Matts gone

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Matts gone

Postby leinster4life13 » May 28th, 2015, 5:27 pm

artaneboy wrote:
Do you think that Matt coached 'aimless kicking, etc? I'll take that contribution as an implicit admission that it was more than the coach's fault for our poor form.

And, yeah- it's really terrible that we lost in extra time (as a result of a shocking mistake) away from home to the three-times champions of Europe! Face it- it's really inconvenient that our chance to make final was finished by the player you canonised as the neglected saviour. In fairness to Ian- he never gives that impression and accepts his role and responsibility.

Yeah, otherwise Gops and Boss would never have started another game, if I was the Leinster coach and my 9 and ten kicked away that much possession every game that would be relegated to the A's for good for ignoring my gameplan, with maybe a few digs for good measure. it was obviously part of rugby messiah MOC's "gameplan", otherwise, why would he accept such obvious sabotage, the backline cancer emanating from 9/10, ultimately cost him his job. If my 9 and ten were playing me out of a job I would be seriously pissed off.

Mads didnt make a mistake, unfortunate execution(pass slipped as it left his hands) compounded by his support RUNNING AWAY FROM THE f%~king BALL, like SCHOOLBOYS, actually, not like schoolboys at all, they are better coached than to make such an elementary error. Mads is the best ten on these Islands, in fact he's probably the best ten this side of the English channel, its not his fault he was ensconced in a straightjacket and played out of positon for the past two years by a pig headed caveman of a coach.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
User avatar
leinster4life13
Mullet
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Location: Salivating over a Carlos Spencer highlight reel

Re: Matts gone

Postby Oldschool » May 28th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
And a month ago he was going to be Leinsters head coach next season. You are aware that something happening in the future doesn't actually change the past. This isn't Doctor Who

Good to see Leinsters average home attendence being up for the season though, we're going to need the money after the way the Union have screwed Leinster over RWC compensation.


So you were wrong?

and again of the games we are certain to have again next season - the pro 12 home games and european group home games our attendance was down this season, on average 1,974 in the pro 12 home games and 3,445 in europe.

this seasons home qf in europe covers up the drop in attendance figures as it's an extra high attendance game in the aviva we didn't have the season before.


We did better in one competition than another, than almost never happens apart from pretty much always.

At the end of the day, despite what was ultimately an unsuccessful season and some of the bandwagoners falling off the cart (good luck on saturday lads) our attendance numbers held steady and our season ticket sales held steady.

Matt can be blamed for many things, but Leinsters financial position (whatever it may be, negative or positive) is not one of them.

I'm not happy about how Leinster Rugby did away from the pitch last season as it happens - but I know who to blame for that and its not the Head Coach. Neither Matt nor Joe took much interest in the business side of things unless it directly impacted on the squad.

So Dave - The €250000 or thereabouts question for you.
Now that it's happened - why do you think Matt left the building (so to speak)?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10015
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby Dave Cahill » May 28th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Oldschool wrote:So Dave - The €250000 or thereabouts question for you.
Now that it's happened - why do you think Matt left the building (so to speak)?


From what I've heard, its as boringly prosaic as most of the press reports on the matter reported it to be - there usually isn't a smoking gun. Leinster were okay with him finishing out his contract, he wanted more security, Leinster weren't okay with that, he had received some feelers that would provide more security, Leinster were okay with him leaving to pursue them. All very blah. Nothing is expected from any of the 'ECC provinces' next season anyway - its RWC and the three-in-a-row 24/7 until april. In a way the PGB were on a win-win anyway because of that - perfect time to let a regime run down with low impact - perfect time for a new coach to bed in without the weight of expectations
Last edited by Dave Cahill on May 28th, 2015, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20573
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Matts gone

Postby artaneboy » May 28th, 2015, 6:19 pm

leinster4life13 wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Do you think that Matt coached 'aimless kicking, etc? I'll take that contribution as an implicit admission that it was more than the coach's fault for our poor form.

