Leinster 2014/2015 Player of the Year?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Who is the Leinster 2014/2015 Player of the Year?

Jack McGrath
3%
Sean Cronin
12%
Mike McCarthy
No votes
Devin Toner
29%
Jamie Heaslip
37%
Isaac Boss
No votes
Ian Madigan
6%
Luke Fitzgerald
8%
Other
5%

Total votes: 65

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Leinster 2014/2015 Player of the Year?

Post by COYBIB »

I'd vote for penalty try, but even he was sh*te this year.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Im sorry .. usually Id be enthusiastic about these posts.. But really with the abject Team & Management performance this Season, Nobody can be truly proud of their overall contribution.... so in the words of Richard Prior in Brewsters Millions.. I vote ' None of the above'
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

I was going to vote for our top try scorer but he's not on the list.
The French are predictably unpredictable
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Heaslip for me. Has pretty much single handedly dragged us through some games. It's a cliche but when he did well Leinster generally did well. Toner has been good but Heaslip has been the most influential.

Big shout out has to go to Fitzy though too. Our back line was a shambles until he got the 13 shirt. Suddenly we saw a midfield player straighten the line and others started to follow his example. I thought he was the primary reason for our improved performances in January. Te'o has taken on that mantle now somewhat and I've been really happy with his development, but Luke just did what needed to be done. "Led from the front" etc.
Exley
Bookworm

Post by Exley »

Jamie for me. Shone amongst the shite and was generally immense in Europe.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Toner and Madigan named in planetrugby.com European team of the year
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

So the four people that voted for Sean Cronin were right!

Jack Conan young player of the year.

The Leinster Rugby Awards Ball took place this evening at the Double Tree by Hilton in front of over 500 attendees as Leinster Rugby celebrated the achievements of those both on and off the field in both the domestic and the professional game.

RTÉ's Darragh Maloney was MC for the evening as Leinster Rugby Head Coach Matt O'Connor, Captain Jamie Heaslip and the rest of the players also took the opportunity to celebrate the careers of Leinster Rugby stalwarts Gordon D'Arcy and Shane Jennings.

Leinster Rugby President John Glackin opened proceedings as 12 awards in total were presented, which included former St Mary's, Leinster, Ireland and Lions back Johnny Moloney being inducted into the Leinster Rugby Guinness Hall of Fame and former Leinster and Ireland prop Fiona Coghlan receiving the Life Style Sports Special Merit Award. Nine departees were also awarded their Leinster Rugby caps in recognition of their achievements on the pitch.

Two of those departees included Shane Jennings and Gordon D'Arcy who were interviewed on stage by former team mates Leo Cullen and Brian O'Driscoll.

Leo brought Shane on a journey through a stellar career while also including tributes from the likes of Munster and Ireland lock Paul O'Connell. Shane's time with Leinster Rugby included 206 caps and 21 tries in a career that included three Heineken Cup triumphs, three Celtic League/PRO12 titles, an Amlin Cup and an English Premiership title with Leicester Tigers. He wore the green of Ireland on 13 occasions and scored a try in the 2011 Rugby World Cup against Russia.

Likewise, Brian brought Gordon on a trip down memory lane and who better to take that trip with the Wexford man than his centre partner at both provincial and national level for so long. Together they hold the record for most appearances as a centre partnership in international rugby.

During his 261 caps, Gordon also enjoyed great moments in a blue jersey and won three Heineken Cups, an Amlin Cup and four Celtic League/Pro 12 titles during a career that started in September 1998 against Llanelli. He also won 81 international caps with Ireland, toured twice with the British & Irish Lions and won a Grand Slam in 2009 and a 6 Nations title in 2014.

Two tribute videos brought the house down as both received a standing ovation from the appreciative crowd.

Fellow departees Jimmy Gopperth, Quinn Roux, John Cooney, Ben Marshall, Sam Coghlan Murray, Brendan Macken and Sean McCarthy were also honoured for their contribution to Leinster Rugby with President John Glackin awarding those in attendance with their caps.

While there was celebration aplenty it was also an opportunity to remember those no longer with us and Anne McInerney was posthumously awarded the RiverRock Outstanding Contribution to Leinster Rugby award. Anne was Schools Administrator for 15 years until her retirement last year. She sadly passed away after a short illness earlier this year. After a moving tribute by Leinster Rugby CEO, Mick Dawson, two of her children, Kenny and Mischa, accepted the award on behalf of Anne's family.

The top two professional awards went to Jack Conan and Sean Cronin.

Conan was awarded the Samsung Galaxy S6 Young Player of the Year from a short list that included Tadhg Furlong and Luke McGrath. While Cronin was awarded the Bank of Ireland Players' Player of the Year Award ahead of Jamie Heaslip, Devin Toner and Luke Fitzgerald. It was Cronin's second award of the night having also been awarded the Irish Independent Try of the Year for his effort against Castres in the Champions Cup. That award was voted for by Leinster Rugby fans on www.independent.ie

Having won his first cap last season against Cardiff Blues, Wicklow man Conan, has taken his first steps as a senior professional this season and has grasped the opportunity with both hands with an impressive 21 caps for Leinster, including 13 starts, and two tries as a flanker or number eight. His form has also been recognised at international level with a first call up to the Irish senior squad and a first appearance for the Wolfhounds against the English Saxons.

