Gar Ringrose

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Gary Ringrose

Poll ended at November 21st, 2015, 5:04 pm

I agree Ringrose has looked very promising, is it not a little early to hail him as the second coming?
55%
No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive
16%
Let's wait and see what D'arce has to say it about it in the IT
29%

Total votes: 31

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Gary Ringrose

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

goreyguy wrote::roll: poll makes no sense
Neither does the thread title.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:I'm with the Doc.....
Scene, duo on a vacant stage, dry ice languishing about the ankles to the fore, torn black drapery about the back.
Provocateur: [Voice escalating in question] Ahem, Gary Ringose?
Plebian: [unfurling a dueling glove] No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive!

I'm not buying a ticket to see that!!
just read it as if it's a conversation.

I'll go back and put a note in the OP
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Scene, duo on a vacant stage, dry ice languishing about the ankles to the fore, torn black drapery about the back.
Plebian: [unfurling a dueling glove] No. And I think a lot of people would find that suggestion offensive!

Will you also edit the thread title to spell the lad's name properly?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

This crowd is tougher than the Blackrock Mafia Xmas Party
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Will you also edit the thread title to spell the lad's name properly?

Nope

EDIT: of course I'll fix it Xanthippe, but I want you to acknowledge my bidet joke first, took me ages to remember what that thing is called :D
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on November 12th, 2015, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jezzer wrote:This crowd is tougher than the Blackrock Mafia Xmas Party
They're just sooooo mean Jezzer!!!

You got it didn't you?
Medinah
Learner

Post by Medinah »

Better being a lemming but on the inside of th tent pissing out than on the outside pissing in.

Careful whose boots you lick.
"H-use" - Nigel Owens.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Medinah wrote:
Better being a lemming but on the inside of th tent pissing out than on the outside pissing in.

Careful whose boots you lick.

Ahh Medinah, I really do love your posts, where have you been??
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
They're just sooooo mean Jezzer!!!

You got it didn't you?
Some of us are looking up at the stars, OSS. Like Gary Ringrose.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Gar Ringrose

Post by riocard911 »

Hook right on the money re Ireland's failure to bring on young talent (the same point was made to today by Demented Mole, who suggested Henshaw likely wouldn't have gotten his place on the national team by now, had he been playing at a different province to Connacht):

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 95909.html

The killer quotes from Hook are, IMO:

"Gopperth is a prime example of a wasted opportunity to develop Irish talent. Ian Madigan was in pole position to succeed Sexton when he left Leinster for Racing Metro, yet he was forced to spend the majority of the two seasons behind Gopperth on the Leinster bench."

(...)

"If Garry Ringrose had been born in New Zealand, he would have been playing at the 2015 Rugby World Cup. The 21-year-old's talent in the centre has been blatantly obvious for nigh-on three years, yet last weekend was his first start in his preferred position for Leinster.

Leo Cullen's decision to select Ringrose on the wing for three Pro12 games this season has been a complete waste of time. If the Leinster coach had any courage in his convictions, he would have started Ringrose at outside centre for each of the first six rounds of the competition.

And ahead of the opening round of games in the Rugby Champions Cup this weekend, Ringrose would have some solid first-team experience at centre under his belt. Instead, he has played just once in his preferred position and it has to go down as an opportunity wasted.

Bear in mind that this kid, according to his Ireland under-20 coach Nigel Carolan, has every ingredient necessary to play at the highest level of the game. He is that good. Yet, because he is Irish, his development is being stunted and elongated unnecessarily.

Ireland's history of nurturing young talent is verging on shameful. The overly-conservative selection policies of head coaches, who seem to favour sticking with the tried and trusted ahead of backing the younger player, is very frustrating.

Last year, Ringrose was nominated for the Under-20 Player of the Year, but narrowly lost out to Handrè Pollard of South Africa. Pollard was the starting fly-half for the Springboks in the World Cup semi-final against New Zealand last month, while Ringrose was struggling to get a look-in at Leinster.

There are numerous other examples. One can make a strong argument that Luke McGrath should be the first-choice scrum-half for Leinster this season, yet he is still trying to usurp 35-year-old Isaac Boss to be the second-choice number nine for his province.

This does not happen in New Zealand or Australia and it is a damning indictment of Ireland's prehistoric approach to player selection."
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote:Hook right on the money
Everything you say is invalidated by that first sentence.
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Madigan played 48 times for Leinster in Gopperth's two seasons here.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Sure why engage with the argument made by both Hook and the Mole, when one can just dash off a one-liner put down?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

You can always find examples to fit your pre-constructed agenda. In Hook's case, this time out, he's landed on three very valid examples. In Ringrose's case though, we're simultaneously trying to bed in Te'o at a new position in a new code. Hook might argue that Te'o is another Gopperth blocking the Irish conveyor belt, but the reality is with BOD, Darce and O'Malley gone (and Ferg thenkfully no longer being played at centre), we need Te'o AND Ringrose AND Reid AND Fitz.

Madigan should have started ahead of Gopperth, but when he did he was scarcely more convincing than Jimmy.

McGrath should be ahead of Boss and there's just no arguing with that.

put those example aside and where are the other glaring deficiencies in the Irish setup for promoting young players. We have swathes of young front rowers coming in, not held up by anyone in particular. We have good locks in Toner, Henderson and Ryan but who is the Johnny Foreigner blocking the path of more players? Back rowers - Hook is more likely to complain Jordi Murphy isn't as good As CJ Stander than complain there are poor players holing up young talent.

Halfback - Boss aside, who is holding up young players? Is Pienaar realistically holding anyone up who has a chance of being an Irish international? No outhalves are being held up. No 12s are being held up - our bigger problem is we have too few of them. Is Payne not holding up Ringrose just as much as Leinster? Do we really want to drop Payne for anyone?

It's a bogus argument, made very well with three good examples, imo.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Sure why engage with the argument made by both Hook and the Mole, when one can just dash off a one-liner put down?
Have you guys voted yet?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

And ironically, the team with the most Johnny Foreigners holding back young players is Connacht - the team that gave us Henshaw and saved the day.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Ringrose is a huge talent but he's still visibly growing into his frame. He looked slight at schools level and at u20 level and is now starting to put on the weight needed for international. I think in the long run he will be a better player for not being physically huge through his development (hence having to learn how to play clever, not just rely on his physicality), but he would be blown away at international level right now. Pollard was able to progress to international level faster because he had the physicality sooner.

I do, however, think Ringrose should now be getting plenty of time at pro12 (and maybe some european) level in the centre
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Have you guys voted yet?[/quote]

Sure have. I decided to be guided by the superior wisdom of the Darce!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's a nonsense argument that makes me happy that he's gone from RTE.

As others have said, players progress at different rates. He also doesn't actually say who Ringrose would have been picked ahead of. Although if the great Nigel Carolan says he's good enough then why didn't Joe just listen? No disrespect to Carolan but an underage coach giving a bland quote regarding one of his talented players (probably in response to a direct question of which there would be no other answer he could give) means absolutely nothing. My grandad thinks I should play for Ireland but I don't think that should be taken into account in terms of selection.

Lastly, Dan Carter and Nonu just won the World Cup, and started off at 12 and wing respectively when they first broke through.

Shut the f%~k up George.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Playing a talented centre on the wing initially has never worked, just look at Umaga or de Villiers

dont forget Hook thinks Payne is the antichrist, so he probably would also have said we should have played Brendan Macken at the RWC if there was no Ringrose
Last edited by simonokeeffe on November 13th, 2015, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon