Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Lar » January 25th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Edna Kenny wrote:It looks like the re-development won't happen until after next season, the last message was that the same season ticket arrangements would be in place for 2017-2018. I think they're working on getting permission for a roof on the north and south stands which would allow them to re-locate all season ticket holders whilst the new stand is built. Not sure how long the build will last but I expect it will be at least a year.


Thanks. So do we have the full permission now? And its only us getting permission for a a roof for us softies in the Anglesea at either end that is now delaying the development. So earliest is that we will have this done will be for the start of 2018/2019 - about 20 months time. Not too bad if we can achieve that.

How many in the current Anglesea? I think seat Nos are relatively low there but there are of course a couple of terraces. What capacity will we go to when the RDS is being re-developed? 14,000? It might be enough for a few games. But would be allowed an extra few games in the Aviva for bigger matches? Maybe all EPRC games and Ulster and Connacht in the Pro12?
User avatar
Lar
Mullet
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Ibane » January 25th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Why spend money renting the RDS when the Aviva's just over the road?
Aviva has about twice the capacity of Thomond Park.
Dublin has over ten times the population of Limerick.
The aviva if anything should too small for Leinster
Where's the flaw in the logic?
Ibane
Beginner
 
Posts: 27
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 11:54 am

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Oldschool » January 25th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Ibane wrote:Why spend money renting the RDS when the Aviva's just over the road?
Aviva has about twice the capacity of Thomond Park.
Dublin has over ten times the population of Limerick.
The aviva if anything should too small for Leinster
Where's the flaw in the logic?

I reckon you can figure that one out for yourself.
Let us know how long it takes you.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10092
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 26th, 2017, 12:18 am

Lar wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:It looks like the re-development won't happen until after next season, the last message was that the same season ticket arrangements would be in place for 2017-2018. I think they're working on getting permission for a roof on the north and south stands which would allow them to re-locate all season ticket holders whilst the new stand is built. Not sure how long the build will last but I expect it will be at least a year.


Thanks. So do we have the full permission now? And its only us getting permission for a a roof for us softies in the Anglesea at either end that is now delaying the development. So earliest is that we will have this done will be for the start of 2018/2019 - about 20 months time. Not too bad if we can achieve that.

How many in the current Anglesea? I think seat Nos are relatively low there but there are of course a couple of terraces. What capacity will we go to when the RDS is being re-developed? 14,000? It might be enough for a few games. But would be allowed an extra few games in the Aviva for bigger matches? Maybe all EPRC games and Ulster and Connacht in the Pro12?


Need to lose the "we". Be very clear this is the RDS Development Project and Leinster are tenants. Few organisations in Ireland have 230 years experience of dealing with Dublin property. Leinster Rugby is not one of them.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Ultra Vires » January 26th, 2017, 12:39 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Lar wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:It looks like the re-development won't happen until after next season, the last message was that the same season ticket arrangements would be in place for 2017-2018. I think they're working on getting permission for a roof on the north and south stands which would allow them to re-locate all season ticket holders whilst the new stand is built. Not sure how long the build will last but I expect it will be at least a year.


Thanks. So do we have the full permission now? And its only us getting permission for a a roof for us softies in the Anglesea at either end that is now delaying the development. So earliest is that we will have this done will be for the start of 2018/2019 - about 20 months time. Not too bad if we can achieve that.

How many in the current Anglesea? I think seat Nos are relatively low there but there are of course a couple of terraces. What capacity will we go to when the RDS is being re-developed? 14,000? It might be enough for a few games. But would be allowed an extra few games in the Aviva for bigger matches? Maybe all EPRC games and Ulster and Connacht in the Pro12?


Need to lose the "we". Be very clear this is the RDS Development Project and Leinster are tenants. Few organisations in Ireland have 230 years experience of dealing with Dublin property. Leinster Rugby is not one of them.


It may be their project but Leinster have become their bread and butter, a nice steady and predictable long term income. Gold dust for any landlord. There is no other comparable tenant that could step into the vacuum if Leinster left. This redevelopment has got Leinster's fingerprints all over it.

And sorry to be pedantic but no organisation has 230 years of experience in Dublin property. An organisation can only ever be as experienced as its living and breathing members. And in case you hadn't noticed the Dublin property market is a slightly different beast to what it was in the 1700's.
The Bird is the Word
User avatar
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 404
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby johng » January 26th, 2017, 12:45 am

Yes. There was a MASSIVE house price crash at the end of the 1700s. (Act of union) Prices took 3/4 of a century to recover to previous levels.

Huge tracts of inner Dublin changed from fashionable family dwellings to tenements. Families moved out to the sticks in Rathmines and Rathgar etc.
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16713
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Ultra Vires » January 26th, 2017, 9:50 am

Apparently it's going to be renamed the Laya Healthcare Arena. Quite possibly the worst stadium renaming I've ever heard. Definitely won't strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. Even "The Aviva" sounds way better than it...
The Bird is the Word
User avatar
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 404
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Peg Leg » January 26th, 2017, 10:11 am

PLaya stadium
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8070
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Dave Cahill » January 26th, 2017, 10:47 am

If you're relying on the name of a stadium to strike fear into the hearts of the opposition its time to take up dungeons and dragons
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20625
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby jimbobjoe » January 26th, 2017, 10:51 am

Ultra Vires wrote:Apparently it's going to be renamed the Laya Healthcare Arena. Quite possibly the worst stadium renaming I've ever heard. Definitely won't strike fear into the hearts of the opposition. Even "The Aviva" sounds way better than it...


You've obviously never heard of SportsDirect.com@StJamesPark.
I'll die before I surrender, Tim.
User avatar
jimbobjoe
Enlightened
 
Posts: 894
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby blockhead » January 26th, 2017, 11:04 am

What about the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville, Kuntz Stadium in Indianapolis or Wankdorf Stadium in Berne?

