Leinster v Connacht - a chance to silence the Lams

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Connacht - a chance to silence the Lams

Post by wixfjord »

This is a big un.

A win here and a chance to keep Connacht to no LBP would be very welcome.
Connacht looked a little toothless on Sat night, and are suffering from injuries.

Team I'd like to see, considering we may see rotation.

Bent (Healy likely out and McGrath rested), Strauss, Furlong, Moloney, McCarthy, Ruddock, VDF, SOB, McGrath (still out?), Sexton, DK, Madigan, Ringrose, Isa, RK

Reckon that has more than enough about it to get a win. Possibly like to see Tracy in at hooker, but would be a bit of a green front row in that case.

After dealing with Saili this week, very interested to see Ringrose v Aki.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Leinster v Connacht - a chance to silence the Lams

Post by COYBIB »

Uggh, can I say this? I'm going to anyway, I always thought the league should have been priority #1 this season, but even after a nice win tonight, we really are not a great team, we defended well, but I will never, ever rate a team who is not confident of being able to hold on to the ball for 40 seconds in their own 22 in order to win a game and deny the rival a losing bonus point. We kicked it out and gave them another crack which it just so happened ending up in an intercept try for us, but I think it's a shame to say, we are on a real upwards curve in the league, but I think that says a lot more about the opposition as it does about us.

Given the position Connacht are in (injuries wise - they couldn't field 23 players recently) and it being a home game, anything less than a comfortable win would be disappointing.

Unfortunately the level we are still at is more reflective of our results in Europe. Slowly the league is turning into a joke shop league (and some people will say it always was, but I disagree).
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

COYBIB wrote:...we defended well, but I will never, ever rate a team who is not confident of being able to hold on to the ball for 40 seconds in their own 22 in order to win a game and deny the rival a losing bonus point. We kicked it out and gave them another crack which it just so happened ending up in an intercept try for us, but I think it's a shame to say, we are on a real upwards curve in the league, but I think that says a lot more about the opposition as it does about us...
I think it says a lot about both teams. To my mind, we kicked for territory because we trusted in our defence. We didn't think Munster would be able to score from there, but off turnover ball from a knock on 10 metres out, anything can happen.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

COYBIB wrote:Uggh, can I say this? I'm going to anyway, I always thought the league should have been priority #1 this season, but even after a nice win tonight, we really are not a great team, we defended well, but I will never, ever rate a team who is not confident of being able to hold on to the ball for 40 seconds in their own 22 in order to win a game and deny the rival a losing bonus point. We kicked it out and gave them another crack which it just so happened ending up in an intercept try for us, but I think it's a shame to say, we are on a real upwards curve in the league, but I think that says a lot more about the opposition as it does about us.

Given the position Connacht are in (injuries wise - they couldn't field 23 players recently) and it being a home game, anything less than a comfortable win would be disappointing.

Unfortunately the level we are still at is more reflective of our results in Europe. Slowly the league is turning into a joke shop league (and some people will say it always was, but I disagree).
I think that's a huge misrepresentation.

You could just as logically say that we're improving week on week since Ulster, have started to reintegrate guys back in and gather a bit of form.
Tonight we trusted our defence and were clinical when we needed to be.
With regards closing the game out, that's a complete misnomer. Reddan kicked to touch out of the 22 because there was a good possibility we'd be turned over and our lineout and defence was excellent all night. Nothing wrong with that.

A weird attitude I must say, considering everything.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'd prefer not but think we'll see Te'o back for this one

Bent v White = long ass day of collapsed scrums
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:

You could just as logically say that we're improving week on week since Ulster, have started to reintegrate guys back in and gather a bit of form.
With regards closing the game out, that's a complete misnomer. Reddan kicked to touch out of the 22 because there was a good possibility we'd be turned over and our lineout and defence was excellent all night. Nothing wrong with that.

Couldn't agree more.

In the equivalent fixture last year we lost 28-13, i.e. beaten by 15 points. We won by 17 points this time around – a 32 point swing a year on. I'm pretty sure that that was our biggest margin of victory in Thomond in the professional era as well. Very, very happy with that result.

