Back to Pro12 - Leinster v Ulster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Back to Pro12 - Leinster v Ulster

Post by COYBIB »

Not entirely to do with the two defeats over the last two weeks, but I would really like to see Leinster focus mainly on the league this season and to go to win it with the better prospects as central figures in its pursuit. Give guys like Ringrose, Moloney, L.McGrath, Kelleher, Byrne etc. a taste of the intensity of tight league games and play-off, knock-out rugby and maybe even the agony or ecstasy of a final.

I would like to see teams for the remainder of the season picked with heavy weighting towards these factors:

1/ Form
Development
  • Experience
Having a mix of those three factors in every squad. I think every single fan has a lot of good will towards Cullen and his coaching staff and would absolutely accept a season of blooding highly talented youth, even at the expense of results, whilst playing a good, attacking brand of rugby. It's taking that leap and sticking by those guys over the next 12/18 months and bringing them through alongside the senior guys that could stand to Leinster for the next 10 years.

For Ulster, I'd love to see the energy the young lads have brought so far and let them show the "superstars" how it's done in some cases.

My team would be:
1. J.McGrath (26) 2. Strauss (29) 3. Moore (24) 4. Moloney (21) 5. Toner (29) 6. Ruddock (25) 7. Van Der Flier (22) 8. Murphy (24) (where he's far more comfortable)
9. L.McGrath (22) 10. Sexton (30) 11. Fitzgerald (28) 12. Reid (25) 13. Te'o (28) 14. Ringrose(20) 15. Nacewa (33)
16. Tracy 17. Healy 18. Furlong 19. Triggs 20. O'Brien 21. Reddan 22. Madigan 23. A.Byrne (it's about time he got his shot)

Conan (at the expense of Murphy) and Mick Kearney (at the expense of Triggs) would be involved if they were fit.
Last edited by COYBIB on November 22nd, 2015, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Back to Pro12 - Leinster v Ulster

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

It's late, and don't really have time to give a full response, but for me would be interested in seeing Reid face up to McCloskey, Murphy v Williams, but most interesting would be Ringrose v Gilroy I think that would be a cracker.

Also nice to see how van der Flier would deal with Henry (who I really rate) could be a nice learning curve for those four boys.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:It's late, and don't really have time to give a full response, but for me would be interested in seeing Reid face up to McCloskey, Murphy v Williams, but most interesting would be Ringrose v Gilroy I think that would be a cracker.

Also nice to see how van der Flier would deal with Henry (who I really rate) could be a nice learning curve for those four boys.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd largely go with COYBIBs team, need to bounce back, Glasgow away pre Europe not the place to send espoirs, we need an injection of youth and the grown ups need to be rested in one of the next 2 games before Toulon

Younger, hungry, returning guys v Ulster
older slower boys v Glasgow

McGrath, Strauss, Moore, Molony, Denton, Ruddock, JVDF, Murphy
McGrath, Marsh, DK, Luke, Te'o, Ringrose, Isa
Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Toner, SOB, Reddan, Madigan, Kirchner

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Toner, McCarthy, Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip
McGrath, Sexton, Isa, Luke, Te'o, McFadden, RK
Strauss, McGrath, Moore, Molony, JVDF, Reddan, Madigan, Ringrose

obviously a fair bit depends on when injured players are no longer injured
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I tend not to write down teams like this much anymore and others have made a few of the changes I'd make anyway but...

1) McGrath
2) Tracy
3) Moore
4) Molony
5) McCarthy. Injury permitting obviously.
6) Ruddock
7) VDF
8) SOB. Injury permitting. Not usually one for putting him forward as an 8 but I don't want Jamie or Jordi to start, Conan is injured, and I'd like to see what himself and VDF do together.
9) McGrath
10) Sexton
11) Luke Fitz
12) Te'o.
13) Ringrose
14) DK...just.
15) Isa

16) Cronin
17) Dooley
18) Furlong
19) Toner. Not dropping him, just want to see the others play.
20) Heaslip
21) Reddan
22) Madigan
23) Ferg

I hope the internationals aren't just automatically rested, nows not the time to tie our hands behind our back, some will be dropped/rested by Leo anyway, and they can rest later on if needs be.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I tend not to write down teams like this much anymore and others have made a few of the changes I'd make anyway but...

1) McGrath
2) Tracy
3) Moore
4) Molony
5) McCarthy. Injury permitting obviously.
6) Ruddock
7) VDF
8) SOB. Injury permitting. Not usually one for putting him forward as an 8 but I don't want Jamie or Jordi to start, Conan is injured, and I'd like to see what himself and VDF do together.
9) McGrath
10) Sexton
11) Luke Fitz
12) Te'o.
13) Ringrose
14) DK...just.
15) Isa

16) Cronin
17) Dooley
18) Furlong
19) Toner. Not dropping him, just want to see the others play.
20) Heaslip
21) Reddan
22) Madigan
23) Ferg

I hope the internationals aren't just automatically rested, nows not the time to tie our hands behind our back, some will be dropped/rested by Leo anyway, and they can rest later on if needs be.
This would be my team. Would like to see SOB freed up a bit to do more ball carrying and destruction. He seemed liberated when moved to 6 with POM going off against France. VdF could handle the link work and poaching and Ruddock the tight carrying allowing SOB to get a bit wider and knock some heads.

Would love to see that midfield as well. Teo has looked good and aggresive in defense and I think would be better suited to the defending role from 12, where he would be allowed come up hard and make hits without as much responsibility to read the outside. Ringrose could be confident of his inside defense too.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Like the look of that team. Not sure if I'd start sexton, guy looks like he needs a break. I'd like madigan at 10 but prob not going to see it. Ringrose and Te'o could do well at centre, luke is so much better at 11 so makes sense to put him back out there.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I like the idea of Te'o at 12 but I get a feeling we are not going to see it

Don't think Tracey needs a go if Strauss is fit, his throwing worries me
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Worries me too tbh but I'd like to see more of him. I've been saying about Strauss' head knocks for ages now so don't really want to see him for a while, not that that means he won't be available, but it's why I didn't include him.

You've reminded me about how much of a shambles our last lineout was. Things can go wrong, but for everyone to not be clued in for such a crucial lineout in the dying moments of a game...criminal.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Worries me too tbh but I'd like to see more of him. I've been saying about Strauss' head knocks for ages now so don't really want to see him for a while, not that that means he won't be available, but it's why I didn't include him.

You've reminded me about how much of a shambles our last lineout was. Things can go wrong, but for everyone to not be clued in for such a crucial lineout in the dying moments of a game...criminal.
yeah a lock going off didnt help (a lot of things) bu the ad hoc pack should have been taking into account making the call
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Don't want to see Strauss anywhere near a pitch for weeks, if at all. Too many knocks causing too much damage. Also can't believe people want Murphy around. He has been poor for Ireland and worse for Leinster. He misses easy tackles and his physical impact has been negated by loss of acceleration. He has become king of the soak tackle and concedes huge yardage in this manner
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Don't want to see Strauss anywhere near a pitch for weeks, if at all. Too many knocks causing too much damage. Also can't believe people want Murphy around. He has been poor for Ireland and worse for Leinster. He misses easy tackles and his physical impact has been negated by loss of acceleration. He has become king of the soak tackle and concedes huge yardage in this manner
dont forget being driven back when he has the ball :D

he strikes me as one of the players who just needs to relax a bit and just play
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I think it's high time Te'o was switched to inside centre. Ringrose is the man for 13
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I wouldn't write Reid off just yet. Yes there are issues with his defence but he is still the only one who can offload in the tackle and his passing and footwork are well above what others are capable of. He is quick to spot a gap so for me he is def good enough to play in the pro 12. Te'o may not even be here next year but I hope he stays on as the guy is someone who have been crying out for for years.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

carlow man wrote:I wouldn't write Reid off just yet. Yes there are issues with his defence but he is still the only one who can offload in the tackle and his passing and footwork are well above what others are capable of. He is quick to spot a gap so for me he is def good enough to play in the pro 12. Te'o may not even be here next year but I hope he stays on as the guy is someone who have been crying out for for years.
Teo Luke and Ringrose can all do that
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I really don't want to be the Reid basher, but what the hey.

it really is a bigger issue than some seem to want to accept, if the outside man cannot trust the inside man to make his tackles, the entire defensive line is compromised. He's 25 now and should be big and bold enough to make his tackles.

I don't know if its a feasible option, but I say send him back down to the As for about 5 or 6 weeks, put him in at 6 with strict instructions to hit as many rucks and tackle as many ankles as he can manage.

