Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

waterboy
Graduate

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by waterboy »

I don't understand the fascination of needing a roof over the north and south stands. Nice if can be done at low cost but given they are temporary seats I cant see how it'd be done at a cost that'd make it worth their while. I spent two years on the South stand before moving to the terrace, and I think I only got rained on once and that was at the Ireland v Fiji match. It's actually very rare that it's raining during a match. Don't have the stats to back that up but I'd be surprised if it was more than twice a season and even then it' s even more unlikely to be an absolute downpour.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

waterboy wrote:I don't understand the fascination of needing a roof over the north and south stands. Nice if can be done at low cost but given they are temporary seats I cant see how it'd be done at a cost that'd make it worth their while. I spent two years on the South stand before moving to the terrace, and I think I only got rained on once and that was at the Ireland v Fiji match. It's actually very rare that it's raining during a match. Don't have the stats to back that up but I'd be surprised if it was more than twice a season and even then it' s even more unlikely to be an absolute downpour.
Well waterboy, you would say that wouldn't ye.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

waterboy wrote:I don't understand the fascination of needing a roof over the north and south stands. Nice if can be done at low cost but given they are temporary seats I cant see how it'd be done at a cost that'd make it worth their while. I spent two years on the South stand before moving to the terrace, and I think I only got rained on once and that was at the Ireland v Fiji match. It's actually very rare that it's raining during a match. Don't have the stats to back that up but I'd be surprised if it was more than twice a season and even then it' s even more unlikely to be an absolute downpour.
The weather station in Ringsend (the nearest to the RDS) records the lowest rainfall of anywhere in Ireland. In 8 years of going to the north stand I don't think I could think of more than a few times that it rained.

Good christ, did it rain on those occasions though. Stands were half empty by the end. Think the Edinburgh game in 2009 HEC was one that sticks out in particular.

BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

I can remember getting drowned on the North stand for a Munster match too. Cant remember the year but conditions were horrendous. We won by slotting more kicks then them IIRC....
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

It hasn't been too bad this year, but for the previous couple getting pissed on was a regular enough occurrence at matches.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

sid wrote:It hasn't been too bad this year, but for the previous couple getting pissed on was a regular enough occurrence at matches.
It's more the freezing cold this year that's the problem - maybe they could install heaters! :D
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

A roof on the North and South ends may even help with the atmosphere. Was there much difference in the Grandstand after the roof went on?
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Sit in the South Stand and whilst downpours are rare at matches, Embra 09 we got an absolute soaking, head to toe. However it would be nice to be seated under a roof, not just for the rain but for the slight bit of heat,comfort it would afford the punters not to mention the atmosphere.
If we got a roof on the South i'd be willing to fork out for a family season ticket but not with the present state of affairs. The kids wouldn't tolerate the rain and freezing cold for long.

Leinsters loss.
3 Gold Stars
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: Leinsters loss.

Dunno, the sell out the STH's every year fairly easily so there's not much they need to balance there really.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

AdamK wrote:

Dunno, the sell out the STH's every year fairly easily so there's not much they need to balance there really.
Short term, you are probably right but over the longer term they need families on board for obvious reasons.
The ST sales will IMHO stagnate or even start to drop(possibly starting with 2013-2014 season). From talking to other chaps around me in the South Stand they share the same opinion as myself on the kids and similar issues.

I know 4 lads who didn't renew last year and won't be renewing in the forseeable future. Faces i'd know from years back are also missing from games. I could be wrong but we may be in for a lull.
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

AdamK wrote:

3 HCs in 4 years will do that for you. Come back to me after a few years of no trophies..... Yes of course I hope it will never happen, but these things go in cycles.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Could something like this be braced at 2/3 points and removed for the Ho-Show?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Flythrough video of proposed redevelopment has been posted

http://www.coybib.com/rds-redevelopment ... ugh-video/
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Still no terrace, still no hedge.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

West Brit wrote:Still no terrace, still no hedge.
I think you are keeping the hedge as a bargaining chip to save the terrace. :wink:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

To echo earlier comments, if you have concerns about the lack of a terrace take advantage of the "Ask the CEO" opportunity before Monday 18th.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9400.php#.UUMZLhw72Ag

Myself and some fellow bronze season ticket holders have sent in a query, but the more the merrier.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

johng wrote:
West Brit wrote:Still no terrace, still no hedge.
I think you are keeping the hedge as a bargaining chip to save the terrace. :wink:
If they lose the terrace I'm going to sneak in at night and plant a fecken hedge, guerilla gardening style!
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Nowhere for the D4TRESS and other OLSC banners...
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Are they really so shortsighted that they can't see that it'll lose half the singing and atmosphere by getting rid of the terraces... It looks great. But it looks like Llannellis place. Couple of years from now it could be half empty and dead quiet. Don't do it!!
The Bird is the Word
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Would love to know when these plans/fly through video were prepared...