Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by Peg Leg »

I think its safe to say that the extent of government funding will depend on the 2023 decision in November
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Peg Leg wrote:I think its safe to say that the extent of government funding will depend on the 2023 decision in November
Bid director was quoted in the papers this week as saying there's 8 stadiums in the bid now.

I don't think RDS will be making the cut if that's the case and they won't see any funding.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Regardless of the rds being included, the gov. Has promised "unprecedented support" and any gesture towards rugby will be seen as such.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

If that's true, there are 5 GAA grounds in the bid that would require substantial upgrading (McHale Park, Celtic Park, Nowlan, Pearse and Fitzgerald) and that is the most unfeasible part of our bid. It would be down to the redevelopment of one of those to be the 8th stadium, but with legacy in mind etc., there's no way the IRFU wouldn't have the RDS included, and if it's a case of major redevelopment to grounds, RDS would get the nod ahead of any of the GAA grounds.

The below 7 are lock ins:

Croke Park
Aviva Stadium
Pairc ui Caoimhe
Casement Park*
Thomond
Ravenhill
RDS*

*Of that list, all are fully complete modern grounds, with the exception of Casement which has 100% funding secured and is waiting on planning permission and the RDS which has partial funding secured and planning permission in place.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dublin is where most of the flights to, attractions, roads to, action, population base, hinterland etc are so having one of the boutique stadiums in Dublin makes a lot of sense. Perfect for games with a medium amount people flying in and out for eg South Africa or Italy playing anyone except NZ, Scotland playing minnows on a Tuesday, that kinda thing
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Sneak Peak - RDS Redevelopment Plans

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I'm of the opinion you're looking at

- Croker
- Aviva
- Ravenhill
- Thomond
- Pairc Ui Choimh
- Casement
- Fitzgerald (NZRU CEO, said this stadium was beautiful, politics and gestures go a long way. That and the views from the ground are spectacular.
- Pearse (need a Connacht stadium surely if they're going on the one island bid)

More info on my Fitzgerald theory here NZ Rugby World Cup organiser urges Irish bid to make full use Killarney and other tourist hotspots
http://the42.ie/1452422

Makes a lot of sense and this guy oversaw 2011.

Oh yeah. That and this article from the telegraph has bid director quoted as saying
5 of the 8 stadiums are GAA owned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... ivals/amp/

If the RDS was picked it means that either Thomond or Ravenhill were not. Which is just bananas.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Casement is looking like a clusterfudge and or they mightnt be able to rely on it BUT for politics there might have to be 2 Ulster stadia

that would mean RDS v Fitzgerald hmmmmmmm
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I'd love to see smaller games brought to the likes of McHale Park and Fitzgerald Stadium.

Dublin will have two stadia, it would be great to bring the "show" to other areas. Hotels wouldn't be an issue with either of those as there are loads of hotels within 45 minutes of Castlebar and Killarney is used to catering for big tourist crowds.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote:I'd love to see smaller games brought to the likes of McHale Park and Fitzgerald Stadium.

Dublin will have two stadia, it would be great to bring the "show" to other areas. Hotels wouldn't be an issue with either of those as there are loads of hotels within 45 minutes of Castlebar and Killarney is used to catering for big tourist crowds.
I agree. And the government can hopefully give Leinster a dig out to make up for the RDS not being invited to the RWC ball and/or as part of an FG get out vote drive in D4.....
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2091457/gove ... s-grounds/
THE government is ready to pump €50 million into a new stadium building project which will revitalise some of the country’s oldest grounds.

Among the targeted stadia are Bohemian FC’s Dalymount Park, Meath GAA’s Pairc Tailteann and Leinster Rugby’s RDS.

Of the three main projects, only the RDS, which has already been granted planning permission for a €26 million revamp by Dublin City Council, has received planning permission to date.

The Anglesea Stand’s transformation into a three-level, 21.3 metre tall structure when combined with other improvements will increase capacity from 18,500 to 21,000.

However the RDS, which is ready to begin work on the redevelopment, is still awaiting a decision on government funding.

A spokesman said: “The RDS is continuing to speak to Government about part-financing the redevelopment and enabling work to commence.”
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Interesting that the capacity seems to be always revised down. I'm not against that though, I think 21,000 is about right, definitely don't want it too big or we could end up with Ospreys syndrome for half our league matches.

So it seems they have the JCBs idling in the car park and they're just waiting for a Government cheque to clear. Luckily we have our best man on the job, Shane Ross, I'm sure he's noticed the requirement for improved facilities at all the games he's attended. There couldn't be a person less interested in sport being the minister for sport. Ironically, a large chunk of his constituents would be anything from casual to season ticket holding Leinster fans, so he's even unaware enough to notice the opportunity for political point scoring.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

COYBIB wrote:Interesting that the capacity seems to be always revised down. I'm not against that though, I think 21,000 is about right, definitely don't want it too big or we could end up with Thomond Park syndrome for half our league matches.

