Start Madigan v wasps

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Start Madigan v wasps

Post by CiaranIrl »

curates_egg wrote: (a) Nobody on this thread is saying Sexton should bench every game, so drop the straw men. It is a thread about starting Madigan vs Wasps...and giving him time with the first backline. He will not improve from continually playing with cobbled-together backlines against bit-part teams in the Pro12.
Plenty of people are saying it. You even "+1'd" a post that said it.

Is "drop the straw men your favourite phrase? You've used it a couple of times, and it comes across as pretty unnecessarily patronising, frankly.
Proudleinsterman wrote:Frankly, would have Sexton warming the bench for the remainder of the season. He has put his bank balance first...
Justtoby wrote:While I'm not happy that Sexton is leaving, I'm excited about seeing Madigan develop. Leinster have about 10 games this season to
bring him and his backup (Noel Reid, Cathal Marsh or Andrew Goodman) fully up to speed. The should take this opportunity. I'd start Madigan from here
on out and wish Sexton well for the future.
sid wrote:Madigan should start. "Doing what's best for Leinster" is not the same as "doing what's best for Leinster this season".
[Jackass] wrote:100% would start Madigan for the rest of the season with Johnny mentoring him in from the bench. It's better to give him the
experience and exposure now and have a couple of heard days at the office (if that even occurs) with the fall back option, than to wait until there is no
fall back option and then see how he gets on.
Raydollard wrote:This is a no brainer. Madigan must start. He looks like becoming a brilliant player and can look forward in the future to a massive
contract in France. We should sign him to a 5/6 year contract if we can.
curates_egg wrote:
Proudleinsterman wrote:Frankly, would have Sexton warming the bench for the remainder of the season. He has put his bank
balance first, Leinster should now put Leinster first and that would mean giving Madigan as much game time as possible.
Plus one
curates_egg wrote: (b) Your logical extension is not logical Jim. Elsom was brought in for a year to help us win the Heineken Cup. Thanks Rocky. We are out of the Heineken Cup and are travelling to London to play a mediocre Wasps team in the Amlin. Give Madigan a start alongside D'Arcy and BOD and see what he can do.
I have absolutely no problem giving Madigan the start against Wasps away. I think its crazy to drop Sexton to the bench for everything in both tournaments, which is what plenty of people were saying.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

CiaranIrl wrote:
sid wrote:Madigan should start. "Doing what's best for Leinster" is not the same as "doing what's best for Leinster this season".
And you assume I was talking about every game for the rest of the season because...?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

sid wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
And you assume I was talking about every game for the rest of the season because...?
Something above about agreeing entirely with Proudleinsterman. Fair enough if not.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leinster is a professional outfit last time I looked. There are two trophies still up for grabs. Doing well in both of them could mean an extra 3 maybe 4 full houses at the RDS. That would have a significantly positive impact on Leinsters balance sheet. I expect Leinster to act like a professional organisation and try and win both trophies. That means picking the players most likely to achieve that outcome.
I pick Johnny.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Thank you jonny and good luck, end of. now onto Leinster, and whats best, jonny has decided he will not be part of Leinster future, thats also the end of. Play Madigan, in all remaining games and lets see if we have the 10 we need for the start of next h Cup. I think we do and can pick up silverware. Jonny is gone.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

As a pro outfit Leinster need to think about success in the now and the future. Madigan is a very good player, playing him does not mean dropping success, but not playing him means not setting him and Leinster up for success next year. That would be unprofessional. It would also send a signal to the young players and Leinster structures that you may not get your opportunity with Leinster, that would be a disaster and damaging to Leinster pro structures. Play jonny, sure but he has decided that he is no longer interested in being Leinster first choice, that was decided weeks ago. Leinster need to keep now and the future on target.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with El Madrigal ending the season as our first choice 10. Gives him the confidence of knowing he's definitely the first choice next season and, ya know, he's pretty damn handy. We have a good opportunity to usher him in from now on.

This Rabo league is looking more and more useless by the week. 5 of the teams are complete rubbish, the TV gig is ridiculous and there are poor crowds in most grounds. Rugby is in serious trouble here ina few years.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bluemagic wrote:With the news that Johnny's gone to France next season I think it's time Madigan was promoted to first choice out half. I'm not being bitter about Johnny leaving he was my favorite player, it's hard to turn down a financial offer of that size. But with Johnny going and us out of the Heineken cup we should be giving Madigan as much time as possible as 10 with the first team to prepare for next season. Good luck to him in France, he decided it was best for him, now leinster should decide what's best for them and not leave it untill next season throw madser in at outhalf
There is a possibility that Sexton might return to Leinster after his stint in France.
Leinster should therefore be careful not to alienate him in any way by sending the wrong signals to him.
We also need to hedge our bets. If we got to a final would we not want our best available selection on the pitch?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Seen as Johnny wanted to stay theres every chance him and wife especially dont settle in Paris and he comes back after a year if not sooner so no point shunning him. Plus Madigan should have to work for his place same as anyone else
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I think their is a logic in Madigan starting the majority of matches this season especially in the Amlin - if (and I think it is a big if) Madigan is not up to it we can move for a front line 10 in the summer. I would prefer this than find out next season he is not up to it and we are scrambling around for a 10 mid season.

