Start Madigan v wasps

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Raydollard
Graduate

Re: Start Madigan v wasps

Post by Raydollard »

Footnote: Madigan started that Wasps game and was brilliant. Then along came O'Connor....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

INDO
"The conversation I had with Joe (Schmidt), he made it clear to me that he wants me to stay in Ireland and ultimately it's where we want Irish players playing," Madigan said.

"The IRFU have access to you, they can manage you, you're not overplayed, the fantastic medical facilities we have here . . . if you want to have mini-camps or if there's games outside the international window, they've got full control over that.

"That's very important, and if I was starting for Leinster, there's no way I'd move.

"I didn't want to move, but you've got to play the hand you're dealt and ultimately I felt that moving was the right option to improve so I can be as good as I can be if I get the opportunity to play for Ireland.

"I feel if I stay where I am at the moment that I don't deserve to be representing Ireland.

"If I am not starting for my club then there are other guys who are going to be starting in the other Irish provinces that given time and experience, they are going to pass me out."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

And a bit more.
The out-half had been linked with a move to Munster as the IRFU looked to keep their players in Ireland but Madigan revealed that his discussions with Bordeaux were too far advanced before the possibility of joining another province came up.

"The option that presented itself in Bordeaux was one that came up early on and one that I was committed to from an early stage," Madigan said. "The other options in Ireland never really got to a stage where they were viable for me because I was so far down the line with Bordeaux.

"It's definitely something that I would have thought of but it never really came to fruition."

Madigan's starts at his preferred out-half position have been limited by the return of Johnny Sexton this season, and although he admitted that it would have been tough to leave Leinster for another province, he would have considered it had it been an option at an earlier stage.

"Munster are going through a small slump at the moment but to play for a club like that, with the history they have, would be incredible," he said.

"But would I be able to do it? I've grown up in Leinster, all my family support Leinster, all my friends support Leinster; it would be really tough. The parishonal sense that you have in playing for Leinster or playing for Munster is a pretty special thing in Ireland.

"While it's important that some players are going to have to move to get game-time, it's something that we want to protect. Similarly, when you see the quality brand of rugby that Connacht are playing I'd say to myself, 'Jesus, it'd be brilliant to be part of that side'."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

The best thing about that is what he says about Munster. I love it that we have players who are just as tribally attached to Leinster as the fans. You never know if you might lose that with pro players. While I understood that some of our guys went there because they felt their careers were stalling, they were dead to me once there ;)

Would like to have seen how he would have fitted in at Connacht under Pat Lam: both the style and the coach could have brought him back to the initial level of promise he showed. There is simply no way any Irish side could pay a similar sum to what he is allegedly going to get at Bordeaux though.

Working with Ntamack and Beauxis will given him a different perspective if nothing else...and they look likely to make it to Europe. I'll be in the region in September and I will definitely try and see a few games. I think with Sexton, it was certain we would do everything to get him back and that he wanted to come back ASAP. With Madigan, it will all depend on circumstance in 2 years.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:and they look likely to make it to Europe.
The Challenge Cup yes, the Champions Cup is looking less likely. They're in a three way scrap with Castres and Toulouse but they have a pretty nasty fixture coming up with games against teams who need points at the top and the bottom
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

He'll come home a kicking scrum half. [WHITE SMILING FACE]
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
curates_egg wrote:and they look likely to make it to Europe.
The Challenge Cup yes, the Champions Cup is looking less likely. They're in a three way scrap with Castres and Toulouse but they have a pretty nasty fixture coming up with games against teams who need points at the top and the bottom
Their home games are potential 5 pointers. They will need to win an away game alright and Grenoble is the only really winnable one.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Peg Leg wrote:He'll come home a kicking scrum half. [WHITE SMILING FACE]
We live in hope.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:
Their home games are potential 5 pointers. They will need to win an away game alright and Grenoble is the only really winnable one.
I don't see them picking up 5 points at home in either match, their defense just isn't good enough - I think they'll beat Brive and lose to SF
I have Bumbleflex