Contract Renewals 2015/2016

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Contract Renewals 2015/2016

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hasnt the only inter province transfer so far under Nucifora been Henshaw to Leinster?

I would AJ McGinty to waste of an NIQ slot too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Hasnt the only inter province transfer so far under Nucifora been Henshaw to Leinster?

Ah You to Ulster.
Jordan Coghlan to Munster.
Willow Falloon to Ulster.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Hasnt the only inter province transfer so far under Nucifora been Henshaw to Leinster?

Sam Arnold, Rodney C'Mere You?
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:
blockhead wrote:Zane and Isa are our NIQs for next year, right? So we have 2 spots available assuming Triggs is out the door with Teo. We are week at scumhalf, outhalf, lock. So 2 NIQs and a project player are required. Any news on filling these positions?
The fact that we're being linked with a project player scrum-half makes me think that the IRFU won't let us have a proper NIQ in that position due to Pienaar still being at Ulster. Sounds like we won't be allowed NIQ's at prop or lock either.
I don't think we need either a project player or a premium signing at scrum half - we need a mentor.

At lock, I thought we needed a premium player there, but the performances of Maloney are encouraging enough that I would think that rather than going for a big name there, we should go for a grizzled veteren type skilled in the dark arts that could help bring him on to the next level. Plus, if he keeps developing at his current pace, will Ross M be around for the AI/6N period, and so some experienced cover is required
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Man I'm slow today

will grant yee Ah you, and Arnold
Coghlan was released and Munster needed IQ players
Faloon wanted to go home

good thing I was right on McGinty
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

dropkick wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:So far the only signing he has stopped that we know of, is the captain of Australia. Hardly a journeyman - an Irishman, but not a journeyman. He allowed however the signing of the likes of Amorosino, Triggs, Sagario and Chishom - good pros, but almost dictionary definition journeymen
3 of those are for Munster who have no money, a poorly functioning academy and plenty of injuries as well as Jones retiring. The academy being the main problem in Munster.

Leinster tried to see some backrower as injury cover but we refused. He saved Leinster a few bob there because Van Der Flier has come through this season and isn't on big money.
Not according to the Munster CEO.He said recently all the provinces have the funds to compete with the French (as Ulster have shown) but signings are being constantly blocked by the IRFU.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Munster owe the IRFU €9m and are flailing around trying to sell the naming rights to Thomund park. They don't have money to compete.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Dave Cahill wrote:
cormac wrote:
blockhead wrote:Zane and Isa are our NIQs for next year, right? So we have 2 spots available assuming Triggs is out the door with Teo. We are week at scumhalf, outhalf, lock. So 2 NIQs and a project player are required. Any news on filling these positions?
The fact that we're being linked with a project player scrum-half makes me think that the IRFU won't let us have a proper NIQ in that position due to Pienaar still being at Ulster. Sounds like we won't be allowed NIQ's at prop or lock either.
I don't think we need either a project player or a premium signing at scrum half - we need a mentor.

At lock, I thought we needed a premium player there, but the performances of Maloney are encouraging enough that I would think that rather than going for a big name there, we should go for a grizzled veteren type skilled in the dark arts that could help bring him on to the next level. Plus, if he keeps developing at his current pace, will Ross M be around for the AI/6N period, and so some experienced cover is required
So keep Triggs?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Keith wrote:
dropkick wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:So far the only signing he has stopped that we know of, is the captain of Australia. Hardly a journeyman - an Irishman, but not a journeyman. He allowed however the signing of the likes of Amorosino, Triggs, Sagario and Chishom - good pros, but almost dictionary definition journeymen
3 of those are for Munster who have no money, a poorly functioning academy and plenty of injuries as well as Jones retiring. The academy being the main problem in Munster.

Leinster tried to see some backrower as injury cover but we refused. He saved Leinster a few bob there because Van Der Flier has come through this season and isn't on big money.
Not according to the Munster CEO.He said recently all the provinces have the funds to compete with the French (as Ulster have shown) but signings are being constantly blocked by the IRFU.
if Munster had money they would have paid for Moore themselves then surely
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leoslovechild wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
So keep Triggs?
Yeah I guess, someone of a similar profile if not the man himself. Numerically, we're not as badly off as we were, or appeared to be at least. We have Mike Mac and Dev in the established international category, we have Ross M as a rapidly developing young player, and we have yet to see Kearney in a blue jersey - but he was excellent in green. Denton is a par-for-the-course Pro12 slogger, we have Nagle coming in and I have no idea what we'll get from him and then we have the experienced Triggs backing up the internationals and hopefully supporting the younger chaps. Its not a bad spread if we can get everyone fit and on the same page at the same time.

