A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
FLIP wrote:Mike Ross is playing again as player/scrum coach for Malahide. Got to feel a tad sorry for whoever comes up against him in the scrums!
I'm just glad he couldnt resist coaching
rather he was coaching young TH's in Leinster.. starting with Porter
Don't know how this ended up here but anyway, Rossie was at game last week with his son and was watched carefully. He does get called from time to lads by various former colleagues and never shys from giving advice if asked.

He's now a working man so stepping in on Fogs toes won't arise. Doing a Tuesday night session beside the sea is a different ballgame. Delighted to see him still involved in clubland.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

mildlyinterested wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
FLIP wrote:Mike Ross is playing again as player/scrum coach for Malahide. Got to feel a tad sorry for whoever comes up against him in the scrums!
I'm just glad he couldnt resist coaching
rather he was coaching young TH's in Leinster.. starting with Porter
Yeah it's a good point, but never the less, it's good to see him working on his coaching now, with a view to perhaps graduating to one of the provinces over time. It's always good to see experienced players go into coaching after retirement. We don't produce nearly enough home grown coaches.

Also, that role is filled right now by Fogarty, who is doing a surprisingly good job. I'm not sure if that's down to the talent available of if he is just a very good technician (I always wonder how qualified a hooker could be at expert scrummaging).
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

COYBIB wrote:
Yeah it's a good point, but never the less, it's good to see him working on his coaching now, with a view to perhaps graduating to one of the provinces over time. It's always good to see experienced players go into coaching after retirement. We don't produce nearly enough home grown coaches.

Also, that role is filled right now by Fogarty, who is doing a surprisingly good job. I'm not sure if that's down to the talent available of if he is just a very good technician (I always wonder how qualified a hooker could be at expert scrummaging).
He isn't going into coaching... huge difference between being a full time coach and what he is doing with Malahide.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

On this evening's performances this thread should certainly tip the hat to three former Leinster Academy players - John Cooney (Ulster), Tadgh Beirne (Llanelli) and Ian McKinley (Treviso). Great performances for all three and Beirne, in particular will have done his prospects of wearing a green jersey at some point, no harm.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:On this evening's performances this thread should certainly tip the hat to three former Leinster Academy players - John Cooney (Ulster), Tadgh Beirne (Llanelli) and Ian McKinley (Treviso). Great performances for all three and Beirne, in particular will have done his prospects of wearing a green jersey at some point, no harm.
Beirne was so destructive in defence all game, conceded a couple of penalties but did really well

Cooney does the basics really well, will be interesting to see how far he can go if he stays fit
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:On this evening's performances this thread should certainly tip the hat to three former Leinster Academy players - John Cooney (Ulster), Tadgh Beirne (Llanelli) and Ian McKinley (Treviso). Great performances for all three and Beirne, in particular will have done his prospects of wearing a green jersey at some point, no harm.
Beirne was so destructive in defence all game, conceded a couple of penalties but did really well

Cooney does the basics really well, will be interesting to see how far he can go if he stays fit
When can we look to 'bring Beirne back' (BBB)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

artaneboy wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

When can we look to 'bring Beirne back' (BBB)?

thats up to St Joe and Lucifora

if commentators are to be believed Beirne has been told he is coveted by powers that be and theyll want him back before he WQs
Scarlets have officially offered him an extension beyond this season

question is where does he (want to) go? we've had this chat before here but he walks into at the very least the matchday 23 of tother 3 provinces
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Probably have Conor Oliver over Conor Gilsenan.
Maybe Keatley over Madigan.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jaysus, Copeland doesn't even make the backrow on that team.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

blockhead wrote:Jaysus, Copeland doesn't even make the backrow on that team.
copeland over timoney too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Possible other team:

1. Denis Coulson(Connacht)
2. Tadgh McElroy(Saracens)
3. Jamie Hagan(Pro D2)
4. Jack Regan(Ulster)
5. Mark Flanagan(Munster)
6. Jordan Coghlan(Nottingham)
7. Conor Oliver(Munster)
8. Robin Copeland(Munster)
9. James Hart(Munster)
10. Ian Keatley(Munster)
11. Adam Leavy(Connacht)
12. Craig Ronaldson(Connacht)
13. Peter Robb(Connacht)
14. Niyi Adeolokun(Connacht)
15. Jack Power(Munster)
markiejoe

Post by markiejoe »

Maks van Dyk, now with Toulouse. Prop. Played for us 3 or 4 years ago
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Peter Lydon , Ealing Trailfinders .
Flying wedge
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Probably have Jager in there too at tighthead
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Slightly tenuous this but if you saw Conor Nash play you'd know he was/is a serious prospect

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 62206.html

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote:Slightly tenuous this but if you saw Conor Nash play you'd know he was/is a serious prospect

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 62206.html

From time to time I check in on Nash's progress over in Hawthorn/Box Hill to see how he is getting along [sources: http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/player-profile/conor-nash and http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... Conor-NASH ].

He has been playing in their second-string competition thus far, yet to make his debut in the AFL. Seemed to miss a lot of games last season with a hamstring problem. He's doing okay for somebody who never played the game before, but by no means tearing up trees.

The interview that Twist posted is revealing, especially with the way he references the attitudes in GAA [negative] and rugby [positive]. I never completely understood why he took up the AFL offer ahead of the Leinster offer – money, adventure, the attraction of being wanted by a team on the other side of the world?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My info is that he was just never that into rugby and would have stuck with GAA if it was professional. He wanted to be a professional athlete so plumped for the offer down under.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My info is that he was just never that into rugby and would have stuck with GAA if it was professional. He wanted to be a professional athlete so plumped for the offer down under.
That's certainly not the impression from lads who worked with him at underage level.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

the spoofer wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My info is that he was just never that into rugby and would have stuck with GAA if it was professional. He wanted to be a professional athlete so plumped for the offer down under.
That's certainly not the impression from lads who worked with him at underage level.
Also doesn't chime in with what he says in the interview:

'Nash's decision was complicated by his rugby potential.

"There would have been a bit of begrudgery alright, the old staunch GAA boys and stuff like that," he recalls. "But none of it was really hard in the end. My hardest part as it progressed further was telling rugby rather than GAA. They said: 'We'd love to have you, but if you go that way we won't begrudge you at all. We'll keep you on the books for a while.' That was a massive confidence from them. It was tempting, I remember coming back in January 2016 after a stint in Melbourne and I had contract offer, so that's when I told Leinster. It was very tough, I didn't take the decision lightly and it took me a few weeks. Hawthorn said to me, 'Take all the time you need'."'