It could be a lot worse.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3953
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Grumpy Old Man » January 26th, 2017, 11:11 am

A mix between Lola and Layla - two of the best songs ever.
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 6521
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Flash Gordon » January 26th, 2017, 11:29 am

johng wrote:Yes. There was a MASSIVE house price crash at the end of the 1700s. (Act of union) Prices took 3/4 of a century to recover to previous levels.

Huge tracts of inner Dublin changed from fashionable family dwellings to tenements. Families moved out to the sticks in Rathmines and Rathgar etc.


You should know, you were there.

There is always outrage over stadium naming and it always disappears. If it pays for a Henshaw, Isa, Rocky or Felipe I'll take it. Anyway, I can hardly imagine that the Royal Dublin Society strikes fear into opposition teams.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
User avatar
Flash Gordon
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9722
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Location: Up the orse of the tag bunny

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby BlueBlue » January 26th, 2017, 11:31 am

Laya Healthcare are putting up a reported 8 to 11m. I'm happy.

At the height of the celtic tiger Munster abandoned their plan of earning money by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. Currently they still owe 9m on Thomond and lost money last year. Over a long repayment plan, up to 2027 its thought that they will not be able to meet payment obligations. If they had taken 5m, 6m they would have next to nothing to pay off.

I'd rather take the money and welcome and beat the opposition in TeleTubby RDS Arena if it means we have the money to stay competitive, keep our players, develop player pathway structures, infrastructure and provide a great match experience for existing fans, expand fan base and offer premium packages. Its about the money, money.

Seeing as it wont be the Teletubby park, and I wont have to wear a Stade jersey to games I think I can watch Leinster win in Laya Healthcare Arena.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
User avatar
BlueBlue
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2968
Joined: June 16th, 2006, 11:27 am
Location: deepest Leinster

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby fourthirtythree » January 26th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Who cares what the marketing people call it? It's money for nothing.

And yes I still call Lansdowne Road Lansdowne Road like every normal person who isn't forced to say something else because they're on telly.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8581
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby johng » January 26th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Me too but we are in a minority. 90% + of people call it the Aviva. No big deal either way. Like pubs in Dublin. People still call them what they were called in the 60s or whatever despite name changes.

(Or in my case what they were in the 1700s)
User avatar
johng
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16713
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Flash Gordon » January 26th, 2017, 12:32 pm

BlueBlue wrote:Laya Healthcare are putting up a reported 8 to 11m. I'm happy.

At the height of the celtic tiger Munster abandoned their plan of earning money by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. Currently they still owe 9m on Thomond and lost money last year. Over a long repayment plan, up to 2027 its thought that they will not be able to meet payment obligations. If they had taken 5m, 6m they would have next to nothing to pay off.

I'd rather take the money and welcome and beat the opposition in TeleTubby RDS Arena if it means we have the money to stay competitive, keep our players, develop player pathway structures, infrastructure and provide a great match experience for existing fans, expand fan base and offer premium packages. Its about the money, money.

Seeing as it wont be the Teletubby park, and I wont have to wear a Stade jersey to games I think I can watch Leinster win in Laya Healthcare Arena.


That was the IRFU indulging the Munster Branch and supporters preciousness. I remember the outrage from supporters that there was even a question of sullying the hallowed stadium! The branch have been financially incompetent for quite some time now with a Celtic Tiger mortgage based upon the belief that good times would last forever and the IRFU has been way too tolerant in my opinion. Unfortunately now, nobody is prepared to put up the cash. Hopefully, given that their on field performance is better and crowds are up again, they will be able to remarket the property - just not at the value it had in 2007!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
User avatar
Flash Gordon
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9722
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Location: Up the orse of the tag bunny

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Edna Kenny » January 26th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I thought KFC were getting the naming rights!
Edna Kenny
Graduate
 
Posts: 561
Joined: May 18th, 2007, 9:54 am

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Grumpy Old Man » January 26th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Flash Gordon wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Laya Healthcare are putting up a reported 8 to 11m. I'm happy.

At the height of the celtic tiger Munster abandoned their plan of earning money by selling the naming rights to Thomond Park. Currently they still owe 9m on Thomond and lost money last year. Over a long repayment plan, up to 2027 its thought that they will not be able to meet payment obligations. If they had taken 5m, 6m they would have next to nothing to pay off.

I'd rather take the money and welcome and beat the opposition in TeleTubby RDS Arena if it means we have the money to stay competitive, keep our players, develop player pathway structures, infrastructure and provide a great match experience for existing fans, expand fan base and offer premium packages. Its about the money, money.

Seeing as it wont be the Teletubby park, and I wont have to wear a Stade jersey to games I think I can watch Leinster win in Laya Healthcare Arena.


That was the IRFU indulging the Munster Branch and supporters preciousness. I remember the outrage from supporters that there was even a question of sullying the hallowed stadium! The branch have been financially incompetent for quite some time now with a Celtic Tiger mortgage based upon the belief that good times would last forever and the IRFU has been way too tolerant in my opinion. Unfortunately now, nobody is prepared to put up the cash. Hopefully, given that their on field performance is better and crowds are up again, they will be able to remarket the property - just not at the value it had in 2007!


Yeah, but how long do these contracts last for. I thought it was generally for 10 years only. Wouldn't they be going again around now anyway?
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 6521
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Postby Logorrhea » January 26th, 2017, 12:58 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:And yes I still call Lansdowne Road like every normal person who isn't forced to say something else because they're on telly.

I call it the Aviva cause its just a name ................. and I don't really give a shite what the pile of cement is called once I have a ticket.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3866
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot] and 1 guest