Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Mads to Bordeaux - confirmed

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:the press are confirming the stuff about him having good French and his family spending a lot of time there etc
The press are confirming the fact that they use fan fora for their information
Brendan Fanning opened his article last Sunday with one of my tweets but this forum is probably the best resource for a lot of them
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gutted to see him leave. He clearly loves Leinster, gives everything whenever he puts on the jersey, and has given us some great moments over the years. He's basically the guy that everyone wants to be when they grow up, the good looking and skilful golden boy who gets to run out in front of the RDS every week, hence why he's so prominent in all our marketing stuff and is mobbed by kids. It's a real shame to lose all that.

That's not to pretend that he's a perfect player though, and I think it's a bit ridiculous for people to mention MOC as if he's to blame for him leaving or for not being a better ten. I think MOC totally messed up the ten situation and played Mads at 12 without any real plan of what he wanted from him or how to get the best out of him, but I still doubt we'd have seen a massive improvement in consistency if he'd stuck with him at ten, just don't think he's that type of player.

I think Byrne is a great prospect and Marsh is a decent player too but we might be in trouble in the short term if Sexton is injured (not worried about his form going forward although his health does concern me), I'd be inclined to chance it and not sign an NIQ though. Not that we'd necessarily be allowed to, but I'm just trying to figure out if I'd be happy with the squad as is. I've said before that I want another power option along with Henshaw, particularly someone who could be around for the entirety of the league, but don't think that's going to happen if the rumours about Isa and Zane staying on are true. I must say that I'm excited about Crosbie getting more games though. Backing either Marsh or Byrne to play with Crosbie when the internationals are away could end up being a great combination for us.

Mads has come a long way from the talented schoolboy who was rumoured to be mentally weak and possibly too small for pro rugby. I've heard plenty of stories about how dedicated he was as a youngster and am delighted he's got a big money move, he's definitely earned it and I hope it works out really well for him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Gutted to see him leave. He clearly loves Leinster, gives everything whenever he puts on the jersey, and has given us some great moments over the years. He's basically the guy that everyone wants to be when they grow up, the good looking and skilful golden boy who gets to run out in front of the RDS every week, hence why he's so prominent in all our marketing stuff and is mobbed by kids. It's a real shame to lose all that.

That's not to pretend that he's a perfect player though, and I think it's a bit ridiculous for people to mention MOC as if he's to blame for him leaving or for not being a better ten. I think MOC totally messed up the ten situation and played Mads at 12 without any real plan of what he wanted from him or how to get the best out of him, but I still doubt we'd have seen a massive improvement in consistency if he'd stuck with him at ten, just don't think he's that type of player.

I think Byrne is a great prospect and Marsh is a decent player too but we might be in trouble in the short term if Sexton is injured (not worried about his form going forward although his health does concern me), I'd be inclined to chance it and not sign an NIQ though. Not that we'd necessarily be allowed to, but I'm just trying to figure out if I'd be happy with the squad as is. I've said before that I want another power option along with Henshaw, particularly someone who could be around for the entirety of the league, but don't think that's going to happen if the rumours about Isa and Zane staying on are true. I must say that I'm excited about Crosbie getting more games though. Backing either Marsh or Byrne to play with Crosbie when the internationals are away could end up being a great combination for us.

Mads has come a long way from the talented schoolboy who was rumoured to be mentally weak and possibly too small for pro rugby. I've heard plenty of stories about how dedicated he was as a youngster and am delighted he's got a big money move, he's definitely earned it and I hope it works out really well for him.
This.
He's just not a great 10. Closer to Keatley than Sexton, and has continually lacked some of the main skills to move beyond this judgement, as was shown the other night.
Occasional moments of brilliance are all well and good, but it really distorts how good he is, and some fan viewpoints of him.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Madigan from an international perspective is perfect for the bench.
The mistake MOC and Leo (marginal ) is in treating him the same way at Leinster.
Will Joe still include in his squads is going to be interesting.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

On what planet is mads closer to keatley than sexton??!! Keatley can't do anything that you need from a ten and his place kicking is at best, average. Mads is the best place kicker in Ireland by some distance. His ability to move the backline in recent times is more than sexton has shown. Sexton either throws his wraparound move which everyone has sussed out or he puts up a garryowen. Sexton is so out of form he is playing more like keatley than anyone. Although I do expect him to get back to the player he was 2 years ago!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

carlow man wrote:On what planet is mads closer to keatley than sexton??!! Keatley can't do anything that you need from a ten and his place kicking is at best, average. Mads is the best place kicker in Ireland by some distance. His ability to move the backline in recent times is more than sexton has shown. Sexton either throws his wraparound move which everyone has sussed out or he puts up a garryowen. Sexton is so out of form he is playing more like keatley than anyone. Although I do expect him to get back to the player he was 2 years ago!!!
Place kicking is a separate concern, he's the best on the island at that, which is of huge value.

In terms of the nuts and bolts of playing 10 he is. Form wise Sexton isn't playing well (albeit that's been distorted by one really poor game, he played well in the Aviva) but he's still a class above.

Other than the cross kick in Thomond, Madigan was poor.
Stabbed through kicks that weren't needed, kept turning back into traffic and put up some poor Garryowens that put us under pressure.
With regards the bolded, what exactly did he do the other night that showed this?
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Oldschool wrote:Madigan from an international perspective is perfect for the bench.
The mistake MOC and Leo (marginal ) is in treating him the same way at Leinster.
Will Joe still include in his squads is going to be interesting.

I hope that Joe will be fair and employ the same process that allowed Jonny to play despite not being in Ireland. I'd be disappointed if the precedent set was not followed.

I do wish Mads all the luck in the world. I know for a fact how hard he has worked over the years and I am looking forward to see what he can do when given the opportunity to start and have some continuity at 10. I think it came close to being Quins not Bordeaux who got his services, but that part of France is an area he knows pretty well, and the club seem to be going places too. Gutted for us though, but he wants to play 10, and with Jonny in his way he is not going to get the starts he wants. Its a short career and he wont want to get to 35 and look back and think what if....However, i'm hoping things go well for him, he shines and he's back with us in 2 years.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I'd say the marketing people love when this happens. Saw this yesterday in Lifestyle Sports. :D

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

RK looking very shifty....
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

As disappointing to lose Madigan as it was expected. He is the perfect versatility player for us, sees a huge amount of game time, but is a top level squad player filling in gaps and a bench player in our strongest 23 - not where he wants to be and probably less than his talent deserves. It was a very nice situation for us to have a player of his quality filling such a role in the squad, but obviously doesn't suit his ambition and best of luck to him.

If he remained in Ireland, it's very heavily rumoured there was a big push to get him to go south anyway, but it turned out we couldn't afford to keep him here anyway, or at least weren't willing to justify the money. If he was a nailed on starter in red they may have matched the deal, but not for his current status in Irish rugby sadly.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on in France. Johnny is getting up there in years and to be honest, a few of us have been saying this since he went to France (but not because of being in France) that his body is absolutely crocked. That thigh / groin issue he has goes back to at very least 2012 if not earlier, now kicking a ball is 50/50 on whether he can walk after it it seems, so I don't know how much millage is left in Johnny anyway, regardless of form which hopefully will come back - with all that in mind, hopefully Madigan develops a lot as a player over there and is an option to bring back in a couple of seasons.

I know people will disagree, but when it's more or less a 50/50 call on Madigan and Gopperth (which it was, both were pretty poor, as were a lot of players under MOC) it's a shame the nod wasn't in favour of the player who has a chance of being here long term, maybe 2 years of first choice 10 might have developed him into a more complete player, but we'll see how that turns out now after a stint in France hopefully.

We were already very light on numbers and quality in the backs this season, particularly in the centre, and with Te'o gone now, the squad is looking paper thin going into next season, we really need to get Kirchner off the books to free up a NIQ spot for better quality player - you can throw Triggs in there too, maybe just a complete reset button on the NIQs (with the exception of Nacewa as he's playing like he never left).
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Gavin Mortimer (@gavinmortimer7) quoted the President of Bordeaux this morning, saying that Mads was "taking badly his sporting situation" in Ireland and wanted to prove himself to the people back home.

I hope he goes on to great things, whether or not we ever see him back in Leinster colours again. I wonder what it says about our set up when we can't find a place for our best kicker.
A proud Winsome Fluter
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Gavin Mortimer (@gavinmortimer7) quoted the President of Bordeaux this morning, saying that Mads was "taking badly his sporting situation" in Ireland and wanted to prove himself to the people back home.

I hope he goes on to great things, whether or not we ever see him back in Leinster colours again. I wonder what it says about our set up when we can't find a place for our best kicker.
where would you play him? he may be our best kicker but he isn't our best 10 or 12 or 15.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

goreyguy wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:Gavin Mortimer (@gavinmortimer7) quoted the President of Bordeaux this morning, saying that Mads was "taking badly his sporting situation" in Ireland and wanted to prove himself to the people back home.

where would you play him? he may be our best kicker but he isn't our best 10 or 12 or 15.
I reckon he could turn into a great scrummy
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
goreyguy wrote:

I reckon he could turn into a great scrummy
should have been tried years ago, sadly it wasn't..
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Wel with Lionel Boxkicks there already, Maddser may find himself in the same situation as he did here, and you know how the French love a petit général, a position change may just be foisted upon him.

Don't think so personally, but it's not that improbable.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Hard not to see him fitting in well there. They play an attacking, running game that suits him. He is the type of 'flair' player the French like to watch. Personally, I like to watch that kind of ambitious rugby too and I plan on going to see him play there when I am in the area.
Racing is a cr@p club, with no fan base and nothing really likeable about it. Despite being a one hour train ride from me, I never seriously considered going to see Jonny there. The fact he played cr@p whenever I watched him on telly didn't help motivate me, nor the fact I don't like Paris.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Madigan leaving could be a blow if Sexton misses a lot of time through injury. It's possibly not unlikely that he'll have to be stood down for an extended period, like he was at Racing. Let's hope one or more of Marsh, Byrne and Crosbie is/are the real deal, eh?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:It's possibly not unlikely that he'll have to be stood down for an extended period, like he was at Racing.
Its very unlikely that he'll be stood down like he was at Racing as we don't have to play Ireland. He may be concussed, he may not be concusssed, but that had very little to do with concussion.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:It's possibly not unlikely that he'll have to be stood down for an extended period, like he was at Racing.
Its very unlikely that he'll be stood down like he was at Racing as we don't have to play Ireland. He may be concussed, he may not be concusssed, but that had very little to do with concussion.
Hmm. The way I heard it was based on medical advice that was sought and was one opinion. Another opinion received recommended considering discontinuing to play contact sports. That was what I was told. May of course be horse manure. What is clear is that signing Sexton was not very clever business given the amount of time he gets injured and will be with Ireland. At least we are not paying all his salary I guess.

You will remain in your default stance of Madigan is not a good outhalf. I will remain in my default stance of Madigan is the best running outhalf I have seen in Ireland in the 30 odd years I have been watching the game. He does of course have major flaws to his game and will never be as good as Sexton was in his prime (2011-13) but he is a big loss to Leinster at outhalf and last night demonstrated that in two ways: Sexton's predicament and the readiness of the supposed next in line.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote:I will remain in my default stance of Madigan is the best running outhalf I have seen in Ireland in the 30 odd years I have been watching the game.
If the 30 years excludes Paul Dean then I have no problem agreeing with you.
I have Bumbleflex