Scarlets game is on Good Friday

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Scarlets game is on Good Friday

Post by sheepshagger »

Didnt this happen last year ?

There will be no beers before or after the Scarlets match as according to leinsterrugby.ie this game will be played on Good Friday :evil:
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Re: Scarlets game is on Good Friday

Post by epaddy »

sheepshagger wrote:Didnt this happen last year ?

There will be no beers before or after the Scarlets match as according to leinsterrugby.ie this game will be played on Good Friday :evil:
I hate this country. I am not a catholic, why cant I go for a drink?
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Neither am I epaddy. . . .this pi*s's me off every year. . some people will say it's only once a year'. . .thats not the point though.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

epaddy wrote:

I hate this country. I am not a catholic, why cant I go for a drink?
Sports clubs are allowed open I thought. Luckily I live in a town where the lisencing laws are largely ignored.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

It's great public relations - anyway I for one shall spend Good Friday in a pub as I'm off to the UK that weekend - Heathens do have their uses!!
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

b*%&!x. Hadn't noticed that. Think I might end up missing it as I'll be down the country.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Bring your own beer......

Anyhoo - to address the point Shagger and Epaddy made, while us Catholics fast on this holy day, you sinners shall suffer ........

for not being Catholics. :D
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Duch Gold all round is it LM. . . .

Calling yourself a Catholic is not going cover up all the non catholic things you have done!!!!

:lol:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sheepshagger wrote:Duch Gold all round is it LM. . . .

Calling yourself a Catholic is not going cover up all the non catholic things you have done!!!!

Harp Sheepshagger, Harp!!!!!! In blind tests its number 1!!!! You provide the mutton stew, I'll provide the ale.... :lol:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Harp Sheepshagger, Harp!!!!!! In blind tests its number 1!!!! You provide the mutton stew, I'll provide the ale.... :lol:
Shagger - we have confession so my conscience is clear. 8)

Flash - NO MEAT!!!!! Not on Good Friday. We'll have to make do with a fish supper - and remember, only one main meal and 2 snacks/small meals for the day.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Leinsterman wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Shagger - we have confession so my conscience is clear. 8)

Flash - NO MEAT!!!!! Not on Good Friday. We'll have to make do with a fish supper - and remember, only one main meal and 2 snacks/small meals for the day.
and those snacks shouldn't be easter eggs
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Confession? - can I book a whole afternoon session please ? :lol:
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Aggghhhh! :evil:

LAGER, not Ale!!

Flash, tell me it was a deliberate mistake...

Think this happened last year as well. Seem to recall almost this exact conversation on the old LB MB...
"They play a running game, we play a running game..." Sky Sports Two 23/1/06
"There is only one Girve the Swerve..." Sky Sports Two 31/3/06
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

fungalboy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

LAGER, not Ale!!

Think this happened last year as well. Seem to recall almost this exact conversation on the old LB MB...
Ale is a generic term for beer FB, you need to get out of the brewery and get some face time with the consumers.... :wink:

Yep, happened last year alright. Think it was the Dragons we played. The visiting Welsh guys were none to impressed.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Flash Gordon wrote:Ale is a generic term for beer
Which was true in years gone by when ale was unhopped, but then the word beer teneded to used to refer to hopped ale - an innovation from the dutch, which gave a pleasant bitter taste but also the humulin and lupulin the main active ingredients of the hops gave an antiseptic quality to the beer increasing its longevity and also the longevity of those who drank it. Still this GF as all GF on this isle there will be no humulin, no lupulin, no malt be that crystal, chocolate, or pale, no brewers yeasts, no Liffey waters, no adjuncts merely thrown in to increase the brewers profits (adjuncts that would fall foul of the German Purity Laws however), no none of these things which have been combined lovingly and skillfully using recipes developed over centuries to provide the working man with nourishment and refereshment will be downed at the Scarlets rugby match. How stupid is that?
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
fungalboy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Harp Sheepshagger, Harp!!!!!! In blind tests its number 1!!!! You provide the mutton stew, I'll provide the ale.... :lol:

LAGER, not Ale!!

