A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote:
dropkick wrote:
Even the backs mentioned, it's just been Stockdale and Trimble who have been first choice for ireland, since Bowe.
Thats a matter of coaches choice though, the players were there if the coach chose to use them. And neither coach over the last decade was infallible when it came to selection. Indeed, Joe Schmidt, for all his success, could be a mediocre selector and made some of the worst selection decisions (including the very worst selection decision this millenium) in the history of irish professional rugby.
What in your mind is the worse selection decision?
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

FLIP wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
dropkick wrote:
Even the backs mentioned, it's just been Stockdale and Trimble who have been first choice for ireland, since Bowe.
Thats a matter of coaches choice though, the players were there if the coach chose to use them. And neither coach over the last decade was infallible when it came to selection. Indeed, Joe Schmidt, for all his success, could be a mediocre selector and made some of the worst selection decisions (including the very worst selection decision this millenium) in the history of irish professional rugby.
Kleyn over Toner at the last world cup. If Devin Toner had passed away in the weeks leading up to the tournament, a stack of Devin Toner In Memorium cards would have contributed more than Kleyn.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

DC: Kleyn over Toner at the last world cup. If Devin Toner had passed away in the weeks leading up to the tournament, a stack of Devin Toner In Memorium cards would have contributed more than Kleyn.

Bravissimo!!!!! :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Dave Cahill wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Thats a matter of coaches choice though, the players were there if the coach chose to use them. And neither coach over the last decade was infallible when it came to selection. Indeed, Joe Schmidt, for all his success, could be a mediocre selector and made some of the worst selection decisions (including the very worst selection decision this millenium) in the history of irish professional rugby.
Kleyn over Toner at the last world cup. If Devin Toner had passed away in the weeks leading up to the tournament, a stack of Devin Toner In Memorium cards would have contributed more than Kleyn.
I have to disagree. I suppose it would’ve been the kind of thing where Deccie was appointed head coach of Leinster in this millennium, at the end of the day
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Tighthead prop, and native son of Naas, Oli Jaegar has just signed a new deal with Crusaders. He’s 6’4” and 128kg and obviously very highly thought of.

Lets steal him back.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Sorry I should’ve added this article to that last post

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 73840.html

Ive been following him since he played against the Lions in 2017. I think he could be exceptional.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

“There was a little bit of interest coming over from Europe,” said Jager. “This is my first choice. I have my life here and don’t really see myself going anywhere else. Nor do I want to.”

He has no interest in returning and I don't blame him. Why Leinster chose Oisin Heffernan over him out of school is certainly an interesting question, possibly due to his unconventional body type. Well to be fair to the academy coaches, he had invite to Leinster 20's as a u19, but decided to go NZ for a season to experience rugby there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:“There was a little bit of interest coming over from Europe,” said Jager. “This is my first choice. I have my life here and don’t really see myself going anywhere else. Nor do I want to.”

He has no interest in returning and I don't blame him. Why Leinster chose Oisin Heffernan over him out of school is certainly an interesting question, possibly due to his unconventional body type. Well to be fair to the academy coaches, he had invite to Leinster 20's as a u19, but decided to go NZ for a season to experience rugby there.
My recollection, and I could be entirely wrong was that he was offered sub-academy and he wanted to go straight into the academy out of school.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:“There was a little bit of interest coming over from Europe,” said Jager. “This is my first choice. I have my life here and don’t really see myself going anywhere else. Nor do I want to.”

My recollection, and I could be entirely wrong was that he was offered sub-academy and he wanted to go straight into the academy out of school.
That's close to the reality but with a couple of wrinkles. Jager's option was to take a punt on an opportunity in NZ rather than accept what was considered the appropriate route for a player with very little front-row experience and an unusual body shape for a tight-head. It's easy to say it was a poor Leinster decision in hindsight but it wasn't that clearcut at the time and Heffo was a decent choice who just didn't quite develop as anticipated.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ian McKinley being released by Benetton
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote:Ian McKinley being released by Benetton
To be fair that was on the cards once they signed Keatley (and probably even before that if I’m completely honest)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:Ian McKinley being released by Benetton
Interesting that an Italian international is being released and an import stays. That wouldn't happen in Ireland.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Salanoa started with Munster yesterday.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Daniel Brennan, son of Trevor, has earned his first senior professional contract at Montpellier after a couple of years in the club’s academy.
Moved to France when he was 3.
From the IT
The 21-year-old prop helped France win the Under-20 World Championships in 2018 before taking the decision to join the Montpellier academy, having also been sounded out by Munster.
The turnips just cant get enough of that blue blood.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

If they bring him back into the fold I've no problem with it. The same way I'd be happy if any of the provinces got Jager to come back.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Back into the fold? What, did he play for Leinster Toddlers or something?
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

blockhead wrote:Daniel Brennan, son of Trevor, has earned his first senior professional contract at Montpellier after a couple of years in the club’s academy.
From the IT
The 21-year-old prop helped France win the Under-20 World Championships in 2018 before taking the decision to join the Montpellier academy, having also been sounded out by Munster.
Isn't there a problem with signing French (and Welsh?) players who have played u20s as they are NIQ for the senior team (on the basis that the u20s counts as the "A" team for that country as they have no senior "A" team)? Maybe it covers all the 6 Nations now since they did away with the A championship (Wolfhounds, Saxons, etc.).
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

sunshiner1 wrote:If they bring him back into the fold I've no problem with it. The same way I'd be happy if any of the provinces got Jager to come back.
I don't see why people would be eager to get Jager back, he hasn't done anything of note for the Crusaders. From the limited bits I've seen of him he struggles to keep up with play, is weak in contact, and isn't much of a scrummager.

He's done amazingly well to get to where he is and I hope he continues to develop but I don't think he'd improve any of the provinces really. Connacht are very light on props so he'd be a decent squad player for them but I don't think he'll ever be good enough for Ireland so they may as well sign an NIQ who's better than him.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

joooooe wrote:
blockhead wrote:Daniel Brennan, son of Trevor, has earned his first senior professional contract at Montpellier after a couple of years in the club’s academy.
From the IT
Isn't there a problem with signing French (and Welsh?) players who have played u20s as they are NIQ for the senior team (on the basis that the u20s counts as the "A" team for that country as they have no senior "A" team)? Maybe it covers all the 6 Nations now since they did away with the A championship (Wolfhounds, Saxons, etc.).
World Rugby got rid of the stipulation that a country could name their U-20 side as their second team.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Noel Reid is one of 6 Leicester players who failed to agree a new contract/pay cut.