Moderator: moderators

Leoslovechild
Mullet

Re: Academy 2015-2016

Post by Leoslovechild »

Armchair wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:
Vakh Abdaladze(Prop)
Is he good enough for an academy place? I'm only basing this on that he is third or fourth choice in his position in the Under 20's. I've never seen him play.
Yeah think he is, has been playing a good bit of senior rugby as well seems to have the toughness go it as well. Would gave him ahead of Hefernan now and a far better scrummager
He's been excellent for Tarf this year
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote: Heffernan had a better season that many assume and is spending the summer in NZ looking for further development. Don't write him out for a moment. He may have lazy moments but he has a core of 'never give-up' and he has the physique to survive. May develop more like Mike Ross than Cian Healy, but that wouldn't be a bad future!
He seems to me to be pretty soft. Not sure either he or Loughman are the answer to the depth concerns at TH going forward.
I'd see if Porter could convert to TH along with bringing Vakh in.

Personally i'd be placing the academy props at either Lansdowne or Clontarf, they seem to do a good job at developing props.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Good to hear about Abdaladze. Heard there was expressions of interest around Deegan from a few places. You'd imagine if we don't pick him up that the likes of Connacht and Ulster would be after him like a shot.

Forgot about Heffernan. Hope he makes it but doubt it at this stage. Wouldn't be the worst thing if he went off somewhere like France or England and spent a season or two at the coal face and then if good enough come back to us.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I still reckon Heffernan has it in him to be a Michael Bent style back up player in a few years. Not ideal but not to be sniffed at either.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I still reckon Heffernan has it in him to be a Michael Bent style back up player in a few years. Not ideal but not to be sniffed at either.
We just need one of the props in the academy to develop into a pro 12 level TH, anything more than that will be a bonus.
Last edited by goreyguy on June 15th, 2016, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ireland u20 today:
James Bollard, Vakh A starting. Andrew Porter & Adam Coyle on the bench.
James Ryan on the bench.
Greg Jones starts at 6 again, Max Deegan on the bench.
Jimmy O'Brien starts at 13.
Hugo Keenan & Terry Kennedy start on the wing.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I remember Adam Coyle making a big impact when he came on in the 6 nations. He looks another scrummager with potential but its just bad luck that there are so many good U20 tightheads this year. Big step up to senior level but even so, Leinster and Ireland should have an abundance of props in a few years.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

dropkick wrote:I remember Adam Coyle making a big impact when he came on in the 6 nations. He looks another scrummager with potential but its just bad luck that there are so many good U20 tightheads this year. Big step up to senior level but even so, Leinster and Ireland should have an abundance of props in a few years.
we need a young tighthead to emerge with Moore leaving & Ross retiring.

Fogarty/Dempsey made a poor evaluation with Heffernan IMO.
Loughman is still a work in progress after converting from LH IMO and there is no guarantee he will be upto the task at TH.

Right now it's unclear if Vakh will make the academy, IMO he should.
If Porter could covert to TH successfully then we would be in a very healthy situation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

goreyguy wrote:
dropkick wrote:I remember Adam Coyle making a big impact when he came on in the 6 nations. He looks another scrummager with potential but its just bad luck that there are so many good U20 tightheads this year. Big step up to senior level but even so, Leinster and Ireland should have an abundance of props in a few years.

Loughman is still a work in progress after converting from LH IMO and there is no guarantee he will be upto the task at TH.

If Porter could covert to TH successfully then we would be in a very healthy situation.

Heffernan and Loughman are good ball carriers in the loose, so wonder if Leinster are trying to turn good ball carriers into good scrummagers rather than just pick the best scrummagers for tighthead.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

dropkick wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

Heffernan and Loughman are good ball carriers in the loose, so wonder if Leinster are trying to turn good ball carriers into good scrummagers rather than just pick the best scrummagers for tighthead.
They aren't producing many top tier TH scrummagers though, if they were i'm sure they wouldn't be overlooked,.