Ale is a generic term for beer FB, you need to get out of the brewery and get some face time with the consumers.... :wink:

Yep, happened last year alright. Think it was the Dragons we played. The visiting Welsh guys were none to impressed.
Ale should not be used as a generic term for beer although there is some merit to the idea:

Ale was used as a term to describe beers that been flavoured with hops in the early middle ages. Beer at that point was any fermented beverage made from cerals (some flavoured with all sorts of things like corriander and different herbs...). Hops had a sterilising effect on the ale and thus helped it to last longer (This is why export brands always had a higher bitterness and alchol content). Hence hops became the most popular flavouring for beers and there are very few that don't use hops in some form or other and therfore you could say that all beers are ales.

However the more modern meaning of ale is as a word used to describe a hopped beer that is fermented using "top" yeast, warm condtioned and made from malted barley. Brewing of ale is generally quite a quick process.
This distinguishes it from Lager. Harp is a prime example if this beer type brewed to a unique tradtional process in the Great Northern Brewery. It is a hopped beer that is fermented using "bottom" yeast, cold condtioned and aged for a period of time. Tradtionally lager takes longer to brew than ale (Lager is the german word for aged).
Dutch Gold is a term used to describe the liquid you find dripping from a leaky U bend.

I hope you take note of these things Flash, there will be a quiz next week...
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Uncle Mort wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Ale is a generic term for beer
Which was true in years gone by when ale was unhopped, but then the word beer teneded to used to refer to hopped ale - an innovation from the dutch, which gave a pleasant bitter taste but also the humulin and lupulin the main active ingredients of the hops gave an antiseptic quality to the beer increasing its longevity and also the longevity of those who drank it. Still this GF as all GF on this isle there will be no humulin, no lupulin, no malt be that crystal, chocolate, or pale, no brewers yeasts, no Liffey waters, no adjuncts merely thrown in to increase the brewers profits (adjuncts that would fall foul of the German Purity Laws however), no none of these things which have been combined lovingly and skillfully using recipes developed over centuries to provide the working man with nourishment and refereshment will be downed at the Scarlets rugby match. How stupid is that?
:D

Well said Uncle Mort.

However would take issue with your view on adjuncts though. They can and do serve various purpouses including flavour enhancement. I do agree though that many brewers do also find them a useful way to increase plant effieiency.
Last edited by fungalboy on March 8th, 2006, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

fungalboy wrote:Well said Uncle Mort.

However would take issue with your view on adjuncts though. They can and do serve various purpouses including flavour enhancement. I do agree though that many brewers do also find them a useful way to increas plane effieiency.
Flavour enhancement?!! What's wrong with a subtle blend of malts and hops?
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

Uncle Mort wrote:
fungalboy wrote:Well said Uncle Mort.

However would take issue with your view on adjuncts though. They can and do serve various purpouses including flavour enhancement. I do agree though that many brewers do also find them a useful way to increas plane effieiency.
Flavour enhancement?!! What's wrong with a subtle blend of malts and hops?
Quite a few people in this country like a brew that uses rosted barley as an adjunct to give it a very dark colour and a pleasing dry bitterness.

Our amercian friends are quite fond of a "lager" that uses rice as an adjunct to give a very "light" crisp taste.

BTW I'm not trying to be a "Beer Snob" here, the best advice I could give somebody is if you find a drink you like you should stick to it no matter what people (inc. me) may say about it. Each to their own...
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Camra

Post by Uncle Mort »

fungalboy wrote:
Quite a few people in this country like a brew that uses rosted barley as an adjunct to give it a very dark colour and a pleasing dry bitterness.

Our amercian friends are quite fond of a "lager" that uses rice as an adjunct to give a very "light" crisp taste.

BTW I'm not trying to be a "Beer Snob" here, the best advice I could give somebody is if you find a drink you like you should stick to it no matter what people (inc. me) may say about it. Each to their own...
What you have to bear in mind is that the brew in this country you refer to uses barley, and I thought it was actually roasted malted barley too so that is not an adjunct.

American beers are best left in America - why drink Budweiser when the Czech version is infinitely better?

I agree with you that people should find a beer that like to drink and stick with it but they should not be influenced by the marketing hype of the multinational super brewers that are only interested in selling yellow fizz thats cheap to make, easy to store and can be sold at great profit.

I'm sure that we can agree that good beer is one of the the Earth's greatest gifts.