And, yeah- it's really terrible that we lost in extra time (as a result of a shocking mistake) away from home to the three-times champions of Europe! Face it- it's really inconvenient that our chance to make final was finished by the player you canonised as the neglected saviour. In fairness to Ian- he never gives that impression and accepts his role and responsibility.

Yeah, otherwise Gops and Boss would never have started another game, if I was the Leinster coach and my 9 and ten kicked away that much possession every game that would be relegated to the A's for good for ignoring my gameplan, with maybe a few digs for good measure. it was obviously part of rugby messiah MOC's "gameplan", otherwise, why would he accept such obvious sabotage, the backline cancer emanating from 9/10, ultimately cost him his job. If my 9 and ten were playing me out of a job I would be seriously pissed off.

Mads didnt make a mistake, unfortunate execution(pass slipped as it left his hands) compounded by his support RUNNING AWAY FROM THE f%~king BALL, like SCHOOLBOYS, actually, not like schoolboys at all, they are better coached than to make such an elementary error. Mads is the best ten on these Islands, in fact he's probably the best ten this side of the English channel, its not his fault he was ensconced in a straightjacket and played out of positon for the past two years by a pig headed caveman of a coach.

Temper, temper... I agree, it's just not fair that the player you used as your icon of Matt's unfairness in selection is the one who screws up our chance of a ERCC final. But that's life and life has a way of biting you in the arse. It's called hubris! Yours not Ian's...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby Raydollard » May 28th, 2015, 7:06 pm

sorry to add to the tedium but aimless kicking includes the simple drop goal from in front of the post that a truly great outhalf missed which would have won the match for us.
Raydollard
Graduate
 
Posts: 623
Joined: September 19th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby leinster4life13 » May 28th, 2015, 7:11 pm

artaneboy wrote:Temper, temper... I agree, it's just not fair that the player you used as your icon of Matt's unfairness in selection is the one who screws up our chance of a ERCC final. But that's life and life has a way of biting you in the arse. It's called hubris! Yours not Ian's...

LOL, its hard to keep a cool head when I think of Leinsters style of play, I felt like Brian Moore all season, nothing annoys me more than kicking away possession, you can badly execute, be a sh!t player etc etc, but to just give up and give the ball away, cheaply, to the opposition is unforgivable, its my number one bug bear in rugby, you dont kick the ball to the oppositon, kick long and in behind, if you must, as a last ditch exit strategy, but never kick frequently, or as badly, as we did last season.









Also Mads didnt "screw up our chance" of getting to the ERCC final, MOC's tactics and selection did that. Toulon were on an off day and we could and should have dicked them by running that fat lump Basteraud into the ground, along with their old farts up front. Instead we get into a slugging match and were on course to lose anyway, when Mads tried to win the game for us, anyone who tries to win, who plays with BALLS deserves at pat on the back, cowards and proponents of negative rugby deserve a bullet in the caliber of P45.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
User avatar
leinster4life13
Mullet
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Location: Salivating over a Carlos Spencer highlight reel

Re: Matts gone

Postby simonokeeffe » May 28th, 2015, 9:47 pm

are the pro 12 attendance figures from last year regular season only or include the playoffs?
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16084
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Matts gone

Postby cormac » May 28th, 2015, 10:17 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:are the pro 12 attendance figures from last year regular season only or include the playoffs?


Including all home game total crowds were down by 26k.

2013/14 - 338,796 (16 games, 14 RDS, 2 Aviva)

2014/15 - 312,460 (15 games, 12 RDS, 3 Aviva)
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4676
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Matts gone

Postby artaneboy » May 28th, 2015, 11:56 pm

leinster4life13 wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Temper, temper... I agree, it's just not fair that the player you used as your icon of Matt's unfairness in selection is the one who screws up our chance of a ERCC final. But that's life and life has a way of biting you in the arse. It's called hubris! Yours not Ian's...