This has nothing against Johnny personally or professionally it is to maintain the standards at Leinster.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

IanD wrote:I think their is a logic in Madigan starting the majority of matches this season especially in the Amlin - if (and I think it is a big if) Madigan is not up to it we can move for a front line 10 in the summer. I would prefer this than find out next season he is not up to it and we are scrambling around for a 10 mid season.

This has nothing against Johnny personally or professionally it is to maintain the standards at Leinster.
We have to sign a 10 or 10/12 regardless, so playing Madigan every game to figure out if he is up to it isn't needed. Nacewa might be gone next year, and isn't a 10 any more regardless of what anyone says. Goodman is a center that has played 10 a handful of times at a low level. Noel Reid isn't up to it - yet anyway. It is an unescapable fact that we need a proper back up out half. If Madigan broke his leg at the start of the season, what would we do? We would basically be ruled out of every competition. It's far too critical as a position.

We should obviously continue to give Madigan plenty of game time, but some of the people saying that Sexton should be dropped just sound petty (not you). We sign people on 1 year deals all the time. Lets play our best team in our biggest games.
nick31
Beginner

Post by nick31 »

CiaranIrl wrote:
IanD wrote:I think their is a logic in Madigan starting the majority of matches this season especially in the Amlin - if (and I think it is a big if) Madigan is not up to it we can move for a front line 10 in the summer. I would prefer this than find out next season he is not up to it and we are scrambling around for a 10 mid season.

We have to sign a 10 or 10/12 regardless, so playing Madigan every game to figure out if he is up to it isn't needed. Nacewa might be gone next year, and isn't a 10 any more regardless of what anyone says. Goodman is a center that has played 10 a handful of times at a low level. Noel Reid isn't up to it - yet anyway. It is an unescapable fact that we need a proper back up out half. If Madigan broke his leg at the start of the season, what would we do? We would basically be ruled out of every competition. It's far too critical as a position.

We should obviously continue to give Madigan plenty of game time, but some of the people saying that Sexton should be dropped just sound petty (not you). We sign people on 1 year deals all the time. Lets play our best team in our biggest games.
I don't think the question is do we sign another ten or not (as you pointed out, we'll have to) but wether we'll sign a back-up for Mads or a potential starter. The only way that decision can really be made is to give Mads as much time as possible with our first XV to see how he handles it. Pre-season is not really the time you want to find out your 10 is not up to scratch as the squad for the coming season is usually decided upon by that stage. It is the coming months that the management will be looking at who they want to bring in next season. I would also add that I think Ian and the team are more than capable of beating any team we could potentially face this season without Johnny. That's not to say that we should totally disregard JS. I have nothing but respect for what he has done in Leinster and hope to see him back. I understand completely why he accepted the offer and wish him the best. But frankly this has nothing to do with JS, this is about what is best for Leinster and I think playing mads, where possible, is the best long term plan. Sit JS down and explain the reasons for the decision and knowing how much the guy loves Leinster, I'm sure he'll respect it, if not like it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Play Jonny 10 at 12. Genius. It's what kidder would do and he's a cute hoor. Brains trust (tm).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:Play Jonny 10 at 12. Genius. It's what kidder would do and he's a cute hoor. Brains trust (tm).
Kind of like making a virtue out of adversity.
D'Arcy as usual does the right thing at the right time for his team mates. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

nick31 wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:

I don't think the question is do we sign another ten or not (as you pointed out, we'll have to) but wether we'll sign a back-up for Mads or a potential starter. The only way that decision can really be made is to give Mads as much time as possible with our first XV to see how he handles it. Pre-season is not really the time you want to find out your 10 is not up to scratch as the squad for the coming season is usually decided upon by that stage. It is the coming months that the management will be looking at who they want to bring in next season. I would also add that I think Ian and the team are more than capable of beating any team we could potentially face this season without Johnny. That's not to say that we should totally disregard JS. I have nothing but respect for what he has done in Leinster and hope to see him back. I understand completely why he accepted the offer and wish him the best. But frankly this has nothing to do with JS, this is about what is best for Leinster and I think playing mads, where possible, is the best long term plan. Sit JS down and explain the reasons for the decision and knowing how much the guy loves Leinster, I'm sure he'll respect it, if not like it.
What I meant to get across.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simonokeeffe wrote:Seen as Johnny wanted to stay theres every chance him and wife especially dont settle in Paris and he comes back after a year if not sooner so no point shunning him. Plus Madigan should have to work for his place same as anyone else
Paris is an hour away. Irish people have for centuries moved across the world to some of the most remote destinations and settled perfectly. Only footballers seem to have difficulty leaving Ireland or GB
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Well, in the end, he didn't do too bad did he? Sexto out, Mads is the new Doctor Phil. All the gripes about Madigan are about things that are very fixable. His potential is stratospheric.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

blockhead wrote:Well, in the end, he didn't do too bad did he? Sexto out, Mads is the new Doctor Phil. All the gripes about Madigan are about things that are very fixable. His potential is stratospheric.
Who is this Sexto of which you speak?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Well, in the end, he didn't do too bad did he? Sexto out, Mads is the new Doctor Phil. All the gripes about Madigan are about things that are very fixable. His potential is stratospheric.
Mads is better than Dr Phil.
Eristic
Knowledgeable

Post by Eristic »

Oldschool wrote:
Mads is better than Dr Phil.
No, no he isn't. Give him time and he could be though.
Noel Reid and James Rodriguez were separated at birth.