So it seems they have the JCBs idling in the car park and they're just waiting for a Government cheque to clear. Luckily we have our best man on the job, Shane Ross, I'm sure he's noticed the requirement for improved facilities at all the games he's attended. There couldn't be a person less interested in sport being the minister for sport. Ironically, a large chunk of his constituents would be anything from casual to season ticket holding Leinster fans, so he's even unaware enough to notice the opportunity for political point scoring.
Fixed
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I never understood the sniggering at Munster attendances here. There are 1.9 million people in Dublin City, county and greater Dublin area (Meath, Like are and Wicklow) but we haven't had a sold out game this season at the RDS. Even the Aviva figures look dubious. Marquee Christmas games against Connacht and Ulster also fell short of the 18,500 capacity.

The renovation of the RDS is still needed. Most stadia of various codes in Ireland are old, run down and not remotely modern. I really think our stadia in general are quite lacking. Facilities are average and building a roof the whole way round is very rare. Some famous parks are not entirely complete due to eternal factors
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

suisse wrote:I never understood the sniggering at Munster attendances here. There are 1.9 million people in Dublin City, county and greater Dublin area (Meath, Like are and Wicklow) but we haven't had a sold out game this season at the RDS. Even the Aviva figures look dubious. Marquee Christmas games against Connacht and Ulster also fell short of the 18,500 capacity.

The renovation of the RDS is still needed. Most stadia of various codes in Ireland are old, run down and not remotely modern. I really think our stadia in general are quite lacking. Facilities are average and building a roof the whole way round is very rare. Some famous parks are not entirely complete due to eternal factors
More terrace space would sell more tickets

There is definitely an argument based on population.

Dublin playing the same day will be our First Communions :)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

suisse wrote:I never understood the sniggering at Munster attendances here. There are 1.9 million people in Dublin City, county and greater Dublin area (Meath, Like are and Wicklow) but we haven't had a sold out game this season at the RDS. Even the Aviva figures look dubious. Marquee Christmas games against Connacht and Ulster also fell short of the 18,500 capacity.
Absolutely, it's the big elephant in the room alright.
Our attendances are very poor besides the big Aviva occasion games. Leinster haven't done a good job getting people who go to these matches to come to the RDS.

There's no reason our attendances should be lower than Munster's. Albeit a bit of extra comfort will certainly help.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

wixfjord wrote:
Absolutely, it's the big elephant in the room alright.
Our attendances are very poor besides the big Aviva occasion games. Leinster haven't done a good job getting people who go to these matches to come to the RDS.

There's no reason our attendances should be lower than Munster's. Albeit a bit of extra comfort will certainly help.
Yep +1 to both
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

suisse wrote:I never understood the sniggering at Munster attendances here.
I wouldn't have thought it was all that difficult. If you claim to be the brave and faithful by the grace of God best fans in the world and you build a white elephant as a tribute to this belief, then when you have to get banners made to cover entirely empty terraces, you're going to get laughed at.

Leinster's entire off-field operation has been second rate for a couple of years alright, but thats a different thing to pointing out southern hubris. We never claimed to be anything we aren't.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I wouldn't have thought it was all that difficult. If you claim to be the brave and faithful by the grace of God best fans in the world and you build a white elephant as a tribute to this belief, and then refuse to sell the naming rights because the name is so important, then when you have to get banners made to cover entirely empty terraces, you're going to get laughed at.

Leinster's entire off-field operation has been second rate for a couple of years alright, but thats a different thing to pointing out southern hubris. We never claimed to be anything we aren't.
Fixed.

Actually Suisse, the Connacht game was definitely a sell out. I ended up in "Block F" of the Anglesea stand (there's no block F) after I bought from a tout.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Dave Cahill wrote:
I wouldn't have thought it was all that difficult. If you claim to be the brave and faithful by the grace of God best fans in the world and you build a white elephant as a tribute to this belief, then when you have to get banners made to cover entirely empty terraces, you're going to get laughed at.

Correct Dave,

They ARE the best fans in the world... sure don’t they say so themselves ( and echoed by the National Media)

Rugby in Dublin ( and certainly in Leinster ) is a poor third , in terms of participation sport , after soccer and GAA... even though ( apart from the latter stages of the GAA campaigns ) our numbers attending at the RDS / Aviva are by and large higher than the other sports
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Correct Dave,

They ARE the best fans in the world... sure don’t they say so themselves ( and echoed by the National Media)

Rugby in Dublin ( and certainly in Leinster ) is a poor third , in terms of participation sport , after soccer and GAA... even though ( apart from the latter stages of the GAA campaigns ) our numbers attending at the RDS / Aviva are by and large higher than the other sports