LOL, its hard to keep a cool head when I think of Leinsters style of play, I felt like Brian Moore all season, nothing annoys me more than kicking away possession, you can badly execute, be a sh!t player etc etc, but to just give up and give the ball away, cheaply, to the opposition is unforgivable, its my number one bug bear in rugby, you dont kick the ball to the oppositon, kick long and in behind, if you must, as a last ditch exit strategy, but never kick frequently, or as badly, as we did last season.









Also Mads didnt "screw up our chance" of getting to the ERCC final, MOC's tactics and selection did that. Toulon were on an off day and we could and should have dicked them by running that fat lump Basteraud into the ground, along with their old farts up front. Instead we get into a slugging match and were on course to lose anyway, when Mads tried to win the game for us, anyone who tries to win, who plays with BALLS deserves at pat on the back, cowards and proponents of negative rugby deserve a bullet in the caliber of P45.

Jaysus, that sand castle of rationales to blame Matt on everything up to global warming is beyond parody.

You've no class and no judgement. Good luck.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby Donny B. » May 29th, 2015, 12:44 am

Dave Cahill wrote:
Oldschool wrote:So Dave - The €250000 or thereabouts question for you.
Now that it's happened - why do you think Matt left the building (so to speak)?


From what I've heard, its as boringly prosaic as most of the press reports on the matter reported it to be - there usually isn't a smoking gun. Leinster were okay with him finishing out his contract, he wanted more security, Leinster weren't okay with that, he had received some feelers that would provide more security, Leinster were okay with him leaving to pursue them. All very blah. Nothing is expected from any of the 'ECC provinces' next season anyway - its RWC and the three-in-a-row 24/7 until april. In a way the PGB were on a win-win anyway because of that - perfect time to let a regime run down with low impact - perfect time for a new coach to bed in without the weight of expectations


Really Dave? MOC was looking for a contract extension on the back of the season Leinster dropped out of the top four in the league for the first time in 10 years?
Nah, sorry, not buying it.
Maybe "your sources" are holding the public line, but the man was clearly sacked.
I've heard from several sources that the move was instigated by the PGB directly following the Toulon defeat and it was ultimately borne through.
They just didn't think he was doing a good enough job.

And yet again, this whole it's a RWC season so who cares about the Irish provinces argument is accepted as a fair accompli.
Remind me again who won the HC in 2008 and 2012?
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26630
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Matts gone

Postby COYBIB » May 29th, 2015, 12:47 am

Well I know from my small group that Leinster will have an extra €1,000+ in their bank account next season that they wouldn't have had if MOC was in charge, and that's just 4 or 5 people...considering the average attendance a couple of seasons ago was over 20,000....

His sacking may well be the difference between signing Matt D'Arcy or Julian Savea for next season. (preferably I'd have both - and obviously this is tongue in cheek).
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
User avatar
COYBIB
Enlightened
 
Posts: 831
Joined: February 27th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby goreyguy » May 29th, 2015, 12:54 am

I think it's pretty obvious he was sacked, maybe him looking for an extension was the catalyst
goreyguy
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 5851
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby Dave Cahill » May 29th, 2015, 1:08 am

Donny B. wrote:
Really Dave? MOC was looking for a contract extension on the back of the season Leinster dropped out of the top four in the league for the first time in 10 years?
Nah, sorry, not buying it.
Maybe "your sources" are holding the public line, but the man was clearly sacked.
I've heard from several sources that the move was instigated by the PGB directly following the Toulon defeat and it was ultimately borne through.
They just didn't think he was doing a good enough job.

And yet again, this whole it's a RWC season so who cares about the Irish provinces argument is accepted as a fair accompli.
Remind me again who won the HC in 2008 and 2012?


I'm happy enough with what I was told - you can believe what you choose to believe, its of little relevance either way as the guy has gone.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20573
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Matts gone

Postby Donny B. » May 29th, 2015, 12:52 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Really Dave? MOC was looking for a contract extension on the back of the season Leinster dropped out of the top four in the league for the first time in 10 years?
Nah, sorry, not buying it.
Maybe "your sources" are holding the public line, but the man was clearly sacked.
I've heard from several sources that the move was instigated by the PGB directly following the Toulon defeat and it was ultimately borne through.
They just didn't think he was doing a good enough job.

