Luke McGrath & John Cooney

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Luke McGrath & John Cooney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote:Second try for Cooney in the first half against Zebre. Un-f*cking-believable that we didn't contract him for next season when we had the option. With our two first choice scrum-halves 35 and 34 years old, and both of them likely to be at the World Cup, we passed up the opportunity to re-hire a 24/25 year old scrum-half in whom we've already invested six years of training.
Is that definitely the case or did he just get pissed off waiting for a chance with us?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

hugonaut wrote:Second try for Cooney in the first half against Zebre. Un-f*cking-believable that we didn't contract him for next season when we had the option. With our two first choice scrum-halves 35 and 34 years old, and both of them likely to be at the World Cup, we passed up the opportunity to re-hire a 24/25 year old scrum-half in whom we've already invested six years of training.
It's the best decision he's made so far in his short career. He is thriving at Connacht.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

i think cooney chose connacht over leinster.
he was 4th choice here under MOC and saw more opportunities west.
says a lot about MOC.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I think it was a case of him turning us down which makes perfect sense. He is now the defacto number 2 scrumhalf at Connacht and he's pushing Marmion hard for number 1. If he'd stayed at Leinster...

The good news is I think he only signed a 1 year deal with Connacht so after next season I can see him coming back to us with serious gametime and sharp as a tack with hopefully a new manager in place who will utilise him to his fullest extent. That's the hope anyway.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

sunshiner1 wrote:I think it was a case of him turning us down which makes perfect sense. He is now the defacto number 2 scrumhalf at Connacht and he's pushing Marmion hard for number 1. If he'd stayed at Leinster...

The good news is I think he only signed a 1 year deal with Connacht so after next season I can see him coming back to us with serious gametime and sharp as a tack with hopefully a new manager in place who will utilise him to his fullest extent. That's the hope anyway.
agreed, ideally McGrath will progress here next season and Cooney returns a better player too.
but i don't trust MOC to develop any of our young backs, so McGrath will probably end having to leave too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Amazing how a a player can improve when...he actually plays.

Always thought it was strange that Cooney was cast aside (by Joe too, I think) despite not playing particularly poorly. I don't want to pretend that I've been championing his cause though, don't think his game management is good at all and he can be very slow to pass the ball. So whilst I don't think he's particularly good, in our circumstances he's someone who we could certainly do with.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Cooney was awarded Man of the Match for the Zebre game. That is his second MoM of the season.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Players coming up from under age for "better teams" will often have to leave to get worthwhile game time.

There are usually 2 senior players of top quality fighting over a starting position. If the team is trying to win competitions, where is the opportunity to give young guys serious game time?
3 or 4 five minute cameos after the team is safe is not as good as 8 or 10 starts slugging it out for teams lower in the league.

Its often the only option for guys who want to further their career, rather than wait around till a NIQ buck big replacement parachutes in ahead of you. Fair play to the guys ho have the balls to go for it.

Felix Jones is a prime example, would he have been in line for Ireland caps now if he stayed here behind RK and Isa.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

olaf the fat wrote:Players coming up from under age for "better teams" will often have to leave to get worthwhile game time.

There are usually 2 senior players of top quality fighting over a starting position. If the team is trying to win competitions, where is the opportunity to give young guys serious game time?
3 or 4 five minute cameos after the team is safe is not as good as 8 or 10 starts slugging it out for teams lower in the league.

Its often the only option for guys who want to further their career, rather than wait around till a NIQ buck big replacement parachutes in ahead of you. Fair play to the guys ho have the balls to go for it.

Felix Jones is a prime example, would he have been in line for Ireland caps now if he stayed here behind RK and Isa.
Which brings us back to a topic often discussed here of contracting these young guys and sending them to the UK or France on Loan deals like they do in soccer. If they do well we can bring them home when we need them.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I can't exactly see the English and French clubs lining up for that deal
I have Bumbleflex
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

But thats the model for keeping Connacht going. Springboard for good young players caught in a log jam, and some good old pros to guide the way.
Providing players for the international team and competing for champions cup rugby is a bonus. It helps the pro12 as well.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

olaf the fat wrote:But thats the model for keeping Connacht going. Springboard for good young players caught in a log jam, and some good old pros to guide the way.
Providing players for the international team and competing for champions cup rugby is a bonus. It helps the pro12 as well.
Connacht are part of the irish system, its their job to provide provide players for the Irish national team. Why would an English or French club put resources into developing players for their rivals at european and international level.
I have Bumbleflex
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:But thats the model for keeping Connacht going. Springboard for good young players caught in a log jam, and some good old pros to guide the way.
Connacht are part of the irish system, its their job to provide provide players for the Irish national team. Why would an English or French club put resources into developing players for their rivals at european and international level.
Thats what I was trying to say, just better!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ah, get where you're coming from now
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

both included in emerging ireland squad, Cooney seriously impressing for Connacht, while McGrath has generally impressed in his limited opportunities this season.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

thought Luke was good today for Ireland, bar one poor pass where he had to go digging for it. better than reddan probably.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Pretty poor when he came on tonight, one or two very wonky passes. Thought Reddan was a bit of a disgrace, one of the worst performances from him in a while.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

neiliog93 wrote:Pretty poor when he came on tonight, one or two very wonky passes. Thought Reddan was a bit of a disgrace, one of the worst performances from him in a while.
there was one that was bad after he spent ages trying to dig out the ball. other than that he was fine and injected some pace into proceedings.

ill rewatch tomorrow but pretty poor is a bit much IMO
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Luke was at irish training camp on Sunday.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

goreyguy wrote:Luke was at irish training camp on Sunday.
Sure everyone with a pair of boots with new laces would have been at that training camp.