Edit:- Thats without even discussing James Ryan of course
I have Bumbleflex
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Leoslovechild wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
So keep Triggs?
Yeah I guess, someone of a similar profile if not the man himself. Numerically, we're not as badly off as we were, or appeared to be at least. We have Mike Mac and Dev in the established international category, we have Ross M as a rapidly developing young player, and we have yet to see Kearney in a blue jersey - but he was excellent in green. Denton is a par-for-the-course Pro12 slogger, we have Nagle coming in and I have no idea what we'll get from him and then we have the experienced Triggs backing up the internationals and hopefully supporting the younger chaps. Its not a bad spread if we can get everyone fit and on the same page at the same time.

Edit:- Thats without even discussing James Ryan of course
4 locks on the books who are out of contract this season..
Hayden Triggs(33/34)
Tom Denton(28)
Tadhg Beirne(24)
Gavin Thornbury(22)

I'm guessing one might stick around.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Probably Thornbury gives his height and youth?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Keith wrote:
dropkick wrote: 3 of those are for Munster who have no money, a poorly functioning academy and plenty of injuries as well as Jones retiring. The academy being the main problem in Munster.

if Munster had money they would have paid for Moore themselves then surely
Not necessarily as it still has to pass Nucifora, Grace and a few others before they can spend their cash on the likes of Moore, you need rational thinking and build a case for why a player is needed and also how that fits in with longer term development of local Irish players, eg we have Coetzee who can play 6,7 or 8 so that flexibility allows him to move and mentor young lads in the other positions, same with Piutau as he can work across the backline, Ludik was let stay as firstly he will be IQ after next season and secondly he is a real role model for young lads, very professional in his work ethic. Botha will have got staying in Munster with his various contract extensions to try and help some other guys develop. In the past Leinster had Contepomi who was an asset in getting Sexton where he is today, when you sit back and think deeper into these things you can actually see where the IRFU are coming from now with NIQ signings
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
cormac wrote: The fact that we're being linked with a project player scrum-half makes me think that the IRFU won't let us have a proper NIQ in that position due to Pienaar still being at Ulster. Sounds like we won't be allowed NIQ's at prop or lock either.
I would like to think our next project player would be a scrum half while we still have Pienaar, Paul Marshall was far too stuck in his ways to ever be changed when he arrived and really scrum half options in Ireland are in a dire situation at present. Coincidently our second choice away back when we signed Pienaar was Rory Kockott who has gone on to be French qualified and capped
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Moore one is well documented, IRFU said you can sign him but we're not paying for him
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if there'd be any desire to get Ulster to cancel the Piutau deal in return for Wasps cancelling the Moore one? Obviously Ulster would be royally screwed in that scenario but they could be allowed sign another outside back (not that they really need one) and/or a top class second row to replace VDM in 18 months.

And before anyone says it won't happen, I don't think it will either, but if I was Nucifora I'd be thinking about it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if there'd be any desire to get Ulster to cancel the Piutau deal in return for Wasps cancelling the Moore one? Obviously Ulster would be royally screwed in that scenario but they could be allowed sign another outside back (not that they really need one) and/or a top class second row to replace VDM in 18 months.

And before anyone says it won't happen, I don't think it will either, but if I was Nucifora I'd be thinking about it.
You got me thinking, looking at a battle royale of horse trading and NIQ signings and bartering in a years time

The NIQs expiring in 2017

Chisholm
Saili
TB (IQ if stays)

Herbst (IQ if stays)
Ludik (IQ if stays)
Pienaar
FVDM

Kirchner (FTW)
Isa

Aki (IQ if stays)
McCartney (IQ if stays)
Fox-Matamua

GVDH and Heenan IQ start of next season
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

simonokeeffe wrote:Moore one is well documented, IRFU said you can sign him but we're not paying for him

And rightfully so. Munster need a 10, tighthead, second rows and openside but they try to sign a hooker despite having 3 decent hookers and O'Byrne is decent backup to those. Moore might have been a good influence but so would a good coach, at a fraction of the price.

The provincial coaches are judged on results so they will try to sign as many players as possible to strengthen their team. They'll pick the short term option every time if they had a chance. A seasoned journeyman vs a young, raw talent? They'll go for the safe option every time and keep the young talent in reserves for a few seasons. Its only now that the IRFU - with Nuciforas help - have stepped in to limit these short term type of signings.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

dropkick wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Moore one is well documented, IRFU said you can sign him but we're not paying for him

And rightfully so. Munster need a 10, tighthead, second rows and openside but they try to sign a hooker despite having 3 decent hookers and O'Byrne is decent backup to those. Moore might have been a good influence but so would a good coach, at a fraction of the price.

The provincial coaches are judged on results so they will try to sign as many players as possible to strengthen their team. They'll pick the short term option every time if they had a chance. A seasoned journeyman vs a young, raw talent? They'll go for the safe option every time and keep the young talent in reserves for a few seasons. Its only now that the IRFU - with Nuciforas help - have stepped in to limit these short term type of signings.
Munster signed a 10, tighthead a second row and an openside.

The reality is that Nucifora actually doesn't know what he's doing, where hes supposed to be doing it and when its done. He's the Stephen Archer of administrators
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote: He's the Stephen Archer of administrators
Ah here DC, let's not say stuff we can't take back!!! :?