And yet again, this whole it's a RWC season so who cares about the Irish provinces argument is accepted as a fair accompli.
Remind me again who won the HC in 2008 and 2012?


I'm happy enough with what I was told - you can believe what you choose to believe, its of little relevance either way as the guy has gone.


C'est la vie.
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26630
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Matts gone

Postby artaneboy » May 29th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Really Dave? MOC was looking for a contract extension on the back of the season Leinster dropped out of the top four in the league for the first time in 10 years?
Nah, sorry, not buying it.
Maybe "your sources" are holding the public line, but the man was clearly sacked.
I've heard from several sources that the move was instigated by the PGB directly following the Toulon defeat and it was ultimately borne through.
They just didn't think he was doing a good enough job.

And yet again, this whole it's a RWC season so who cares about the Irish provinces argument is accepted as a fair accompli.
Remind me again who won the HC in 2008 and 2012?


I'm happy enough with what I was told - you can believe what you choose to believe, its of little relevance either way as the guy has gone.

...and there we have it. Why the man cannot be thanked for his efforts and wished well, without either excusing all his errors or heaping the sins of the world on his back on the way out, I don't know.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby Oldschool » May 29th, 2015, 1:03 pm

artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Really Dave? MOC was looking for a contract extension on the back of the season Leinster dropped out of the top four in the league for the first time in 10 years?
Nah, sorry, not buying it.
Maybe "your sources" are holding the public line, but the man was clearly sacked.
I've heard from several sources that the move was instigated by the PGB directly following the Toulon defeat and it was ultimately borne through.
They just didn't think he was doing a good enough job.

And yet again, this whole it's a RWC season so who cares about the Irish provinces argument is accepted as a fair accompli.
Remind me again who won the HC in 2008 and 2012?


I'm happy enough with what I was told - you can believe what you choose to believe, its of little relevance either way as the guy has gone.

...and there we have it. Why the man cannot be thanked for his efforts and wished well, without either excusing all his errors or heaping the sins of the world on his back on the way out, I don't know.

Bertie Ahern should hire you!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 10015
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby artaneboy » May 29th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Oldschool wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I'm happy enough with what I was told - you can believe what you choose to believe, its of little relevance either way as the guy has gone.

...and there we have it. Why the man cannot be thanked for his efforts and wished well, without either excusing all his errors or heaping the sins of the world on his back on the way out, I don't know.

Bertie Ahern should hire you!

Yeah, thanks and Senator McCarthy might have looked for a few of you on his payroll...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2567
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Re: Matts gone

Postby leinster4life13 » May 30th, 2015, 11:49 am

artaneboy wrote:

Jaysus, that sand castle of rationales to blame Matt on everything up to global warming is beyond parody.

You've no class and no judgement. Good luck.

No judgement, LOL, our style of play and selection (which led to the poor results) is all on the coach, he is the most expendable and easily replaced cog, its not personal, its the reality of being a professional coach. Its really not a big deal, happens in the AIL, happens in practically every setting, but for some reason people think we are above pinning the blame where it obviously lies, because we are in an Irish pro rugby setting, which is too classy for that sort of thing. MOC failed end of story, he had to go, its not even up for debate at this point.
As for not having class, its the internet, I can be blunt, I dont have to give a sh!t about offending someones sensibilities, thats the beauty of an unfiltered platform.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
User avatar
leinster4life13
Mullet
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Location: Salivating over a Carlos Spencer highlight reel

Re: Matts gone

Postby BlueWheels » September 9th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Matt O'Connor has been appointed attacking coach of the Queensland Reds ................ You really have to admire the Aussie sense of humor :D :D :D

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 02257.html
User avatar
BlueWheels
Bookworm
 
Posts: 156
Joined: August 17th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Location: Looking over the fence

Re: Matts gone

Postby Dave Cahill » September 9th, 2015, 3:24 pm

You should be working for Reeling in the Years!
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20573
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot], ronk and 5 guests