Conan The Destroyer

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Conan The Destroyer

Post by ronk »

AdamK wrote:When he was playing for the academy he was bigger than Heaslip. Says a lot.
He is in the academy
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

[Jackass] wrote:Yeah looking forward to seeing more from The Destroyer.

RE: Blues talk, which one are you JohnG, the host or the blow in? (and who's the one who isn't you?) I know Dave and Donny to see.
He's the one that has assuredly blown in.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

ronk wrote:
AdamK wrote:When he was playing for the academy he was bigger than Heaslip. Says a lot.
He is in the academy
Oops, I meant for Ireland u20.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Yeah looking forward to seeing more from The Destroyer.

RE: Blues talk, which one are you JohnG, the host or the blow in? (and who's the one who isn't you?) I know Dave and Donny to see.
He's the one that has assuredly blown in.
Yeah, the really old one!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Australian's rallying call will have been music to the ears of Jack Conan, who has to contend with Jamie Heaslip at No 8. Being the freakishly fit athlete that he is, Heaslip's lack of injuries has been well documented, hence why Conan isn't about to sit back and wait for his chance.

The 22-year-old former St Gerard's College student was awarded a senior contract at the beginning of the season - one year before he was due to graduate from the Leinster academy - such has been his rapid progression.

DURABILITY

"He seems to be gifted in not getting injured," Conan smiled when asked about Heaslip's durability.

"But I want to be playing because I'm the best player to play and not because there's injuries. When the time comes and it's between me and Jamie to be picked, obviously at this stage it'll be him, but down the line we'll have to wait and see.

"He's been very good to me. He helps me out and takes me to the side and talks over the moves. Sometimes it's ways I wouldn't even see but over the years he has gathered that bit of experience and is passing it on to me. He has been very helpful."

Conan starts at No 8 against Benetton Treviso tomorrow (3.30), with O'Connor welcoming back several players from lengthy lay-offs - Jordi Murphy and Dave Kearney start for the first time this season.

Luke Fitzgerald shifts to outside-centre, while Richardt Strauss is named at hooker, fresh from his try-scoring performance for Ireland against Georgia last weekend.

Dominic Ryan has also been released by Ireland but the newly capped flanker has to make do with a place on the bench alongside prop Jamie Hagan, who returned to the province last week on a three-month deal from London Irish.

Leinster's blend of youth and experience for tomorrow's game means that there is an extra onus on players staking their claim.

Conan admitted that his progression this season has even surprised himself. His European debut arrived in the cauldron of Castres last month but just like everything else in his career to date, the powerful 22-year old took it in his stride.

"It's all happened very quick. I didn't really expect to get as much game time as I have but it's been great," he said. "To be involved in the Champions Cup, I didn't really expect that of myself at this age but I've been lucky.

"I played a lot of games for Old Belvedere last year. The AIL is your shop window and that's where you get to play week in, week out and that's hugely important. It's where you prove yourself to the provincial coaches.

"The AIL is a good standard but it's no where near the Champions Cup. I just looked to build on last season's form when I came into pre-season. I pushed really hard and I suppose I've been lucky with a few breaks."

Another one of his mentors at both Leinster and Belvo, Leo Auva'a, is named amongst Treviso's replacements and Conan is relishing the challenge of coming up against him.

"It'll be great to play against Leo. When I first started playing for Old Belvedere, he was there ahead of me," he said.

"I was playing out of position to facilitate him. He taught me a lot of things as well so I'm definitely looking forward to going up against him. It should be a good contest between us."
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Superb potential and a real power 8. He's listed as the same height as Heaslip and one kg heavier but he looks much, much bigger in the flesh.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

BUMP!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I've consistently bigged him up (not that he needs that, eh?) but wow, what a performance today. Displayed the kind of collision-dominance and sheer size and power reminiscent of Stephen Ferris. He's too big to be compared to SOB and too powerful to be compared to Heaslip. Can really run people over in a way few of our players can.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neiliog93 wrote:I've consistently bigged him up (not that he needs that, eh?) but wow, what a performance today. Displayed the kind of collision-dominance and sheer size and power reminiscent of Stephen Ferris. He's too big to be compared to SOB and too powerful to be compared to Heaslip. Can really run people over in a way few of our players can.
His skittling of Paddy Jackson was pretty funny.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

cormac wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:I've consistently bigged him up (not that he needs that, eh?) but wow, what a performance today. Displayed the kind of collision-dominance and sheer size and power reminiscent of Stephen Ferris. He's too big to be compared to SOB and too powerful to be compared to Heaslip. Can really run people over in a way few of our players can.
His skittling of Paddy Jackson was pretty funny.
Not to mention Dan Tuohy and several others (probably not as emphatically..).
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

When SOB comes back we will have a fully loaded killed back row with a bench to put fear in the opposition. All we need is a coach to get the best out of them.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Fireworks wrote:When SOB comes back we will have a fully loaded killed back row with a bench to put fear in the opposition. All we need is a coach to get the best out of them.
Sounded great till I read the 2nd sentence :shock:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

We've got phenomenal strength in depth in the backrow – missing O'Brien [shoulder], Heaslip [shoulder], Ruddock [arm], Jennings [hamstring], Ryan [concussion], McLaughlin [shoulder], all six of them Irish internationals and three of them capped in the most recent test series – and a trio of lads born in 1991 [Murphy], 1992 [Conan] and 1993 [van der Flier] go out and get the job done against interpro opposition.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

hugonaut wrote: A trio of lads born in 1991 [Murphy], 1992 [Conan] and 1993 [van der Flier] go out and get the job done against interpro opposition.
Well firstly thanks for making me feel really, really old (I started college in 1991).

But yes I was delighted with how that back row went yesterday and how much better balanced they looked.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:
Well firstly thanks for making me feel really, really old (I started college in 1991).
Wow, hadn't realised you'd gone to college as a mature student - fair play to you :wink:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Wow, hadn't realised you'd gone to college as a mature student - fair play to you :wink:
Never mind that he only finished two weeks ago :lol:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

He seemed a bit more confident when he moved to 8

Always nice to see a Leinster 8 run over opposition 10 like a train
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Imagine what he'll be like when he gets confidence at Pro12 and ERC level!
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Its definitely time to get fully on this wagon.
The French are predictably unpredictable
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rosscarrick wrote:Its definitely time to get fully on this wagon.
better on it than in front of it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon