A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Conan The Destroyer

Post by Donny B. »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Well firstly thanks for making me feel really, really old (I started college in 1991).
Wow, hadn't realised you'd gone to college as a mature student - fair play to you :wink:
Bloody Cheek!!! :evil:
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Well firstly thanks for making me feel really, really old (I started college in 1991).
Wow, hadn't realised you'd gone to college as a mature student - fair play to you :wink:
Bloody Cheek!!! :evil:
You mean you're not older than me :shock:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I finished college in 1991 :shock:
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I finished school the week before Mike Ross was born :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:I finished school the week before Mike Ross was born :lol:
in fairness though back then everyone left school at 8
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
:clap:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Leave JohnG alone, he doesn't look a day over 30.

Still OK for the trip to Amsterdam in the summer, right John? Good man.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

BUMP!
Is he ahead of the Tank now?
That was some performance out there on Friday.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Seannie has yet to win the Jack Conan award for getting sh!t done, but he does have the SOB award for running over people so it's a close one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

AdamK wrote:When he was playing for the academy he was bigger than Heaslip. Says a lot.
He'll be grand so unless he goes into an early decline.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Conan on the 42.
'What he does has nothing to do with me': Conan not prepared to step aside when Heaslip returns
The Leinster number eight was man of the match again on Friday night.

JACK CONAN MUST be running out of room on his mantlepiece at this stage, as he marked his first start of the new season with the type of performance we now almost expect from him every time he takes to the park.
The Leinster number eight picked up from where he left off last season under the lights at the RDS on Friday night as the eastern province huffed and puffed before eventually put Cardiff Blues to the sword.

Conan played the full 80 minutes and was influential from the first until last minute, carrying hard in the opening exchanges before playing a key hand in Nick McCarthy’s bonus point clinching score at the death.

It was little surprise to see him walk into the RDS press conference room with the man-of-the-match medallion tucked under his arm. It has become a familiar sight now, as his worth to Leinster grows with each passing muscular display.

Conan’s influence on Friday’s Pro14 clash grew as the game wore on and the statistics validate the decision to give him the MOTM award; 103 metres made and 16 runs with ball in hand — no Leinster player made more. Defensively, he was as influential. Nine tackles highlights his tireless work in contact and at the breakdown, not that we need any reminding.

The 25-year-old has taken his game to a new level over the course of the last 12 months and is consistently producing standout performances in the blue of Leinster, something which was recognised by Joe Schmidt as he toured with Ireland in the summer.

As regular and imposing as his contributions have been, so too have the questions about emerging from Jamie Heaslip’s shadow and gaining a firm grip on that number eight jersey, both at club and international level.

Of course, Heaslip’s season-curtailing injury last year opened the door for Conan but he had already burst through it and was in a great position to seize the opportunity with both hands. His time of waiting was over.

Jack Conan is presented Guinness PRO14 Man of the Match award by Niall Lawless Conan with his MOTM award on Friday. Source: Bryan Keane/INPHO

The senior of the two, now aged 34, is still working his way back to full fitness but his presence around Leinster HQ has again raised questions over who is now first choice when Leo Cullen is forced to choose between the two.

“Jamie is a fantastic player and has been a fantastic role model to me, helping me become the player I am today but ultimately I can’t worry about him because what he does has nothing to do with me,” Conan said after Friday’s game.

“I can’t control it, how he performs or what he does so I just try and do my best day in, day out and every time I get to put the jersey on put the hand up and show no matter who’s fit that I want to be starting for this club.

“To be honest, I don’t look too far ahead or try not to anyway. For someone who probably overthinks a lot of things, I take it week in, week out and I’m very kind of task orientated. Monday and Tuesday of the week I’ll sit down and focus on my notes.

“If I’ve been given the task of starting I take massive pride and there’s a lot of weight to the jersey so I know I have to do my upmost best every opportunity, whether it’s 25 minutes last week or a start this weekend.”

One thing is for sure; Conan is not prepared to vacate the position once Heaslip returns to the fold.

“I’m a bit of a stubborn old soul so I won’t be looking to give it back anytime soon even when he does get back to fitness,” he continued.

“I relish the challenge when he’s fit again, he’s a fantastic player and a great bloke. He’ll push me to be better and I’ll push him to be better and the same with the likes of Max [Deegan] who got his first start last week.

“There’s no animosity among us, we all get on very well and obviously I don’t want them to start ahead of me but I definitely want Jamie to push me to be better and I want to do the same to him.”

Conan helped Leinster to their second bonus point victory of the campaign on Friday and is expected to be part of Cullen’s 28-player travelling party for the two-week mini tour of South Africa.

The Leinster squad will train at their UCD base on Monday and Tuesday before departing for Johannesburg on Tuesday afternoon ahead of their back-to-back games against the Kings and Cheetahs.

“Please God I’ll be on the flight over,” Conan adds. “I’m massively excited to go, it’s a new adventure and something that has never been done by Leinster Rugby and the opportunity to be on that team and go over to play one of those sides will go down in history and definitely something I want to be part of.

“It’s not a holiday, it’s work. We’re going over to set our stall out and set our standard.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://rugbylist.blogspot.com/p/190518 ... nster.html

14.20 on the match clock.
Conan makes a surge into Munster space.
Shorts get pulled down in the tackle, revealing a big hairy arse.
Conan instinctively turns around an pulls his shorts back up.
Conan does not protect and/or recycle the ball.
Result? Munster penalty.
Cop on Jack!
Always protect the ball.
Something to work on for next season.
Carry on.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote:https://rugbylist.blogspot.com/p/190518 ... nster.html

14.20 on the match clock.
Conan makes a surge into Munster space.
Shorts get pulled down in the tackle, revealing a big hairy arse.
Conan instinctively turns around an pulls his shorts back up.
Conan does not protect and/or recycle the ball.
Result? Munster penalty.
Cop on Jack!
Always protect the ball.
Something to work on for next season.
Carry on.
Howyra, Blockhead,

perhaps you could help me out. For a couple of days now I haven't been able to get the games on rugbylist to play. I run my cursor over the game(s) I want to watch, but it/they don't go live, meaning I can click away all I want and nothing happens. That clip of the Leinster v Munster Pro 14 semi I was able play via the link you provided, no problem. Any idea what my difficulty might be or why I can't get the rugbylist games to play? Could it be that I'm in Germany? Any suggestions or explanations you might have would be appreciated.

R
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Yeah, they're not up yet. I think the site is ok.ru, can maybe search there.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

paddyor wrote:Yeah, they're not up yet. I think the site is ok.ru, can maybe search there.
Been on ok.ru. Found four rugby channels. rugbylist.blogspot.com is not one of them.....
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

riocard911 wrote:
paddyor wrote:Yeah, they're not up yet. I think the site is ok.ru, can maybe search there.
Been on ok.ru. Found four rugby channels. rugbylist.blogspot.com is not one of them.....
https://rugbylist.blogspot.com/p/120518 ... ng-92.html

Click the OK icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen(beside the fullscreen icon). You'll find the author there. Don't think there's a channel.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

OptaJonny
Jack Conan has made 32 carries in the Autumn Nations Series, no other player has made 30+; he's committed at least two tacklers from 19 of those carries, also the most of any player, just ahead of teammate Ronan Kelleher (17)

Not far off 200m ran too

You go Jack!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'm a little disappointed that he's not at least nominated for player of the year.