Both Heffernan & Loughman were 1st choice at their position as u20's and I think the attempt to convert Loughman to TH is a smart move it's just going to take time for him to develop and to see if it will be a success.
Below that Vakh is known for his work around the park and is a work in progress scrummaging wise, which is to be expected given his inexperience.
Coyle seems like a decent scrummager but he is behind 4 other TH's at this level, so he is hardly an elite prospect.

Trenier & Phelan both didn't play for the u20's, although Trenier came close before he got injured. They are both highly rated in their provinces now, more so than Heffernan. Neither were elite prospects though who leinster ignored.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

[
He's been excellent for Tarf this year[/quote]

I thought I heard Vakh is underage again next season for U20?
Saroka the other prop at Clontarf is a class act, surprised he was never picked up by one of the academies.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

He isnt underage again next year. Already 20. Struggled badly yesterday with that georgian scrum but thats no surprise.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Adam Coyle made a big impact in the scrum again when he came on. He looks like a powerful scrummager and showed why he was ahead of Abdaladze during the 6 nations.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

dropkick wrote:Adam Coyle made a big impact in the scrum again when he came on. He looks like a powerful scrummager and showed why he was ahead of Abdaladze during the 6 nations.
Think more of the impact was Porter replacing Bollard.
Will be guess work really as no one will know how Vakh would have done with Porter or Coyle with Bollard. Not to mention Vakh has been playing TH for a year, Coyle has much more experience at the position but is a much worse athlete.
I'd be surprised if Coyle bypassed Vakh on the bench for the semi final.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought Abdeladze was excellent around the pitch and in fairness to him the Georgian prop was incredibly good. Not saying it was a blip or anything but just that I like the look of him and can't imagine there are too many other looseheads out there who could give him such a hard time.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Academy announced:

Year Three:
Ross Byrne(Outhalf)
Ian Fitzpatrick(Wing)
Nick McCarthy(Scrumhalf)
Rory O'Loughlin(Centre)
Peadar Timmins(Backrow)

Year Two:
Joey Carberry(Outhalf)
Oisin Heffernan(TH Prop)
Jeremy Loughman(TH Prop)
Sean McNulty(Hooker)
Josh Murphy(Backrow)
David O'Connor(Lock)
Charlie Rock(Scrumhalf)

Year One:
Will Connors(Backrow)
Max Deegan(Backrow)
Hugo Keenan(Wing)
Conor O'Brien(Centre)
Jimmy O'Brien(Centre)
Andrew Porter(LH Prop)
Jack Power(Fullback)
James Ryan(Lock)

Brewer/Crosbie confirmed to be leaving, Dardis confirmed to senior squad.
Greg Jones is the biggest absentee, no players from u18/u19 squads.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Hope those who've missed out can pick up contracts at other provinces. Looks like a strong intake.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Prop
Oisin Heffernan(Year 2/TH Prop)
Jeremy Loughman(Year 2/LH-TH Prop)
Andrew Porter(Year 1/LH Prop)

Hooker
Sean McNulty(Year 1)

Lock
David O'Connor(Year 2)
James Ryan(Year 1)

Backrow
Peadar Timmins(Year 3)
Josh Murphy(Year 2)
Will Connors(Year 1)
Max Deegan(Year 1)

Scrumhalf
Nick McCarthy(Year 3)
Charlie Rock(Year 2)

Outhalf
Ross Byrne(Year 3)
Joey Carbery(Year 2)

Centre
Rory O'Loughlin(Year 3)
Conor O'Brien(Year 1)
Jimmy O'Brien(Year 1)

Wing
Ian Fitzpatrick(Year 3)
Hugo Keenan(Year 1)

Fullback
Jack Power(Year 1)
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Any one know if any of the other provinces have announced their academies yet?

Shame that Coyle, Jones and Abdaladze didn't make it but seems like a seriously strong group this season. Seriously excited about the likes of Ryan, Porter and Deegan.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

sunshiner1 wrote:Any one know if any of the other provinces have announced their academies yet?
They're waiting for the scraps.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.