Pro 12 15/16

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: Pro 12 15/16

Post by kermischocolate »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Ultimately the 'Destination Final' was a success. Nearly 35k with jerseys from every team in the Pro12 spotted.
The idea of a destination final works well assuming that an Irish team and/or a local team get through. Don't really have an issue with the idea and to some extent what you say is right in terms of the absolute attendance (I know the sponsors are delighted with it too). However, it could have been better - with another weekend that didn't clash with the marathon there may have been 10k more supporters there - easier access next time an more turn up ....... and hopefully the Leinster team too this time.... :(
An extra 10k supporters from where though?
I was surprised at the number of "neutrals" who still turned up rather than sulk at home.

Last year clashed with the Irish open and for a "sold out" event there were lots of empty seats.
Realistically at least once team is going to have to travel at short notice wherever it is.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

kermischocolate wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Ultimately the 'Destination Final' was a success. Nearly 35k with jerseys from every team in the Pro12 spotted.
The idea of a destination final works well assuming that an Irish team and/or a local team get through. Don't really have an issue with the idea and to some extent what you say is right in terms of the absolute attendance (I know the sponsors are delighted with it too). However, it could have been better - with another weekend that didn't clash with the marathon there may have been 10k more supporters there - easier access next time an more turn up ....... and hopefully the Leinster team too this time.... :(
I was surprised at the number of "neutrals" who still turned up rather than sulk at home.

Last year clashed with the Irish open and for a "sold out" event there were lots of empty seats.
Realistically at least once team is going to have to travel at short notice wherever it is.
I would argue that most of the Connacht supporters who wanted to made the trip even though they had a day less to get organised ..... needing "easier access" didn't seem to be a requirement for them ?.
Flying wedge
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

cormac wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
cormac wrote:
Isn't the Champions Cup Final in Murrayfield next season?
you sir are correct

I assume league final will be in Cardiff so (with no Welsh team in it)
Cardiff is hosting the Champions League final on June 3rd so there's no chance of Millennium Stadium being available the week before for a rugby match.
Cardiff City Stadium maybe - holds 33k. Ospreys are not fans of the destination final concept - prefer the old system of highest seed hosts etc so the Liberty is probably out of the running. In terms of Irish venues - Thomond or Lansdowne likely contenders. Italy would be excellent - especially somewhere like Parma etc
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

I assume league final will be in Cardiff so (with no Welsh team in it)[/quote]

Cardiff is hosting the Champions League final on June 3rd so there's no chance of Millennium Stadium being available the week before for a rugby match.[/quote]

Cardiff City Stadium maybe - holds 33k. Ospreys are not fans of the destination final concept - prefer the old system of highest seed hosts etc so the Liberty is probably out of the running. In terms of Irish venues - Thomond or Lansdowne likely contenders. Italy would be excellent - especially somewhere like Parma etc[/quote]

Agree on Parma but bloody awkward to get to from Dublin...unless they have direct flights ...was there in February for Zebre away and would definitely go back as it's a smashing place but had to go via Milan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

What about giving the final to the country that wins in the previous year
Say up to a max of two in a row and then if three in a row occurs to next best team/country.
Ie no country gets more than two consecutive finals.
Could even have that every COUNTRY gets a pop at least once every ten years.
Last edited by Oldschool on May 30th, 2016, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Obvious problem with Italy is no home team even with chance of making final so severe doubts over number of locals who'd go. And no ferries

@cormac guess its definitely LR and I think that would sell out
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

kermischocolate wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Of course they are and I'd add to that there were 160,000 people in Dublin at Bruce Springsteen. When you have to pay over 400quid for a flight and can't get a hotel I think that's a signficant barrier - not everyone has that money and not everyone has the time to go via via via with work/kids etc. I've heard a narrative about Connacht fans being more dedicated and wanting it more but just 2 or 3 years ago you'd have have got 2-3K at the Sportsground - I was happy for the supporters who've been there for the long haul but most of them in Murrayfield were event junkies or Irish neutrals - I know several who wore Leinster jersies the last time they were at a final in Edinburgh....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Of course they are and I'd add to that there were 160,000 people in Dublin at Bruce Springsteen. When you have to pay over 400quid for a flight and can't get a hotel I think that's a signficant barrier - not everyone has that money and not everyone has the time to go via via via with work/kids etc. I've heard a narrative about Connacht fans being more dedicated and wanting it more but just 2 or 3 years ago you'd have have got 2-3K at the Sportsground - I was happy for the supporters who've been there for the long haul but most of them in Murrayfield were event junkies or Irish neutrals - I know several who wore Leinster jersies the last time they were at a final in Edinburgh....
I'm not arguing who has the more dedicated set of fans- that's ridiculous!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

kermischocolate wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
I'm not arguing who has the more dedicated set of fans- that's ridiculous!
The fact that the pro 12 final is now a destination event that "event junkies" want to go to is as far as I'm concerned a positive. If it's a choice between going to an event or not going and giving out about a non event, I'll personally take the event every time but then again each to their own ?.
Flying wedge