Sean Cronin has had arguably his best season yet for Leinster and Ireland and that has been recognised by his peers. Having now been at Leinster for four seasons, he is closing in on 100 caps for the province and has played 20 times this season, scoring two tries. He also played a major role in Ireland's 6 Nations defence and in the successful Autumn Internationals Series.

Leinster Rugby Head Coach, Matt O'Connor praised both players for their impact both on and off the pitch this season

"Both players have had excellent seasons for us. Their impact on the field is quite telling in terms of minutes played and their impact on the games that they featured in and I suppose the supporters can appreciate that. But for me it's what they do away from the paddock that people maybe don't see has left a lasting impression on everyone within the environment.

"You forget how young Jack is and that it's his first year out of the Academy. His maturity and his drive belies his 22 years. I suppose for Sean there is no greater honour than being recognised by your fellow players but knowing Sean he will already be looking at ways on improving and kicking on next season both for himself and for the group."

Award Winners - Leinster Rugby Awards Ball 2015

Scoil Chonglais, Baltinglass - Irish Independent Development School of the Year
Fiona Coghlan - Life Style Sports Special Merit Award
Dundalk RFC - On Field Achievement Award
Anne McInerney - RiverRock Outstanding Contribution to Leinster Rugby Award
Old Wesley RFC - Canterbury Senior Club of the Year
Ashbourne RFC - BDO Junior Club of the Year
Cistercian College Roscrea - Beauchamps Solicitors School of the Year
Johnny Moloney - Guinness Hall of Fame
Dominic Ryan - City Jet Tackle of the Year
Sean Cronin - Irish Independent Try of the Year
Jack Conan - Samsung Galaxy S6 Young Player of the Year
Sean Cronin - Bank of Ireland Players' Player of the Year
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought Nonu and Smith had the record for international caps together now or did I make that up?

Mad to think Jenno had that amazing career yet only 13 caps.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Dom Ryan - tackle of the year (no sniggering down the back). Was that the lion catching wildebeest style tackle? Almost balletic that one.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I thought Nonu and Smith had the record for international caps together now or did I make that up?

Mad to think Jenno had that amazing career yet only 13 caps.
He had some competition though, Keith Gleeson, David Wallace, Sean O'Brien
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oh yeah, I'm not saying he was robbed or anything. There were a couple of times when he should have been picked but for whatever reason he just didn't take to international rugby so not sure it would have made much difference.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oh yeah, I'm not saying he was robbed or anything. There were a couple of times when he should have been picked but for whatever reason he just didn't take to international rugby so not sure it would have made much difference.
A mate of mine went to dinner with him and have a few scoops with him afterwards as part of a business mentorship programme he was on. My mate wouldn't be a big rugby head but he said he was sound but when one coach got mentioned, Jenno got fairly sweary!

I said "Was it Declan Kidney?"

He said, "Yeah, that's the guy!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oh yeah, I'm not saying he was robbed or anything. There were a couple of times when he should have been picked but for whatever reason he just didn't take to international rugby so not sure it would have made much difference.
ah didnt think you were
He also got injured at some inopportune times
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I thought Nonu and Smith had the record for international caps together now or did I make that up?
No you were right - they did go ahead for a couple of weeks back in 2013 but BOD and Darce took their record back again and have held it since.

Here's the sequence:

50: BOD and Darce = 10/02/13
. ...Nonu and Smith = 28/09/13

51: Nonu and Smith =03/10/13
. ... BOD and Darce = 09/11/13

52: BOD and Darce = 24/11/13

53: BOD and Darce = 08/02/14

54: BOD and Darce = 22/02/14

55: BOD and Darce = 08/03/14

56: BOD and Darce = 15/03/14

52: Nonu and Smith = 07/06/14

53: Nonu and Smith = 14/06/14

54: Nonu and Smith = 06/09/14

55: Nonu and Smith = 13/09/14
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sometimes I think I'm lazy for not looking things up myself but why would I bother when Xanthippe can sort me out in such great detail?! Thanks!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I see women have stopped playing rugby throughout the province.
I have Bumbleflex
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Not a single Leinster player makes the Pro12 team of the season

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17304.ph ... h1fGS0d.97
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

COYBIB wrote:Not a single Leinster player makes the Pro12 team of the season

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/17304.ph ... h1fGS0d.97
Not surprising really.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

We had a terrible season and no one deserved a place on the pro 12 team of the year
Against the top 4 we had a
Win and Loss against Ospreys, the win being a dire kickfest 18-12
Draw and Loss against Glasgow
Loss and a Loss against Munster
Win and a Loss against Ulster

Our players just did not get out of third gear this year.
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Xanthippe wrote:
No you were right - they did go ahead for a couple of weeks back in 2013 but BOD and Darce took their record back again and have held it since.

Here's the sequence:

50: BOD and Darce = 10/02/13
. ...Nonu and Smith = 28/09/13

51: Nonu and Smith =03/10/13
. ... BOD and Darce = 09/11/13

52: BOD and Darce = 24/11/13

53: BOD and Darce = 08/02/14

54: BOD and Darce = 22/02/14

55: BOD and Darce = 08/03/14

56: BOD and Darce = 15/03/14

52: Nonu and Smith = 07/06/14

53: Nonu and Smith = 14/06/14

54: Nonu and Smith = 06/09/14

55: Nonu and Smith = 13/09/14
Meant to update this earlier
56: Nonu and Smith = 25/07/15

57: Nonu and Smith = 15/08/15

Those darn kiwis just can't leave BOD's records alone can they.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever