry thinks we're gone and he can now afford to be generous (magnanimous)to us in our misery.
Fortunately, for us, the only thing Gerry has been getting right lately are his Irish team announcements (eh I meant to say predictions).
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Oldschool wrote:
Icarus wrote:Gerry Thornley opener (Irish Times: 21/1/2013):

Meaning Gerry thinks we're gone and he can now afford to be generous (magnanimous)to us in our misery.
Fortunately, for us, the only thing Gerry has been getting right lately are his Irish team announcements (eh I meant to say predictions).
Eh..OS, maybe you should look at the date on "the article" before posting about what "Gerry" thinks..... :wink:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

UlsterMan wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:No. The Mayans were wrong.
In all the doom and gloom this made me really laugh, well done mate :lol:

I think there's a real over-reaction here. Leinster are a class act, on and off the pitch in every way. One loss in the league away to undoubtedly the form side in Europe and you think your season is over? Get a grip. I'd still put a bet on you finishing 2nd in the league behind us and making the Heineken Cup quarter-finals. You have far too many top quality players and coaches to not be in a final come May, although I think the Rabo will be that final. So calm down! Leinster will definitely be in contention for a trophy in May.
:( :( :(

Ah by gum, I remember the days of yonder when it was Leinster fans consoling Ulster fans after a defeat......thems were the days!

:wink:
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

sid wrote:Actually the scrum is probably what concerns me the least. That can be fixed.

Our toothlessness in attack worries me much more. We look as though we're constantly out of ideas. Only on very rare occasion did I think we looked capable of scoring a try in any of our last three matches.
We were missing 3 starters from our front five that won the heino last year. 2 will return and Roux may (may not) be the other answer. The scrum will be fixed plus Moore and Furlong look like future stars, Moore may even be the answer now.

We are struggling to line break but last night we were missing 4 starters from our back line from the heino final (plus Luke). Replacements aren't good enough yet (may never be). Mads was mainly good, Macken v mixed (ran into Darce on a switch and cut when Darce passed), Conway was the best I've seen this season but got no space, Reid was gamey and Goodman is not a 15. EOM and D Kearney would help as well as R Kearney, BOD, Luke and of course Sexy!

Clermont and Ulster have figured this out and our only solution was to go Multi phase and speed up the game. Both Clermont and Ulster killed the ball (mostly illegally and fair play to them!). I counted 8 penalties last night for break down offences before Ulster were given a yellow (something similar against Clermont). Are Connacht or Edinburgh good enough to do this?

Team needs our support now.
The Overseer
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Boys and girls it's time to ask ourselves are we supporters or just fans?

Easy to be a "fan" of something successful when it's all going well.

But to be a supporter, you turn up and support no matter what, even if things aren't going great.

You don't turn up "to be entertained" or "for a fun day out" you turn up because you bloody well NEED to. You turn up cause you want to see the players from your province play and succeed and you'd be sick if you missed it. You turn up because that's what real fans do, they turn up!!

If we hit a bad patch and the cups dry up for a while, it will hurt like hell but the real supporters will still be there every second week, they might moan and bitch afterwards but they'll be there...

The fans though will move on to something else that flickers brightly and catches their fickle attention. Leave them go.....

Decide who you want to be!!

A "fan" of team (as long as it's winning) or a true supporter, there through the thick and the thin?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:Boys and girls it's time to ask ourselves are we supporters or just fans?

But to be a supporter, you turn up and support no matter what, even if things aren't going great.

You don't turn up "to be entertained" or "for a fun day out" you turn up because you bloody well NEED to. You turn up cause you want to see the players from your province play and succeed and you'd be sick if you missed it. You turn up because that's what real fans do, they turn up!!

If we hit a bad patch and the cups dry up for a while, it will hurt like hell but the real supporters will still be there every second week, they might moan and bitch afterwards but they'll be there...

The fans though will move on to something else that flickers brightly and catches their fickle attention. Leave them go.....

A "fan" of team (as long as it's winning) or a true supporter, there through the thick and the thin?
That sounds like me explaining to the kids why it's important to be proud enough to wear your team's jersey/sweatshirt the day after they lose - anyone can wear one after they win but true supporters support their team no matter what.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Boys and girls it's time to ask ourselves are we supporters or just fans?

That sounds like me explaining to the kids why it's important to be proud enough to wear your team's jersey/sweatshirt the day after they lose - anyone can wear one after they win but true supporters support their team no matter what.
The gospel, from the book of Donny

Preach on my brother. Testify :wink:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

:( I just can't decide who I want to support now. I would support Clermont but they are cheese eating surrender monkeys, and the travel would be difficult.

Perhaps Ulster? But they are black hearted protestant ba$tards and unsure if they are Irish or not.

Travel would be handier though....... Yeah. Ulster.