A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Academy 2015-2016

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
goreyguy wrote:We could really do with producing three backs with the talent level of James Ryan, Andrew Porter & Max Deegan.
There is a stark gap between the talent level of forwards being produced by the system and talent level of backs.
I don't think O'Brien is too far away when it comes to skills. He's good at beating defenders with footwork. He pulled of some nice offloads in the UBL final, and he's put in some good passes for the U20s. I haven't seen him kick much but I believe he's played some 10 in his time, so he's probably pretty up to speed there as well. To me he looks like someone who could do really well in either centre position
Agree that O'Brien looks to have the necessary skills to play 12 at Pro12. His lines of running and off loads against guys who are playing at higher level in SH (both against NZ and Argentina) has not been found wanting. All he needs is good quality i.e. higher that UBL, and he will come through.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It would be a shame if some of those players don't make it into some other province. Jones looks a good player, Byrne has been solid, I've been impressed by Coyle and think with a bit of conditioning he could become very good, Kennedy was excellent against Georgia. Very fast and a good passer. Obviously he is lightweight but so is Matt Healy. I'm happy to see Power make it.

Jimmy O'Brien hasn't really stood out for the U20s but you can see he has potential.

Re the number of academy players being limited to 20. Might it have something to do with the doubling of the academy wages?
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

dropkick wrote:It would be a shame if some of those players don't make it into some other province. Jones looks a good player, Byrne has been solid, I've been impressed by Coyle and think with a bit of conditioning he could become very good, Kennedy was excellent against Georgia. Very fast and a good passer. Obviously he is lightweight but so is Matt Healy. I'm happy to see Power make it.

Jimmy O'Brien hasn't really stood out for the U20s but you can see he has potential.

Re the number of academy players being limited to 20. Might it have something to do with the doubling of the academy wages?
Yeah academy size dictated by finance, I agree re Jimmy O'Brien and likely not a guaranteed starter for UCD next season either so the one year contracts in academy won't allow players stay in cruise control mode. Conor O' Brien looks decent and has performed very well at club senior level as has Ryan,Deegan and Porter. Power hasn't played a lot of rugby the last two years and definetleyngets a spot on reputation rather than on merit, lucky for him Peter Smyth is in charge. Coyle a victim of numbers and probably because he is in a lower club not condoning but if he was with a so called more fashionable club his conditioning especially would have been far better, hopefully he impresses next season but a few good props around at the moment. Coyle could end up in Connacht but decent props there as well
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I dont think we would have short on 80k per annum for the academy budget; if we have the money for attempted NIQ signings left over, Douglas compo, savings on Teo, its there
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The academy wage is very low, but how much are their costs - do LR cover or supplement rent and food for example? Do academy players get match fees when they play in the AIL? Are there many other third level courses than come with an 8k stipend? We can talk about the low value of an academy contract, but if you had no costs - or lower costs than other third level students, then its actually a pretty sweet deal
I have Bumbleflex
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Dave Cahill wrote:The academy wage is very low, but how much are their costs - do LR cover or supplement rent and food for example? Do academy players get match fees when they play in the AIL? Are there many other third level courses than come with an 8k stipend? We can talk about the low value of an academy contract, but if you had no costs - or lower costs than other third level students, then its actually a pretty sweet deal
Would agree €8k for a 20 year old in college is not a bad deal, no AIL Fees but colleges offer full scholarships, partial scholarships and in some cases a weekly living expense and subsidised accomadation. Academy is an apprenticeship and for about 20 hours a week as a young lad nothing shabby about it.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Dave Cahill wrote:The academy wage is very low, but how much are their costs - do LR cover or supplement rent and food for example? Do academy players get match fees when they play in the AIL? Are there many other third level courses than come with an 8k stipend? We can talk about the low value of an academy contract, but if you had no costs - or lower costs than other third level students, then its actually a pretty sweet deal
Also the likes of Peter Smyth and new talent managers are funded by IRFU not directly by Leinster
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The restriction is more about size than money. To adequately provide all aspects of development including S&C, Nuitrition, Skills, Analysis, Fitness and Game appreciation for 20-24 players at different stages of development, takes all the time available of all the professional staff. Add in that the Academy Players spent more and more time training with Senior Squad and it is fairly evident that space and time are the main restrictions.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Armchair wrote:
dropkick wrote:It would be a shame if some of those players don't make it into some other province. Jones looks a good player, Byrne has been solid, I've been impressed by Coyle and think with a bit of conditioning he could become very good, Kennedy was excellent against Georgia. Very fast and a good passer. Obviously he is lightweight but so is Matt Healy. I'm happy to see Power make it.

Yeah academy size dictated by finance, I agree re Jimmy O'Brien and likely not a guaranteed starter for UCD next season either so the one year contracts in academy won't allow players stay in cruise control mode. Conor O' Brien looks decent and has performed very well at club senior level as has Ryan,Deegan and Porter. Power hasn't played a lot of rugby the last two years and definetleyngets a spot on reputation rather than on merit, lucky for him Peter Smyth is in charge. Coyle a victim of numbers and probably because he is in a lower club not condoning but if he was with a so called more fashionable club his conditioning especially would have been far better, hopefully he impresses next season but a few good props around at the moment. Coyle could end up in Connacht but decent props there as well
Do the lads playing UBL not get match fees up to 3k per year or have those rules changes on UBL players receiving money
Conor O'Brien has played a lot for Clontarf at 13 & 14 in the last 2 seasons and has shown a lot of the tools needed but clearly as with all players there are work-ons
Next season will be different for him even at UBL level as he will very much be a known quantity
Heard Power has joined Clontarf for next season, would be good to see Power, O'Brien and Carbery in the same backline at UBL level but I wouldnt be surprised to see Carbery fasttracked to fringe rabo squad.
Pretty sure the academy players receiving a housing allowance also but could be wrong
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Armchair wrote:

Coyle is 4th choice irish TH, that isn't going to be good enough to make the Leinster academy.