'Beach' games need to be reduced

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

ribs wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Safety issues I guess.....

Also, if they work around the clock, it's going to cost more money - overtime etc and also there must be certain restrictions on "construction work" taking place during the night.
You are probably right about the overnight bit. Only reason I could think of would be the trucks needed, but they could store them on the backpitch for a few days either side.
Disagree on the money part. 2 people working one day each is the same as 1 person for 2 days. What should happen is to put 200 people working to remove them and it could be done. Instead what happens is a handful of people work on undoing the bolts, picking up the seats, carrying them to the truck, strolling back, have a chat, one person undoes the bolts as the rest look on (only one spanner between them) etc. etc. Trust me I saw this in operation when Croke Park was being demolished every day for 3 weeks. Took all of 3 weeks to clear one section! Sorry get p**hed off at people accepting this sort of situation
If a game finished at 9.30, could be finished by 3am. I worked as a roady a few years back. It was normal enough to dismantle a stage, lights, sounds, speakers the works straight after the gig. Load up 10 artic trucks, and they'd be on the road by 3 / 4 am. 2 days?, never mind a week, thats not even an excuse, thats just laziness.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

harryp wrote:Not trying to start a major row, but I think the best option is probably Parnell Park
Rule 42 (Amended) states only Croker can be used to host games due to be played in Lansdowne for 6 Nations and 2008 Qualifiers.

Other GAA grounds are out of the question I'm afraid :cry:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The only grounds that might be available in the County to us are Dalymount Park, Tolka Park and the Morton Stadium. No GAA grounds are available, its as simple as that
I have Bumbleflex
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Nothing wrong with using Tolka or Dalyer. We've been letting the soccerheads use Lansdowne for 20 years now, why shouldn't we get the loan of one of their smaller grounds for a couple of seasons?

They're both fairly central, well-served by public transport and (more importantly) pubs, and they could, just the off chance here, get some previously non-rugby people to come down to the games.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Greystones, UCD and Clontarf RFCs are all (small) venue options.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:Greystones, UCD and Clontarf RFCs are all (small) venue options.
Belfield Bowl or Clontarf are interesting options - Belvo and Stradbrook might also be possibilities....UCD from and access point of view - main bus route, plenty of parking looks very good.

There'd surely be an opportunity to errect temp stands there and the location is close to home.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Greystones, UCD and Clontarf RFCs are all (small) venue options.
Belfield Bowl or Clontarf are interesting options - Belvo and Stradbrook might also be possibilities....UCD from and access point of view - main bus route, plenty of parking looks very good.

There'd surely be an opportunity to errect temp stands there and the location is close to home.
Definitely worth looking at. Any idea what its current capacity is?

Only problem could again be the pitch. Used for Soccer & Rugby, must be a lot of ganes played there each year.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Flash Gordon wrote:

None of those are suitable venues, they are all too small to even register on World Stadiums! Nothin less than 10,000 should be countenanced
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

harryp wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Definitely worth looking at. Any idea what its current capacity is?

Only problem could again be the pitch. Used for Soccer & Rugby, must be a lot of ganes played there each year.
Belfield bowl isn't used for soccer. I used to play soccer for UCD and the pitch was outstanding - best surface in the League of Ireland - but I don't think there's much space there for temp. stands. The bowl is a natural dip surrounded by grass mounds.

Played on the pitch previously and it was pretty good....but that was a few years ago.... :wink:
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Dave Cahill wrote:The only grounds that might be available in the County to us are Dalymount Park, Tolka Park and the Morton Stadium. No GAA grounds are available, its as simple as that
Morton would require some work done to the terraces .. There's no safety barriers installed on them.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Colm wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The only grounds that might be available in the County to us are Dalymount Park, Tolka Park and the Morton Stadium. No GAA grounds are available, its as simple as that
Morton would require some work done to the terraces .. There's no safety barriers installed on them.
Did they not have barriers in place when Rovers played there?
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

None of those are suitable venues, they are all too small to even register on World Stadiums! Nothin less than 10,000 should be countenanced
With temporary seating, i think you could create a 10K stadium - if you do it on an AIL club ground you don't have the 300K rent that we paid to the RDS. Might be a goer - if its all seater, you raise your revenue potential too.....though I'd prefer to stand...
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

There's the problems though of getting insurance, etc. to play at venues such as those which usually only attract small crowds. As well as this a lot of those grounds don't have the infrastructure needed to cater for a large volume of people.
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Dave Cahill wrote:Did they not have barriers in place when Rovers played there?
Nope ... Rovers don't have that much fans so it wasn't a safety issue.

The terrace alongside the Start/Finish line has barriers, but the terraces at either end of the goals don't have.

Can I also state, I am NOT a ROVERS fan!
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Morton wouldn't be a good option, and I can see it out my front window.

It's not central enough, and the stand is too far back from the grass. Not enough decent pubs nearby, and the capacity for temporary seating is debatable there too. If we're going to use a stadium from a different sport, Tolka or Dalymount offer better facilities with no need for additional seating, in a more central location which is better served by public transport and hospitality.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

I'm loving the fact that 'access to hospitality' is so high up on everyones important things a stadium must have list. Pissheads the lot of ya :lol:
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Oscar wrote:Morton wouldn't be a good option, and I can see it out my front window.

It's not central enough, and the stand is too far back from the grass. Not enough decent pubs nearby, and the capacity for temporary seating is debatable there too. If we're going to use a stadium from a different sport, Tolka or Dalymount offer better facilities with no need for additional seating, in a more central location which is better served by public transport and hospitality.
Christ we'll turn into Rovers at this rate. 3 Homes in as many years, and on the lookout for a new one. :roll:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Glic, the atmosphere before and after the match are just as important as during. Play the games in Morton, and you won't have any of the 3.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Harry,

Leinster do at least own Donnybrook, so it's just a case of rebuilding that. Rovers don't even have real estate.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Oscar wrote:Harry,

Leinster do at least own Donnybrook, so it's just a case of rebuilding that. Rovers don't even have real estate.
I don't think we'll ever go that bad. Just circumstances & poor timing. Have Leinster Branch issued a Press Release about any of this yet. Pitch, RDS, LR, or the Brook?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys