Academy 2015-2016

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Academy 2015-2016

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:Hope those who've missed out can pick up contracts at other provinces. Looks like a strong intake.
Greg Jones, David Aspill and Matt Byrne are particularly unfortunate based on their JWC performances to date. Competition is one valid reason, and Jones and Aspill should certainly pick up Academy places in other Provinces, but Leinster are sorely lacking pace on the wing.

Are these decisions Nucifora-influenced, as previously rumoured? If so, let's hope that non-home Province Academy places are properly financed. Living at home on €8k p.a. is one thing, doing the same in digs in Belfast or Galway is a very differnt ballgame.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
cormac wrote:Hope those who've missed out can pick up contracts at other provinces. Looks like a strong intake.
Greg Jones, David Aspill and Matt Byrne are particularly unfortunate based on their JWC performances to date. Competition is one valid reason, and Jones and Aspill should certainly pick up Academy places in other Provinces, but Leinster are sorely lacking pace on the wing.

Are these decisions Nucifora-influenced, as previously rumoured? If so, let's hope that non-home Province Academy places are properly financed. Living at home on €8k p.a. is one thing, doing the same in digs in Belfast or Galway is a very differnt ballgame.
pretty sure the provinces arent dumb enough not to arrange housing and things for these guys

think we always have to remember that in general its about two times easier to get into the Ireland u20 team than Leinster academy

that said some of these guys might get in next year or theyll land on their feet somewhere else
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

pretty sure the provinces arent dumb enough not to arrange housing and things for these guys

think we always have to remember that in general its about two times easier to get into the Ireland u20 team than Leinster academy

that said some of these guys might get in next year or theyll land on their feet somewhere else
None of these will make it in next year. Gotta hope they get picked up elsewhere. Youd assume Byrne, Aspil & Jones will get offers.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This may astonish people, but not everyone wants to be a professional rugby player.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:This may astonish people, but not everyone wants to be a professional rugby player.
slight tangent but Im reading the book Retired about ex footballers, amazing the amount of high paid pros who just stop playing football on big money in early or mid 20s, but also a lot of guys in leagues 3 and 4 of England who want to stay there as they make far more money working a normal job plus part time football money than playing full time in 2nd division

Applying that to rugby, English championship is enough money to get by/so you can say/be a fulltime pro but not much more, for most other Irish based guys theyre looking at no money from rugby 18-20, 3 year academy deal on 8k p/a from say 21-24, 1 or 2 year development deal on 15-25k a year, so they could be 27 before they even get up to the average industrial wage. You kind of need either a lot of support elsewhere or no other commitments (dependents) to take that on

Not to go full Marxist but there is slight class bias in the system
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I would hope that the lads in the 18-24 bracket are being given every opportunity/encouraged to go to college or do an apprenticeship.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

domhnallj wrote:I would hope that the lads in the 18-24 bracket are being given every opportunity/encouraged to go to college or do an apprenticeship.
they are.. I don't think any current academy player isn't in college, mostly part time but they are all working away at something afaik.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

We could really do with producing three backs with the talent level of James Ryan, Andrew Porter & Max Deegan.
There is a stark gap between the talent level of forwards being produced by the system and talent level of backs.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Ripe pickings for Pat Lamb following Leinster ACademy announcement. I'm staggered that Greg Jones in particular has not been included. He could switch college to NUIG as part of any Connacht. But Aspil,Kennedy, Abeladze, Bollard & Coyle could also be targets. Less players in the Academy for 2016/2017 and I think this follows a reduction in numbers from the previous season as well. Are these Dawson inspired cutbacks or has Nucifora had a hand in it?
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

rdsblue wrote:Ripe pickings for Pat Lamb following Leinster ACademy announcement. I'm staggered that Greg Jones in particular has not been included. He could switch college to NUIG as part of any Connacht. But Aspil,Kennedy, Abeladze, Bollard & Coyle could also be targets. Less players in the Academy for 2016/2017 and I think this follows a reduction in numbers from the previous season as well. Are these Dawson inspired cutbacks or has Nucifora had a hand in it?
Jones was a victim of numbers in the backrow, if they included him they'd have 5 backrows in the academy. Which is too much. It came down to him or Deegan, easy call there. Aspil lost out to Connors, deservedly so.

Smaller Academy probably has to do with Nucifora, smaller academy hopefully means its easier to keep players at leinster.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Missed out on that announcement.

Looks like GG got it spot on well in advance.

I have heard of offers from Ulster for some of our players. Hard to do it on the low wages away from home without a big handout from family. Which is not always available.

Edit: Ah. I see RTB has already made that point at the top of the page
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

All year 1 academy players signed 1 year contracts.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

goreyguy wrote:All year 1 academy players signed 1 year contracts.
And so it begins - this is the new Nucifora plan in action isn't it?

Our players are no longer guaranteed a three year placement - they have to 'earn' their second and third years. Wonder how that will impact the actual QQI/FETAC programme all young players go through
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Xanthippe wrote:

Our players are no longer guaranteed a three year placement - they have to 'earn' their second and third years. Wonder how that will impact the actual QQI/FETAC programme all young players go through
Yeah, should allow poaching to occur a lot easier but may force leinster into playing some lads at an earlier age to keep them in the province. Also increases costs on provinces. Not a fan of it.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

goreyguy wrote:We could really do with producing three backs with the talent level of James Ryan, Andrew Porter & Max Deegan.
There is a stark gap between the talent level of forwards being produced by the system and talent level of backs.
Conor O'Brien has all the tools, and Keenan looks to have a bit about him. Byrne and Carbery are there as well obviously.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

leinsterforever wrote:
goreyguy wrote:We could really do with producing three backs with the talent level of James Ryan, Andrew Porter & Max Deegan.
Conor O'Brien has all the tools, and Keenan looks to have a bit about him. Byrne and Carbery are there as well obviously.
Don't think any of those 4 have the same talent level as the three forwards I mentioned, Ringrose is the only back produced recently who was of similar talent.

O'Brien has all the tools but needs to develop his skills to another level to be a top level 12.
Keenan looks good at this level, but needs to develop more physically and skillwise to be a pro. Not sure he has top end pace.
Byrne needs to rediscover his form, which may be more down to injuries than anything else. If he is as good as hoped, no reason he should be behind Marsh much longer.
Carbery closest to the forwards i've mentioned, but questions around ability to control game at pro level remain.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

rdsblue wrote:Ripe pickings for Pat Lamb following Leinster ACademy announcement. I'm staggered that Greg Jones in particular has not been included. He could switch college to NUIG as part of any Connacht. But Aspil,Kennedy, Abeladze, Bollard & Coyle could also be targets. Less players in the Academy for 2016/2017 and I think this follows a reduction in numbers from the previous season as well. Are these Dawson inspired cutbacks or has Nucifora had a hand in it?
Here the academy intake/graduation numbers since its introduction in 08/09.

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

goreyguy wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
Don't think any of those 4 have the same talent level as the three forwards I mentioned, Ringrose is the only back produced recently who was of similar talent.

O'Brien has all the tools but needs to develop his skills to another level to be a top level 12.
Keenan looks good at this level, but needs to develop more physically and skillwise to be a pro. Not sure he has top end pace.
Byrne needs to rediscover his form, which may be more down to injuries than anything else. If he is as good as hoped, no reason he should be behind Marsh much longer.
Carbery closest to the forwards i've mentioned, but questions around ability to control game at pro level remain.
I don't think O'Brien is too far away when it comes to skills. He's good at beating defenders with footwork. He pulled of some nice offloads in the UBL final, and he's put in some good passes for the U20s. I haven't seen him kick much but I believe he's played some 10 in his time, so he's probably pretty up to speed there as well. To me he looks like someone who could do really well in either centre position
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

leinsterforever wrote:
I don't think O'Brien is too far away when it comes to skills. He's good at beating defenders with footwork. He pulled of some nice offloads in the UBL final, and he's put in some good passes for the U20s. I haven't seen him kick much but I believe he's played some 10 in his time, so he's probably pretty up to speed there as well. To me he looks like someone who could do really well in either centre position
I'm not downplaying his talent, he is a talented centre and I have high hopes for him. He can certainly add to his skill level though.
I think he can get better with his distribution from 12 and his general decision making and creativity from that position. He primarly has played 13 this season for Tarf so thats to be expected. And he can certainly add to his kicking game.

As I said for a truely top level 12 he has things he can improve upon. He is a level below Ryan/Deegan/Porter/Ringrose for me but with the potential to be a very good player if he gets the right coaching and develops his game and skill level further.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:

its interesting about the FETAC stuff

it is good for the actual players in that it increases their bargaining power/rights should offers come in from elsewhere, and for the province if they know someone is not going to make it after 2 years they dont need to keep them around for a third