Leinster Squad 2015/2016

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Squad 2015/2016

Post by the spoofer »

I'd scan around to see what second rows were left out of world cup squads and try and get one of them. A 27/28 year old second row who hasn't made the squad could be inclined to make a move.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Just thinking of late signing options and wonder whether we shouldn't give SA scrum-half Hougaard a call. He must feel fairly pissed off to be ommited from Saffa Squad. Given current and, likely future increasing pressure from ANC and its supporters, there will be even more opposition to selection next season. He is aged 27 and has played wing for country also. Born in Natal and very easy to integrate.

We should ask about him, because somebody in Europe will and we have available an NIQ slot and little depth in reality. (Reds and Boss will not last till 2016-7) and Luke McG has not lit up the stage in any appearances. Nick McCarthy will have time as he is only 20.
Surely that'd just be delaying the problem though?
I'm a McGrath skeptic, but Hougaard would be a 2 year job at most, at which stage you'd be looking for another replacement. We need to give McGrath a good shot now, not stick him behind another 'older' international.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

goreyguy wrote:Adam Byrne isn't 6'4.

Isaac Boss starting over Luke McGrath would be an awful decision and it would show absolutely no forward thinking. Will be severely disappointed if it happens unless Luke is playing awfully.
He's certainly not far off it.
North is 6'4 and though hard to tell they look fairly close in this. http://www.sportsfile.com/id/904722/

Either way, give or take an inch the lad is a pure beast. Would be a great addition to our options if he could come through, him, Te'o, MCF & Isa in one backline would be nice and physical anyway.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

wixfjord wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Just thinking of late signing options and wonder whether we shouldn't give SA scrum-half Hougaard a call. He must feel fairly pissed off to be ommited from Saffa Squad. Given current and, likely future increasing pressure from ANC and its supporters, there will be even more opposition to selection next season. He is aged 27 and has played wing for country also. Born in Natal and very easy to integrate.

We should ask about him, because somebody in Europe will and we have available an NIQ slot and little depth in reality. (Reds and Boss will not last till 2016-7) and Luke McG has not lit up the stage in any appearances. Nick McCarthy will have time as he is only 20.
Surely that'd just be delaying the problem though?
I'm a McGrath skeptic, but Hougaard would be a 2 year job at most, at which stage you'd be looking for another replacement. We need to give McGrath a good shot now, not stick him behind another 'older' international.
A good idea to look at the fringe guys who lost out. If we needed a wing/fullback I would be on the phone to Israel Dagg.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ireland comes first so no way would we be given Bent as a favour, Joe wants him hes in

Team for Edinburgh will be very interesting, admittedly its away and one of the harder ones during RWC window But a telling decision to be made between Molony, McGrath, Reid, Byrne, Ringrose and Kelleher in one bracket and Denton, Boss, Darcy, Fanning and McGrath in the other
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ireland comes first so no way would we be given Bent as a favour, Joe wants him hes in

Team for Edinburgh will be very interesting, admittedly its away and one of the harder ones during RWC window But a telling decision to be made between Molony, McGrath, Reid, Byrne, Ringrose and Kelleher in one bracket and Denton, Boss, Darcy, Fanning and McGrath in the other
Are you putting 25 year old Noel Reid in with the young guns and 24 year old Mick McGrath in with the golden oldies? :)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't see it happening or anything but if we wanted to look at a second row on a short term deal, James Broadhurst missed out on the AB squad.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Ireland comes first so no way would we be given Bent as a favour, Joe wants him hes in

Are you putting 25 year old Noel Reid in with the young guns and 24 year old Mick McGrath in with the golden oldies? :)
Reid is younger than is competition and McGrath is older than his competition
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Reid is younger than is competition and McGrath is older than his competition
He's 24 with little game time behind him and has looked tasty any time he's played! Pretty arbitrary to put him in that bracket.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

admittedly he was inexperienced but Munster crucified him

IMO Kelleher has more potential
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

McFadden and either McGrath(24)/Byrne(21)/Kelleher(21) on the wing please. Although I believe Kelleher is injured atm.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:admittedly he was inexperienced but Munster crucified him

Don't be knocking our cut-price Rene Ranger.

I've got a funny feeling that Mick McGrath is the sort of chap who could score lots of tries for us in the Pro12 this year while not really making a dent in the European team. In any case, now that we've got Isa back at fullback [and Ferg on the other wing] there's buckets of experience and tackling in the back three ... we can totally take a punt in the last position on an excitement machine rather than a steady-as-she-goes type.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

hugonaut wrote:

I've got a funny feeling that Mick McGrath is the sort of chap who could score lots of tries for us in the Pro12 this year while not really making a dent in the European team. In any case, now that we've got Isa back at fullback [and Ferg on the other wing] there's buckets of experience and tackling in the back three ... we can totally take a punt in the last position on an excitement machine rather than a steady-as-she-goes type.
:shock:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:

Ha. I'm just back from recording bt. Where I compared him to a pacific Islander. Wind him up blindfolded and he'll find the tryline. Probably battering someone with a handoff on the way. Stereotypical PI players are not known for their defensive positional play.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

johng wrote:Ha. I'm just back from recording bt. Where I compared him to a pacific Islander. Wind him up blindfolded and he'll find the tryline. Probably battering someone with a handoff on the way. Stereotypical PI players are not known for their defensive positional play.
The Clontarf Alessana Tuilagi?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johng wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Ha. I'm just back from recording bt. Where I compared him to a pacific Islander. Wind him up blindfolded and he'll find the tryline. Probably battering someone with a handoff on the way. Stereotypical PI players are not known for their defensive positional play.
Cool, so BluesTalk is back this week?
Dont Panic!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Did I say that out loud?........
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Marty out for up to 6 weeks after foot surgery.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote:
He looks like a New Zealander alright - an extra from Lord of the Rings.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Marty out for up to 6 weeks after foot surgery.
4-8 weeks according to RTE, you hedging your bets? :D