He has all of the positive attacking aspects you could want in a centre 3/4, but he just needs to man up and take the pressure, it has to be an attitude thing.

Alternative is to him hold a tackle bag for SOB, Jamie and Healy, they can work on dishing out the hurt, he can just get used to being hit. It's a physical game, and I don't think we can afford to carry a non tackler.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:I really don't want to be the Reid basher, but what the hey.

it really is a bigger issue than some seem to want to accept, if the outside man cannot trust the inside man to make his tackles, the entire defensive line is compromised. He's 25 now and should be big and bold enough to make his tackles.

I don't know if its a feasible option, but I say send him back down to the As for about 5 or 6 weeks, put him in at 6 with strict instructions to hit as many rucks and tackle as many ankles as he can manage.

He has all of the positive attacking aspects you could want in a centre 3/4, but he just needs to man up and take the pressure, it has to be an attitude thing.

Alternative is to him hold a tackle bag for SOB, Jamie and Healy, they can work on dishing out the hurt, he can just get used to being hit. It's a physical game, and I don't think we can afford to carry a non tackler.
theres a few of us, dont worry

hes been great going forward last few weeks and has a surprisingly good handoff

but from behind him in wasps game he bit in so many times to create gaps & overlaps, whatever about soaky or missed tackles

we could get away with one of those aspects eg Mafi, Madigan, but not both
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

I'm not sure we'll have (m)any internationals available to us folks. They've all played 3 of the last 4 (where injury permitted) and will play at least 2 of the next 4. We'll obviously be sending a weakened team down to Thomond but they'll also need a break either this week or next. This week and next week might see a bit more rotation the way we did against Treviso and Scarlets. With that in mind:

Ulster:

McGrath Tracy Moore
McCarthy Triggs
Ruddock SOB VDF

McGrath Marsh
Reid Te'o
Ringrose Nacewa Kirchner

Cronin, Healy, Furlong, Molony, Ryan, Reddan, Madigan, Fitz

Glasgow:

Healy Cronin Ross
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
Fitz Te'o
D Kearney R Kearney Nacewa

Tracy, McGrath, Moore, Molony, VDF, Reddan, Madigan, Ringrose

Toulon:

McGrath Cronin Moore
Toner McCarthy
Ruddock Heaslip SOB

McGrath Sexton
Fitz Te'o
D Keanney R Kearney Nacewa

Tracy, Healy, Ross, Triggs/Molony, VDF, Reddan, Madigan, Rongrose

This week I'd replace Triggs with Molony. Then next week I'd replace Maccer with him. That way we get a good look at Molony vs Triggs. Select wihchever looks the better for the bench against Toulon.
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

Hello from Belfast!

So Europe hasn't exactly started too well for either of us but I am looking forward to a cracking interpro, although I am a bit gutted it's being played now as I feel both sides will be a little weakened from our European games. But of course, it's Leinster v Ulster, there will of course be a lot of pride and passion and a bit of gurning in the stands too :wink:

As far as our team goes, Rooster said on the Ulster thread that we'd probably go for the same team, if not the same squad, and he's probably right. I can't imagine us playing exactly the same side so I'll go with one or two changes, but for the most part I'd say you'll get the same team as started against Saracens.

North Standing it this year for the first time in a while, come up and say hi! :D

Also I did this on MF before our game a few weeks ago, any questions you potentially want answered about UR feel free to ask away.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

UlsterMan wrote:Hello from Belfast!

So Europe hasn't exactly started too well for either of us but I am looking forward to a cracking interpro, although I am a bit gutted it's being played now as I feel both sides will be a little weakened from our European games. But of course, it's Leinster v Ulster, there will of course be a lot of pride and passion and a bit of gurning in the stands too :wink:

As far as our team goes, Rooster said on the Ulster thread that we'd probably go for the same team, if not the same squad, and he's probably right. I can't imagine us playing exactly the same side so I'll go with one or two changes, but for the most part I'd say you'll get the same team as started against Saracens.

North Standing it this year for the first time in a while, come up and say hi! :D

Also I did this on MF before our game a few weeks ago, any questions you potentially want answered about UR feel free to ask away.
Could you stop being so nice please? It's hard to get some fire in the belly when you're being so friendly.