EDIT: With regards to the team to face Connacht, I would really like to see one of two young wingers – either Cian Kelleher or Adam Byrne – get a run. The performances from the other academy and development contract players [van der Flier, Ringrose, Tracy, Molony] have been extremely positive, and I think that both those lads have the potential to contribute in the same manner.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

In the equivalent fixture last year we lost 28-13, i.e. beaten by 15 points. We won by 17 points this time around – a 32 point swing a year on. I'm pretty sure that that was our biggest margin of victory in Thomond in the professional era as well. Very, very happy with that result.

EDIT: With regards to the team to face Connacht, I would really like to see one of two young wingers – either Cian Kelleher or Adam Byrne – get a run. The performances from the other academy and development contract players [van der Flier, Ringrose, Tracy, Molony] have been extremely positive, and I think that both those lads have the potential to contribute in the same manner.[/quote]

Agree 100%. Adam Byrne is someone ive been hoping to make the break through for a year or two.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

EDIT: With regards to the team to face Connacht, I would really like to see one of two young wingers – either Cian Kelleher or Adam Byrne – get a run. The performances from the other academy and development contract players [van der Flier, Ringrose, Tracy, Molony] have been extremely positive, and I think that both those lads have the potential to contribute in the same manner.
Agree totally on the winger thing.
We badly need pace in our backline.
Last night only Ringrose and Kirchner could have finished that intercept try.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

To be honest I don't think reddan did the right thing, Isa looked at pretty unhappy at him and I think he wanted the ball shifted to get more distance. Not that we shouldn't have cleared our lines, just reddan wasn't perhaps the best option.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote: Agree totally on the winger thing.
If I was a Munster fan, I'd be very annoyed at the Argentinian wing who's name I've forgotten for not making the remotest effort to chase him down. He was fresh while Kitchener was wrecked after a full match. Incredibly lazy, and something I hate to see.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:
If I was a Munster fan, I'd be very annoyed at the Argentinian wing who's name I've forgotten for not making the remotest effort to chase him down. He was fresh while Kitchener was wrecked after a full match. Incredibly lazy, and something I hate to see.
Joe Schmidt would certainly redden his arse for him alright.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

CiaranIrl wrote:
What are you talking about man, they love lazy wingers down there.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

simonokeeffe wrote:I'd prefer not but think we'll see Te'o back for this one

I don't get this line of thinking personally. Te'o is hugely effective, particularly in the league at a lower level, so we should continue to make use of him. Ringrose definitely needs gametime, but that doesn't mean Te'o should be marginalised.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote:

I don't get this line of thinking personally. Te'o is hugely effective, particularly in the league at a lower level, so we should continue to make use of him. Ringrose definitely needs gametime, but that doesn't mean Te'o should be marginalised.
+1, couldn't agree more.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:

Te'o only role now is to facilitate the graduation of Ringrose to first choice.
The same approach, sadly, now applies to Madigan in relation to Marsh/Byrne.
Any other approach is lost opportunity during a phase of rebuilding.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Any other approach is lost opportunity during a phase of rebuilding
No no no, absolutely not...

this is just silly talk, the entire squad needs to be focussed on winning the Pro12 or at least finish top 2 for top seeding in Europe next year. A shite pool draw can make this a really difficult competition.

Ringrose would have been getting plenty of exposure anyway in the second half of the season (he's clearly able) as would Marsh/Byrne with both Johnny and Maddser probably gone for the 6Ns.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Any other approach is lost opportunity during a phase of rebuilding.
Te'o and Madigan's only role, as it always is, is to be professional and do all they can do win games.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

+1, couldn't agree more.
Im talking about this fixture not the rest of the season
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Team I'd go for:

15. Kirchner (is Rob still struggling for fitness?)
14. D. Kearney
13. Ringrose
12. McFadden (Fitz could probably do with a break)
11. Kelleher
1o. Sexton (or Madigan if not fit)
9. Reddan
8. O'Brien (Heaslip has had a heavy workload)
7. van der Flier
6. Ruddock
5. McCarthy
4. Moloney (Toner might need his minutes managed)
3. Furlong
2. Strauss (is he ok?) or Cronin
1. McGrath

subs: 16. Tracy, 17. Dooley/Bent, 18. Moore, 19 Toner/Denton, 20. Ryan, 21. McGrath/McCarthy, 22. Marsh, 23. Nacewa
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Rob is fit, he was rested vs Munster. McFadden has been dreadful whenever he's played centre this season, that's definitely one to be avoided.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!