Ben T'eo

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Serb
Mullet

Re: Ben T'eo

Post by Serb »

Think that’s T’eo done. He’s 32, there’s no redemption on the cards at this point imo.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

offshorerules wrote:My comment was more that I prefer to see Ringrose and Henshaw together. I quite like him as a player but I think we are better off the way things have gone.
And so it came to pass.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Caliphi
Learner

Post by Caliphi »

He could do worse than look at James O'Connor. The 'Bad Boy' turned in a stunning performance for the Wallabies on Saturday.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Caliphi wrote:He could do worse than look at James O'Connor. The 'Bad Boy' turned in a stunning performance for the Wallabies on Saturday.
O'Connor did very well on Saturday and still has plenty in him as he's just turned 29. This time last year I saw him on the rip at the Edinburgh Fringe! Don't think Teo will have the same opportunities.. looks like he just wants the cash.

Speaking of the Edinburgh Fringe.. whole Scotland team were out on Saturday night on a bit of a team bonding exercise.No Teo/Brown style incidents to report.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd imagine Te'o is eying up a move to France and a lucrative two year contract somewhere.

Probably a bit old to return to NRL at this stage.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd say Te'o, with a Lions tour and a Six Nations championship under his belt is pretty happy thus far - and remember, Jones said that while he might name a squad, he could well make changes to it before the September 8 deadline. I wouldn't rule Te'o, Brown or any of the other suprise omissions out just yet. Eddie likes to act the bollix after all
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hadn't heard that, it's definitely changing then :lol:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Don't think there would have been too many tears in the Leinster camp this morning about Ben's non-selection. One of the Academy lads tried to teach him some Irish when he was with us and explained to him that "Me fein" meant 'Inside Centre'. That just about sums up his group behaviour.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Don't think there would have been too many tears in the Leinster camp this morning about Ben's non-selection. One of the Academy lads tried to teach him some Irish when he was with us and explained to him that "Me fein" meant 'Inside Centre'. That just about sums up his group behaviour.
Is that Ben Te'o who won the players player of the year when he was with us or a different one?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Don't think there would have been too many tears in the Leinster camp this morning about Ben's non-selection. One of the Academy lads tried to teach him some Irish when he was with us and explained to him that "Me fein" meant 'Inside Centre'. That just about sums up his group behaviour.

That goes against everything I've heard and seen. Very popular guy, especially with the senior players who really wanted him to hang on for another year and play for Ireland.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't like him myself because of a couple of stories I've heard but believe he was popular within the squad alright.

I wonder how things would have worked out if he'd stayed? Would he be starting in Japan with Robbie as a relatively experienced fullback behind him?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Seemed to be a popular guy based on social media posts too. Himself and DK/Noel Reid are particularly good mates I think.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Don't like him myself because of a couple of stories I've heard but believe he was popular within the squad alright.

I wonder how things would have worked out if he'd stayed? Would he be starting in Japan with Robbie as a relatively experienced fullback behind him?
Unlikely : Henshaw had moved back to his normal position as a centre before he left Connacht. He was pushed out to fullback due to retirement and injury.

He had a run at FB for Ireland A and nothing suggested he should stay there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Think you may have picked me up wrong, I was taking it that Henshaw would still have signed for us, so was assuming that we'd have tried to play the two of them and Ringrose a fair bit. We might not have ended up with Lowe, and I'm certainly happier to have him on board.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Gone on a short term deal to Toulon.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

John23 wrote:Gone on a short term deal to Toulon.
... and confirmed not eligible for selection for the world cup

That's him off the standby list so.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Te'o could very easily do another three years in France, make a load of money in the sun, and win some trophies. Great career and an excellent player. There's a tendency when someone is physically big and strong (and fast), and also Polynesian/Melanesian, for people to automatically poke holes in their technique/skillset/mindset/defensive abilities. It's really tiresome and a quite possibly occasionally racist.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

neiliog93 wrote:
Te'o could very easily do another three years in France, make a load of money in the sun, and win some trophies. Great career and an excellent player. There's a tendency when someone is physically big and strong (and fast), and also Polynesian/Melanesian, for people to automatically poke holes in their technique/skillset/mindset/defensive abilities. It's really tiresome and a quite possibly occasionally racist.
Good player, happy he is no longer at leinster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

neiliog93 wrote:
There's a tendency when someone is physically big and strong (and fast), and also Polynesian/Melanesian, for people to automatically poke holes in their technique/skillset/mindset/defensive abilities. It's really tiresome and a quite possibly occasionally racist.
There is, and he's a cracking player and was a really good signing for us at the time.

But I think it's also clear that he wasn't a good distributor and certainly when he came initially looked very out of place defensively. The latter improved a lot, the former not so much imo.

(Reminds me a bit of Tomane in that way, albeit Tomane doesn't have the same excuse of having come from a different sport!)
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

neiliog93 wrote:
There was also very reasonable criticisms to his technique and skillset that do not fall anywhere near to the remit of racism... more that they were very accurate.

Te'o's tendency to pass to his left was a deficiency in his game quandered many chances. In one of the Lions tests we had advantage in their 22 and a massive overlap. A simple pass out and we were in in the corner.

Don't get me wrong. I liked Te'o a lot and what he brought to Leinster was invaluable and very enjoyable to watch at times (see: Ospreys game in RDS when he made mush of Sam Davies) but poking holes in his technique and skillset wasn't unfounded. And still isn't imo
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick