Leinster v Biarritz

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Biarritz

Post by Armchair »

Sexton to start for me! Madigan not t JS level or experience yet!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

hugonaut wrote:Not much wrong with his attacking form in ERC comps [HEC & ACC] this season. In fact, bar his tackling, it's pretty f*cking stellar [albeit over a small sample size].

ERC
1 clean break, 7 defenders beaten, 9 runs for 52m, 1 try vs Wasps [source: http://www.espnscrum.com/amlin-challeng ... 68102.html ]
2 clean breaks, 2 defenders beaten, 10 runs for 59m, 1 try vs Exeter [source: http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2 ... 67666.html ]
3 clean breaks, 5 defenders beaten, 12 runs for 89m, 1 try vs Scarlets [source: http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2 ... 67657.html ]

Average: 2 clean breaks, 4+ defenders beaten, 10 runs for 66+m, 1 try/game

Pro12
2 defenders beaten, 9 runs for 59m vs Edinburgh [source: http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro ... 67057.html ]
4 defenders beaten,9 runs for 27m vs Ulster [source: http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro ... 67097.html ]
2 defenders beaten, 11 runs for 26m vs Munster [source: http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro ... 67100.html ]

Average: 2+ defenders beaten, 9 runs for 37+m
Fair play to you for putting that together, and I'm probably being overly harsh on him, but I find it hard to reconcile those stats with what I've seen. Are those runs based on him receiving the ball in his own 22, beating one tackler before running into the nearest tackler 10 yards up the pitch? Cause that would easily explain those stats.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Quote from Joe today - "In terms of next week, the six-day turnaround would probably favour fresher players, but at the same time Jonathan is a marquee player for us, and played with great surety."

Would make me think he's leaning towards Madigan starting (ie the fresher player)
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Quote from Joe today - "In terms of next week, the six-day turnaround would probably favour fresher players, but at the same time Jonathan is a marquee player for us, and played with great surety."

Would make me think he's leaning towards Madigan starting (ie the fresher player)
The "but" would make me think he's leaning towards Sexton.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

I'd actually say he hasn't got a clue what he's going to decide yet :D
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Heads=Madser

Tails=Sexton
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

blockhead wrote:Any chance of us biting the bullet and dropping RK for the moment? Isa to FB, his brother to the wing. Robs form is a liability at this stage.
I'd prefer us to play the Kearney who didn't spend a night in hospital with a head injury less than 2 weeks ago.

And I'm buying into the theory that a couple of posters have put forward that he plays better off Sexton than Madigan and looking for a big game from Rob if Sexton starts.

I wonder if any of the Lions coaches will actually head over to check out Sexton's fitness in person. Last chance to show anything before the squad is announced.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Would be nice to talk again about the game this weekend, it's been all doomsville, fighting and moaning here this week.
Anyway.. decent news on availability for a strong team for Saturday:
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/9674.php
The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Tuesday afternoon as the province build up for Saturday afternoon's Amlin Challenge Cup semi final against Biarritz Olympique in the RDS (KO: 2.30pm)...Richardt Strauss received a stamp on his left hand during Sunday's bonus point victory away to Zebre but the Ireland hooker will be fine by Saturday.
The province will be in a position to welcome back a number of internationals who were rested for trip to Italy, including Sean Cronin, Gordon D'Arcy, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Ian Madigan, Sean O'Brien and Mike Ross, as well as skipper Leo Cullen.

Fergus McFadden and Jonathan Sexton both successfully came through their respective comeback games at the weekend but Dave Kearney has yet to return to on-field training, so he is rated as unlikely to be considered for selection.

Meanwhile, Leinster Academy out-half Cathal Marsh - who made his debut as a late replacement for Sexton - became the 52nd player to feature for the senior squad so far this term. Saturday's game will be the sixth meeting between the two sides, with Leinster shading the contests by three to two.

The team will be named at midday on Friday following the Captain's Run.

There are now over 17,600 tickets sold and with Saturday's game set to be a sell-out, supporters are advised that tickets are still available ONLINE HERE, the Leinster Rugby Store (Donnybrook), Spar (Donnybrook) as well as Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
Dont Panic!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Vamos los azules wrote:I wonder if any of the Lions coaches will actually head over to check out Sexton's fitness in person. Last chance to show anything before the squad is announced.
Sexton is already on the plane. Madigan also has the chance to make the cut, or at least become the first reserve, if he puts in another eye-catching performance. I think Joe should start him to bolster his chances in this regard. Dismantling a Top14 might just swing it for him.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Meant to post this at the beginning of the thread.

Home team has always won.

13/10/2000 19:00 Pool.....Leinster.....35.....9.....Biarritz.....Ravenhill
20/01/2001 18:30 Pool.....Biarritz.....30.....10.....Leinster.....Parc des Sports Aguilera
12/04/2003 15:35 QF.....Leinster.....18.....13.....Biarritz.....Lansdowne Road
06/12/2003 15:00 Pool.....Leinster.....32.....6.....Biarritz.....Lansdowne Road
31/01/2004 16:00 Pool.....Biarritz.....32.....21.....Leinster.....Parc des Sports Aguilera
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

deco wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Quote from Joe today - "In terms of next week, the six-day turnaround would probably favour fresher players, but at the same time Jonathan is a marquee player for us, and played with great surety."

