Leinster & Hookers

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster & Hookers

Post by CiaranIrl »

We've had a few tight 5 players come through exceptionally quickly in recent years. Ryan, Furlong & Porter have had meteoric rises especially. I feel that has somewhat skewed our expectations of what is normal in terms of development for tight 5 players. It's probably made us a bit harsh in our judgement of Moloney, for example, and I'd hope for people to be relatively patient with Ed & Bryan Byrne, as well as with the second rows who are playing in the under 20s right now. An article in the IT about Dan Leavy reminded me just how good both the brothers were at underage level in Clongows.

I'd personally hate to see us sign a 26 year old NIQ at Hooker right now. I'd love a top quality 30 something year old stopgap (like Fardy was) who will help some of the younger guys coming through. I'd love to persuade Stephen Moore to come here and play one more year, for example.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Agreed on the need to patient with tight 5 players, hopefully BB's recent form is him maturing into a consistent tight 5 players of some quality for Leinster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Seems like some talk that Richardt Strauss could be off at the end of the season to return to SA.

Only 140 minutes played this season, 1 start, 5 subs.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Strauss is such a dedicated individual and, for me, a Leinster legend.
Since his first season in 09/10, when he ended up playing flanker against Toulouse in the Heineken Cup semi (due to injuries), he has given his all to the cause.
He had a number of outstanding seasons and people now seem to forget what a good player he was.
He has struggled with injury and concussion (particularly) over the past few seasons, but that shouldn't take away from what went before.
If he does leave, I hope he gets a proper farewell.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

+1
Over 150 appearances for Leinster (Isa not that far ahead) and a stalwart of the 11 and 12 HC winning sides. Never gave less than 100% and the epitome of the modern hooker at the breakdown. If he goes he should definitely be given a proper goodbye.
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

curates_egg wrote:Strauss is such a dedicated individual and, for me, a Leinster legend.
Since his first season in 09/10, when he ended up playing flanker against Toulouse in the Heineken Cup semi (due to injuries), he has given his all to the cause.
He had a number of outstanding seasons and people now seem to forget what a good player he was.
He has struggled with injury and concussion (particularly) over the past few seasons, but that shouldn't take away from what went before.
Big stylee. A class act, our poaching game improved when he arrived. I think i referred to him as ferret like following his first few appearances and that is what he reminds me of, relentless, stubborn and focking powerful.
Big Strauss fan!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Strauss is such a dedicated individual and, for me, a Leinster legend.
Big stylee. A class act, our poaching game improved when he arrived. I think i referred to him as ferret like following his first few appearances and that is what he reminds me of, relentless, stubborn and focking powerful.
Big Strauss fan!
IIRC Strauss and Jeno had a great double act going at the breakdown.
First one in tackled low and second one in got on the ball.
They were incredibly effective playing together.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Harris-Wright leaving Bristol (along with Jack O'Connell): https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/dep ... tribution/.
No info if they have contracts elsewhere.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

O'Connell is joining Ealing.

JHW went off injured in his last game afaik.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on April 12th, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:Harris-Wright leaving Bristol (along with Jack O'Connell): https://www.bristolrugby.co.uk/news/dep ... tribution/.
No info if they have contracts elsewhere.
Jack O'Connell has gone to Ealing Trailfinders
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Still think Leinster should look at Patrick Finlay, 22 year old hooker from Trinity.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

rumour that Eoghan Clarke is headed to Munster academy
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

mildlyinterested wrote:rumour that Eoghan Clarke is headed to Munster academy
Weird. They've never had problems bringing through hookers and we have an obvious need coming down the track.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

To be honest I would expect this, if not to be the norm going forward, then certainly to be happening a lot more. From what I've heard Munster intent to fill their academy with talent from wherever they can find it.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

CiaranIrl wrote:
Weird. They've never had problems bringing through hookers and we have an obvious need coming down the track.
yeah they have a boat load of young hookers coming through at u18/u19 level.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote:
To be honest I would expect this, if not to be the norm going forward, then certainly to be happening a lot more. From what I've heard Munster intent to fill their academy with talent from wherever they can find it.
nothing new there, munster always after leinster talent.. surprised Clarke would choose Munster over Leinster but I guess he knows he is behind Kelleher at Leinster.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
nothing new there, munster always after leinster talent.. surprised Clarke would choose Munster over Leinster but I guess he knows he is behind Kelleher at Leinster.
I think in the past there was a always an element of 'pride' (or call it what you will) with Munster in relation to 'hanging around the back door' at the Leinster Acadamy and they only went after Leinster young fellas in exceptional circumstances. However, I think now all gloves are off.

From their piont of few I'm not saying its a bad thing (or is at least understandable), however I think there is more pressure now on Leinster to make sure they keep the right guys so that anyone that slips through, for whatever reason doesn't come back to bite them in the arse.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Kelleher is the exceptional talent in the underage setup, Clarke would be nice to have for depth but can't blame him when he sees Kelleher in front of him as has been the case all the way up.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:Kelleher is the exceptional talent in the underage setup, Clarke would be nice to have for depth but can't blame him when he sees Kelleher in front of him as has been the case all the way up.
Yep that's my point. Where in the past he'd have to wait ans see, now players are going to be told by David Naf (or whoever) "actually, there's another option...", so more and more players are not going to hang around.

Again, I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing (we can't stock pile players) but the onus is now greater on Leinster, as they will probably have to decide sooner then they would have liked, on which players to cut loose.

Interesting times!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Nucifora struggled to get older players to give that up their provincial loyalty so is now targeting younger players in the aim to severe provincial ties for the sake of 'player movement'

anyway this is just a rumour at this point and even if true it's only 1 player..