The "but" would make me think he's leaning towards Sexton.
Is it Tyrion Lannister who says "ignore everything before but"....

Rob's attacking stats have been good, what's missing is the absolute confidence he showed last year whenever a ball was hoisted. He has difficulty challenging for a ball in the middle of the park and spinning out and breaking. It's a big difference, it allowed us to put balls up for him to contest, and it stopped teams kicking at us. That's why we missed him so much when he was out. Even if he is still struggling for some form he stops teams kicking at u so much.
I
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:Meant to post this at the beginning of the thread.

20/01/2001 18:30 Pool.....Biarritz.....30.....10.....Leinster.....Parc des Sports Aguilera
31/01/2004 16:00 Pool.....Biarritz.....32.....21.....Leinster.....Parc des Sports Aguilera
Ravenhill?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

I would be shocked if Sexton didn't start this weekend and every game till the end of the season injury permitting.

There are two trophies to be won and Joe has to select the best team for each match regardless of who is around next season. Madigan's form has been brilliant. He's already a very good player and should get even better. Sexton is the best number ten in the northern hemisphere though and he has to start imo.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:

Ravenhill?
Nah, it was in the Brook

SCORERS - Leinster: S Horgan 2 tries; B O'Driscoll try; G D'Arcy try; E Hekenui pen. 3 cons.; D Hickie d.g.; M McHugh pen. Biarritz: L Mazas 3 pens.

LEINSTER - G Dempsey (Terenure); D Hickie (St Mary's), B O'Driscoll (Blackrock), S Horgan (Lansdowne), G D'Arcy (Lansdowne); E Hekenui (St Marys), K Putt (St Marys); R Corrigan (Lansdowne), S Byrne (Blackrock), E Byrne (St Marys), B Casey (Blackrock), M O'Kelly (St Mary's), T Brennan (St Mary's), L Toland Capt (Lansdowne), V Costello (St Mary's).
Replacements - Leinster: G Halpin for E Byrne 27 mins, temporary; B O'Meara for K Putt 34 mins; L Cullen for B Casey 58 mins; E Miller for T Brennan 59 mins; P Smith for S Byrne 59 mins; G Halpin for E Byrne 64 mins; P McKenna for D'Arcy 74 mins; M McHugh for E Hekenui 78 mins.

BIARRITZ - G Osbourne; P Bernat-Salles, S Bonetti, N Couttet, S Legg; L Mazas, N Morlaes; S Puleoto, M Irazoqui, C Dabadie, L Matiu, O Roumat, S Betsen, C Milheres, S Keith.

Biarritz: J M Gonzalez for C Dabadie 40 mins; E Menieu for L Matiu 40 mins; F Botica for N Morlaes 47 mins, O Nauroy for K Scott 60 mins; S Bonnet for G Osborne 65 mins; J P Versailles for S Puleoto 67 mins.

Yellow Card T Brennan (Leinster) 48 mins.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So it was. http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/result ... XbfJEpyzHQ

Should have checked my spreadsheet.

Erc has it as Ravers

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/16735.php
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:

Ravenhill?
You have won this round Cormac

*Gritsteeth*
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Amazingly Frano Botica played in that game. He must have been nearly 40. His son plays for Quins now
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

My youngest fella has a Hurling match on Saturday so can't go. I'm keen to swap his (child) ticket for a similar one for Friday weeks game against the Ospreys if anyone is interested. South Stand.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Laighindown
Bookworm

Post by Laighindown »

cwebber82 wrote:I would be shocked if Sexton didn't start this weekend and every game till the end of the season injury permitting.

There are two trophies to be won and Joe has to select the best team for each match regardless of who is around next season. Madigan's form has been brilliant. He's already a very good player and should get even better. Sexton is the best number ten in the northern hemisphere though and he has to start imo.
This is a compelling argument and is why this is a win-win situation for Leinster and Schmidt. Choose Sexton and we have at number 10 probably the best outhalf in Europe steering the ship.

However, for me, he is on the plane to France already. There is a very strong argument for playing Madigan. Firstly, Contepomi's injury in 09 was the making of Sexton - the responsibility of guiding the team through Croke Park v Munster and the Heineken Final launched Sexton's career and gave him incredible self belief.

What would Madigan gain from being given the responsibility for these up and coming games? What would Leinster gain in the long run?

Here's the thing - I think we will win v Biarritz no matter which of them plays outhalf. If we back Sexton now, then he will likely play the rest of the big games this season. Which means Madigan's next big game will be the Heino next October. So back Madigan, give him these games and Madigan will be far from a rookie when he takes the reigns in the Heineken Cup in October. I wouldn't rule out the outhalves being given a tournament each, but my preference is definitely for Madigan to start these games. He makes us good enough to win now and builds for next season in the right way.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

In the long run? Leinster would get to win trophies, that's what it's about.

You can't always be playing next season. Finish this one first.

While there is a time to build for the future at the expense of the present the pointy end of the season with three trophies up for grabs is not it. And while I'm at it, winning the league was the making of Sexton.